Eating more due to running/running to combat overeating

Options
mimoumoses
mimoumoses Posts: 11 Member
How many of us use running to compensate eating? I know I do and yet running is something I also enjoy for it's own merits. I would like to keep up a regular running routine without mentally off setting this against food eaten so looking for tips and perhaps some people to become friends with to support my use of MFP and in return support you.

I also ran my first marathon this year in April but have recently been struggling with only 5 miles at a time due to the summer heat. Now the autumn is becoming nearer I am excited at the prospect of picking up some more miles again. Any tips you can give me regarding balancing this with a healthy eating regime would be gratefully received.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It is hard to stay in control of eating during marathon training. I want to eat everything! I am training for #3 and I am up 5 lbs. ha!

I started to eat less during the day because I tend to want to eat more in the evening. That's what I do anyway. I
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I really try not to, but my husband should have a shirt "Will run for Brunch!" because that is all he thinks about, talks about, jokes about once we get past 3 miles. The only way I'm managing to control the "Eat EVERYTHING" is by being very careful with when I take in my carbs and trying to bracket my run with the majority of my carb intake for the day.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I definitely do this. I plan my food around my running schedule. Long run day=big meal day. I know you shouldn't reward yourself with food but I still do it. There has been many a long run I've only gotten through because I promised myself something delicious at the end. Maybe not the healthiest attitude toward food but still better than sitting on the couch and eating junk.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me to dissociate running/exercise with food is to switch to the TDEE method. It takes a little trial and error to find your TDEE and it only works if you are pretty consistent in your exercise, but since switching, I no longer even think about the calories I burn through exercise. Exercise is for health and fitness and I am much better off mentally with this attitude. That said, I have based my TDEE on running approximately 30 miles per week, so my plan as I head into marathon training is to increase my weekly calorie consumption by 80 calories for every mile over 30 that I run. This is just to ensure that I am getting sufficient nutrition.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is really hard to tell which comes first: the running? or the eating?
    When I run, I get much more hungry. It can seem like I am running so that I can eat as much as I do without gaining weight. And, I LOVE eating and obsess about it a bit.
    But then, when I do not run for a few days, i am not as hungry. I eat less, and wouldn't need to run to control my weight.
    I don't know!
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think it is really hard to tell which comes first: the running? or the eating?
    When I run, I get much more hungry. It can seem like I am running so that I can eat as much as I do without gaining weight. And, I LOVE eating and obsess about it a bit.
    But then, when I do not run for a few days, i am not as hungry. I eat less, and wouldn't need to run to control my weight.
    I don't know!

This is me!!!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I actually find that as long as I fuel my long run properly (usually an energy bar before and sips of an energy drink during so total of around 400 cals) I don't often get excessively hungry. Ok I'm only running HM's atm so around 30-35miles a week training but its rare I'm really hungry afterwards. In fact after my Club sessions on Tues/ Thurs I often have to make myself eat when I get home as am used to training in a morning and having dinner around 6pm so come 8-8:30pm I'm not hungry. That said, when I do fancy something higher in calories its nice that I have them available :D
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I actually find that as long as I fuel my long run properly (usually an energy bar before and sips of an energy drink during so total of around 400 cals) I don't often get excessively hungry.

I agree with this. I've been eating a little after my harder or longer runs lately and I find it helps me stave off the crazy hungry feeling that can come later in the day or even the next day when you are logging a lot of quality or quantity in terms of miles. I'm still kind of experimenting, but just having a little something to eat after I run is really helpful (300 to 350 kcal, maybe). Also, I generally just try to eat back my exercise calories most days even if I'm not really hungry lately. Again, it seems to stop me from going nutso foodwise later in the week.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for running. I think it's the only way I've been able to maintain a weight I'm happy with. Instead of wanting 2200ish Cals/day but only needing 2000 (=weight gain), I want 2500 but burn at least that much :bigsmile:

I've just kind of accepted that I'm a fat kid at heart and need to be extra active to compensate. So I guess I'm not much help re: what to do about it.

ETA: But I do love running for the sake of running, too. The eating is just a side benefit :smile:
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When i was running 6+ miles, I would make a chocolate milk drink including greek yoghurt, ground almonds, smooth PB to have post-run. I found it so filling it broke the cycle of get home, shower, get dressed, eat the contents of the fridge and cupboards and then make lunch...i had got into!

Note to self: I probably need to restart this!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Most of the week, I just eat my regular breakfast and try to get a decent amount of protein, veggies, carbs, etc. I don't use my running to compensate for food the rest of the week, but rather use my food to fuel my running. When I don't eat well, I can REALLY feel it, because I'm hungry and my runs feel very blaaaah. But if I'm eating enough fruits/veggies and protein, I find that I'm not excessively hungry and I can net my 1400-ish without a problem and feel great for running.

However... on long run days? I eat whatever I want basically, after my post-run chocolate milk, scrambled eggs, and coffee. I still log everything, but sometimes it's hard to come close to the 2800-3400 (total) calories I'm allotted after my long runs. The only way I can get close is by eating some grotesque restaurant cheeseburger... and boy, is it delicious!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Guilty...

running_6eating1.png
    I definitely do this. I plan my food around my running schedule. Long run day=big meal day. I know you shouldn't reward yourself with food but I still do it. There has been many a long run I've only gotten through because I promised myself something delicious at the end. Maybe not the healthiest attitude toward food but still better than sitting on the couch and eating junk.
    This. So much this. Sometimes, while I'm running, I'm thinking about the ice cream I'll get to eat.

edit: I'll second ekat. I do run for my betterment and because I enjoy it, but it sure is nice to be able to fit in more food.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Guilty...

running_6eating1.png
    This. So much this. Sometimes, while I'm running, I'm thinking about the ice cream I'll get to eat.

edit: I'll second ekat. I do run for my betterment and because I enjoy it, but it sure is nice to be able to fit in more food.

So much yes to the Oatmeal! I run past no less than 5 donut shops on my long run route. (it's Texas, what do you expect?) The smell alone is enough to make you crazy. I fantasize about those delicious donuts.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I run right past a bakery (that makes very nice bread) many mornings and the smell of fresh baked bread can indeed be a distraction.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'd hate to see what I'd weight if I didn't run. My appetite is constant.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Guilty...

running_6eating1.png

So much yes to the Oatmeal! I run past no less than 5 donut shops on my long run route. (it's Texas, what do you expect?) The smell alone is enough to make you crazy. I fantasize about those delicious donuts.

In run past 5 Tim Hortons on my regular 6-10 miles runs... I'm not even talking about my long run route.
  • mimoumoses
    Options
    Sometimes we have to accept that we are the way we are I suppose and if running helps you to enjoy your food that's not necessarily a bad thing. Thanks everyone, I want to 'like' all your posts (FB has ruined me) and glad to see I'm not the only one who struggles a little with food and exercise.
  • mimoumoses
    Options
    One thing that has helped me to dissociate running/exercise with food is to switch to the TDEE method. It takes a little trial and error to find your TDEE and it only works if you are pretty consistent in your exercise, but since switching, I no longer even think about the calories I burn through exercise. Exercise is for health and fitness and I am much better off mentally with this attitude. That said, I have based my TDEE on running approximately 30 miles per week, so my plan as I head into marathon training is to increase my weekly calorie consumption by 80 calories for every mile over 30 that I run. This is just to ensure that I am getting sufficient nutrition.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is TDEE? I'm intrigued
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love running and I love eating and I think it's great that the two activities complement each other so well, but I don't have any hang-ups about either. OP, I think you just need to keep doing what you're doing until running is so much a part of your life that you don't have to mentally balance it against food. The difference between 'I will run extra miles today so I can eat more calories' and 'I'm running 5 miles today because that's what works best for my current trainng... hey, great, I can eat more calories too!'

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure and the method mentioned above is working out the average of what you burn over, say, a week (through general daily existence AND regular running) and just eating that every day, rather than having a lower daily goal and then adding back calories for exercise each day. That way exercise is already included and you don't have the temptation to do a couple of extra miles for a slice of cake or whatever.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Sorry for my ignorance but what is TDEE? I'm intrigued

TDEE is "Total Daily Energy Expenditure". It is meant to be an average of your daily calorie burn. There are on-line calculators that can help you figure out, but it does take a bit of trial and error to hone in on exactly where you should be. But once you figure it out, you can aim to eat that amount every day (or shoot for a weekly average). The formula already accounts for your exercise, so you do not eat back exercise calories. It works well if you are fairly consistent in your exercise routine. Also, knowing that my exercise calories are already accounted for helps to keep me motivated to exercise, but I do not spend time obsessing about how many calories I burned with each workout.

For example, My TDEE is around 2000 calories per day (I am 42 yo, 100 lbs). Feel free to take a look at my diary, but last week (8/3-8/10) I was on vacation , so I went over almost everyday : )