How much time to spend at the gym?

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
For those that have seen good results from weights, how much time in the gym do you spend lifting? My workout routine takes about a 45min to an hour. 15 of it on cardio and 30-45 on weights. Curious if that is in-line with what others do?

Replies

• riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I spend 2 hours just on weights. You should keep all 45min to an hour for weight training and then cardio as much as you want
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    About an hour and a half doing MADCOW plus accessories, 3x/week.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    60-70 minutes 3 times per week lifting weights. Cardio 30-35 minutes a couple of times per week on non- lifting days.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For those that have seen good results from weights, how much time in the gym do you spend lifting? My workout routine takes about a 45min to an hour. 15 of it on cardio and 30-45 on weights. Curious if that is in-line with what others do?

Goals and training experience are going to play a huge role in that, IMO.

My training takes around two hours but lately I've been training primarily for strength, so the loads are a bit heavier and rest times are a bit longer, and the training emphasizes squat/bench/deadlift.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I saw great body comp results from doing a 20 min warm up/mobility followed by 30-45 min of hard weight work, 4-6x/week. With short conditioning/intervals at the end.

Now my time spent varies--if I am training for a powerlifting meet, it's more like 2 hours, 4x/week, plus 30-45 min conditioning 1-2x/week. My preference is to spend about 6-10 hours/week at the gym, but some of that is just hanging out/enjoying the community.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting I did HIT with just 5 lifts, twice a week: Squat, Deadlift, OHP, Bench Press, and Lat Pulldowns. HIT is just one set to failure in the 6-9 rep range.... so each workout lasted maybe 20 minutes. My strength skyrocketed and I also put on quite a bit of mass. It is hard to say if it was due to newbie gains or what, but it worked for me.

Today my routine is Jim Wendler's 4-day triumvirate split, but my set/rep scheme is still basically HIT combined with Ed Coan's 10-week periodization plan. That is, I start out with a 10 rep set at the beginning of a cycle and work my way up to heavier weight and a higher max after about 10 weeks.

If you want to minimize gym time, my recommendation is to do squats (front and back), deadlifts, dips, and chin-ups on a 2-day split. That will hit every single muscle in the body. As far as the set/rep scheme is concerned, that depends on your goals, but I highly recommend doing some form of periodization. The higher reps at the start of a cycle will allow your muscles to recover from the intensity of the heavy weight from the previous cycle.

If there is anything I have learned it is that the heavier you lift, the more time your body needs to recuperate. Deloads and ample rest at the end of a cycle are absolutely critical to prevent injury and stalling.

Good luck. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    About 50-70 mins lifting.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the effort you are giving, not how long it's taking you. There are lots of 30 minutes routines that are far better than lots of 90 minute routines.

It's about the lifts you do and the intensity with which you do them... not the length of time the routine takes.

But to your question... I spend anywhere from 45 mins to an hour in the gym, 30ish minutes actually lifting depending on the day.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

It's more how much you do in any time frame vs how long it takes to do it. I can probably do the same amount of lifts in 35-45 min in the time it takes someone else to do the same in 1 hour. I superset most things and sometimes triple set.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I spend a longer time on average when I can get in a full session, but that is really due to the fact that I train for powerlifting and I have a lot of warm up sets and a lot of rest in between sets. Plus at the moment 2 of my 4 sessions are full body. My sessions can take between 2 and 3 hours if I were to get all the lifts and assistance work in. I often end up splitting it into 2 sessions - one in the morning/day and one in the evening (or even the next day). I lift at home so I am pretty sure this leads to longer sessions - more rest time and distractions.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My goals are really non specific- and I spend about an hour in the gym in and out. Most of my warm-up is dynamic stretching. No cardio.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wow, 2-3 hours? I wish
    I guess no one here has small kids :ohwell:
    1 hour 3-4x / week, but I do supersets and do not rest much