failed D1W1

Options
elv1ra
elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
So I finally decided to give it a go last night. I didn't make it. I didn't even make it halfway through. Am I the only one? Couch to 26 minutes of jogging and walking just wasn't possible for me. I made it through the 5 minute warm up and the first 2 90 second jogs before walking the rest of the way. Am I the only one who wasn't able to just jump into the program? how long did it take you to master week 1?

Replies

• addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My app had me start with 60 second runs. The 90 second runs were week 2. I did fine with 60 second intervals, but I might have failed too if I started with 90 second intervals
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Week 1 has 60 second run periods. You can see the schedule here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml (scroll down for the schedule)

90 seconds of runnning is too hard for the first time.

How was your breathing? If it was too laboured, slow down your pace. You'll feel as if you're going too slow and that you're hardly moving but it'll be the speed you need to start at.

You can do this. Try again and don't give up. It's a great feeling to run. You can do this....really, you can.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    That's totally fine, especially if you aren't used to running! Next time do the 60 second run, 1:30 walk, and make sure you aren't sprinting. Also if it's hot by you, I know it was by me today, you run way slower and overheat faster so please make sure you don't injure yourself!
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow the app I'm doing (Zombies, Run! 5K) starts of with 15 second running intervals (1 min walking, 15 seconds jogging x 10), week two is 1 minute walking 30 seconds jogging x 5.... and I'm struggling with that, there is no way I would be able to jump straight in to a 90 second jog. Maybe try a different program?
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who said just try to slow down and keep your breathing steady. I think the first time I ever did c25k was nearly two years ago and I wasn't able to make it through the first day. This time I really pushed myself to create a good "base" first- walking 4 to 5x/ week at a very fast pace; until I felt like I couldn't push myself any more without running (I did this for a couple months). Then I restarted c25k, and while it's still been difficult, I'm now in week 5!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am on week four and no way I do the 5 min. I decided to repeat it and work on an even pace. I took me 31 min and it was hard. Slow and easy. If I have to repeat the weeks I will.:-)
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You need to switch to the Rundouble C25K app. The first week is 60 sec of running, 90 sec of walking. I think you will find that to be much more manageable. Run slowly, I mean ridiculously slow, I almost jogged in place sometimes. Your goal right now is to get through the intervals, don't worry about your time, that will increase with practice. Talk to yourself, keep telling yourself that you can do it, its only a few more seconds, etc. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I finally decided to give it a go last night. I didn't make it. I didn't even make it halfway through. Am I the only one? Couch to 26 minutes of jogging and walking just wasn't possible for me. I made it through the 5 minute warm up and the first 2 90 second jogs before walking the rest of the way. Am I the only one who wasn't able to just jump into the program? how long did it take you to master week 1?

As long as you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes you should be able to finish this.

Notwithstanding the points about the time, and from experience week one is 90 seconds walking and 60 seconds running, so a total of 8 minutes of running in 30, most people run too fast.

Keep your pace down, it's not a flat out sprint for the running intervals. I'd suggest aiming for a pace that allows you to talk, not a ful blown conversation but coherent sentences.

The point of C25K is to get you running for 30 minutes, it's not about the pace that you run for, that can come later.

Personally I used the NHS C25K podcasts, rather than an app, so it might be worth reviewing the version that you're using and making sure it's an appropriate one.

fwiw, 18 months ago I found the first sessions quite difficult. The final run session always had me blowing out towards the end. Now I'm consistently running 10km four times per week, so the capacity builds up fairly quickly.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I nearly died in weeks 1 and 2 because I was trying to run too fast. Just go really slowly.

And what others have said, the original plan was designed by runners, who do know what they are talking about and then all these spin-off apps have decided (or not) to follow that plan. Some apps are designed for eight weeks only, but I do think it's beneficial to choose the nine-week programme - because it was designed by people who know what they are talking about.

I used the NHS podcasts for free and was happy with them. Laura has good commentary and somehow manages to talk at the exact moment when I needed to hear some cheering on or more info about the day at hand.

You'll find the overview of C25K for instance here: http://www.c25k.com (including translated versions) (Do pick the time-based rather than distance-based version, though.)