Let's Get Personal.....Running Shorts/Underwear

Options
124»

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

The mesh brief provides enough support and it's cooler than wearing anything else under. There's no physiological need for support in a similar way to women benefiting from a sports bra, it's really just a question of putting up with the movement.

I just imagine people pointing and laughing as you go swing-a-ling by ;-)

To each their own eh!

Why would anyone point and laugh at a swinging c0ck? That's what they do, swing. It's natural. Like breast feeding.

This made me laugh out loud for real.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The mesh brief provides enough support and it's cooler than wearing anything else under. There's no physiological need for support in a similar way to women benefiting from a sports bra, it's really just a question of putting up with the movement.

To each their own eh!

The idea of wearing anything underneath them baffles me tbh. I can see the logic of wearing something over running tights if one is sufficiently bashful, but let face it, we're not out there to take part in a fashion show :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

To each their own eh!

Why would anyone point and laugh at a swinging c0ck? That's what they do, swing. It's natural. Like breast feeding.

hahaha! love it.

I used to wear underwear but now I don't when I run unless there isn't a built in liner. In the winter under running tights if it is really cold I wear small compression shorts under my tights.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    add me to the commando list!!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My road running group is called the Commandos. True story :)
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    no underwear if the shorts have a liner/built in underwear. I think your friends are the weirdo's!
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to wear compression shorts under my shorts (with liner) but I found I'd get rubbage on my "man parts." So I went back to commando and I apply a bit of Vaseline in this area to avoid any rubbing, etc.

FYI I've been putting in 70-mile weeks in the humid Louisiana swamps, I doubt many places compare to our conditions.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ...I am definitely not investing in 6+ pairs of running shorts!

Does not compute. Can't comprehend.

I think I own 8 pairs of shorts with liners, 2 pairs without, at least 3 skirts (tennis ftw), 5 pairs of tights, plus sooooo many capris.

I hate doing laundry & I seem to have a shopping problem lol

I've banned myself from buying more workout clothes.

If I could I would, but as a soon-to-be-quite-poor grad student... 2 pairs of compression shorts + butt loads of underwear will do just fine. Currently saving some dollars so I can afford some nice tights/leggings for winter running because those are gosh darn expensive! Maybe one day I can afford an extensive running wardrobe and join the commando band wagon!

I got some running tights from Target last winter that were kind of fleecy on the inside. Super cozy. They were good on their own to 15 or 20 degrees and then good to around 0 layered under a pair of non-winter running tights. In general, the Champion stuff at Target seems decent.

I'll also second the Old Navy recommendation. I got a few pairs of shorts (with liners!) there for $5 each a couple months ago. If you subscribe to their sale emails you can keep an eye out for deals.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to say, i do enjoy wearing my undies under my running gear...seems like i'm the odd duck out! i do however wear seemless painties that are the comfiest underwear i have ever owned from victoria secret, on shorter runs, i just stick with my seemless coton painties, they do me just fine.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I used to wear compression shorts under my shorts (with liner) but I found I'd get rubbage on my "man parts." So I went back to commando and I apply a bit of Vaseline in this area to avoid any rubbing, etc.

FYI I've been putting in 70-mile weeks in the humid Louisiana swamps, I doubt many places compare to our conditions.

Lived there for 4 years. I feel your pain, though I topped out at 35 miles a week. I once had a cop "pull" me over to ask me what I was doing while I was out running cause he wanted to know what i was doing. Running is a strange sight in Louisiana!
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    in the summer I just wear my running shorts with the liners, I find Target makes really nice ones and they are cheap. In the winter, and since I hate so very much being cold, I wear more layers so yes undies get worn then
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

To each their own eh!

Since this thread won't die and has so many advocates of going au naturel, I figured I should try it before I knock it any more.

It was surprisingly OK - there wasn't much swing-a-ling at all (which rather disappointed me actually) and I forgot about it after a couple of kms.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I prefer boxer briefs too much bounce around otherwise. I ran a 5k one time in too big underwear and felt like I was constantly pulling them up so they weren't hanging out below my shorts. I wont make that mistake again.

29509743.png