PCOS & Desk Jobs

Heyyy ladies! I've been on MYFITNESSPAL for a long time but never joined a group haha. Anyhow, I had my weight and symptoms under control until December when I moved from an incredibly ACTIVE job to a desk job [marketing and graphic design]. I have gained 12lbs in the last six months which may not sound like a lot but I am the gal that prepped cooked all her meals, worked out 4-5x a week and eat clean/paleo 75% of the time. I worked REALLY hard to get down to 138lbs (size 4/6) before I switched careers and now NOTHING I do makes the scale budge from 153 (size 8). :(

I have started Crossfit as of a week ago to try to vamp up the intensity and diversity of my workouts...

How do you ladies with PCOS and a desk job manage a high level of fitness?? Any tips? Supplements? What generally is your macro percentage to maintain or lose and what calorie intake is that usually?

Thanks!

Short PCOS story: diagnosed at age 20... went on birth control for two years, have been off of BC for three years now. I manage naturally with my holistic doc. Not interested in taking birth control, having babies right now or taking any meds. I take lots of herbs and vitamins and have managed my PCOS almost exclusively with diet and exercise. Symptoms include unwanted hair, elevated testosterone levels, sometimes non-existent periods, small cysts, insulin resistance.

Replies

• teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    One thing that really helps me with my desk job is a pedometer. I have a fitbit and I love it. I make sure to go out of my way to walk during the day, I usually hit 10,000 steps. Every time I have to use the restroom, I walk to the farthest one, and then make a loop of the building. Whenever I'm waiting for a meeting, I go early and walk around the room until other people show up. When I need to talk to someone, I walk to their desk instead of calling or emailing them. I also park as far as I can from the building, and take the extra few minutes for the additional walk. It makes a huge difference.

I also am fortunate enough to have a gym in the building. I go at lunch at least 3x a week and lift heavy weights. When I have time I'll do cardio on the other 1-2 days, but not that often. Both workouts take me around 30 minutes. Honestly though, 90% of my success has been diet-related. Year before last I was down about 60 lbs. Last year I gained 17 of those back, despite keeping up my healthy diet with calorie deficit and heavy lifting. I was diagnosed in January, and have lost 31 lbs since then. My doctor put me on Metformin, but he also has me eating <50g of Net carbs a day. I eat the same amount of calories that I was before, and the same protein (around 100g a day). I just lowered my carbs and upped my fat, and I immediately started losing weight again. I eat around 1600 calories a day, which is a little lower than most people who lift, but I think our metabolisms can run a little slower with PCOS. I don't want to drop it too low and feel deprived/hungry, so I found a place where I'm happy and still losing weight.

You might want to start tracking your macros and just see where you are at. I always encourage people to eat as many carbs as they can and still lose weight, but many women with PCOS end up needing to reduce their carbs to continue weight loss. That might mean <150g, it might mean <20g. It's going to depend on your bodies level of insulin resistance. If you were really determined you could just go full keto and lower it to 5%. I can't keep that level going long term, so I found the point that my body prefers for now. There are lots of resources online, and pinterest has tons of awesome recipes. I still eat a carb-heavy meal 1x a week to refill my glycogen for lifting, and it really helps me mentally. It gives me something to look forward to, and allows me to still enjoy some of the things that I can't normally fit into my diet.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    I had the same problem. I went from walking 15 to 20 miles a day in the field to sitting at a desk and reviewing the reports of the people doing the 15 miles. I'm also a fairly recent mother, so maintaining a high level of activity was just not in the cards. I had to manage it the other way, which is restricting calories. I was eating to sustain the old lifestyle, not the new. If you have the time to continue a level of activity that simulates your former job, then great! If not, I had considerable success logging in calories and making changes there.

PS - I do everything Teddiebare mentioned, as well as I stand up every time I answer the phone.
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    What do you have your activity level set to? Did you change it? I set it to sedentary and just track activity because I don't get much activity unless it's planned exercise. Oh and I too am now doing the low carb, high fat lifestyle. Carbs are evil to us with insulin resistance, so is excess protein. So far I feel great. I try to keep my total carbs around 50.
  • emilyjtruax
    emilyjtruax Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks ladies!! I think I need to buckle down on my macros.... and the pedometer idea is a really good idea too!!! Hadn't even though of that...duh. Haha.

I have been so discouraged lately, thanks for the encouragement!!! :):):)
  • jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    GET OUT OF MY LIFE!! I've had the same problem this past year--switching from an active, on-my-feet, lifting heavy objects job, to a sit-in-front-of-a-computer for 8.5 hours and commute another hour a day job. I gained 14 lbs in about 5 months (shows how many cals I burned before!) and was struggling to fit into the new wardrobe of business casual clothes that I had bought only months earlier :(

While carpooling with my very fit friend who has worked this type of job for years, I asked her how she stays trim with all of the sitting, and she replied that she had to reduce her calories to accomodate this new lifestyle. While it made me sad not to be able to treat myself like I could before when I was running around (literally) all day, I realized that I needed to shift my intake to match my new, sadly reduced activity level. I am a lunch-packer, so it hasn't been difficult, and with logging on MFP to be sure, I've dropped over 6 pounds in 5 weeks :)

I do try to find ways to get up and move around. I use the bathroom on the first floor and aim to jog up the stairs 5 times a day. I'll lunge across my office or do squats at my desk when my coworker leaves the room. If I'm taking a break and playing on my cell phone, I pace around the room or just stand. Until I switched jobs, I never gave much credit to the calorie burn that just being on your feet provides without you even having to think about--now I try to take every opportunity to get off my butt!

Good luck to you! You are definitely not alone in this struggle. :)
  • emilyjtruax
    emilyjtruax Posts: 3 Member
    Oh my word this sounds just like me!!!! I really did burn thousands of calories during the day at my other job and I didn't even think about it. I have been trying to walk as much as my job allows... and workout after work and yes, sadly I have found I just have to reduce the amount I eat :(:(.
  • I have had this problem as well. I luckily work for a very very health conscience boss who is ok with me working out at my desk. Maybe you can as well?

Aside from my pedometer - I use a medicine ball to sit on and therefore can do crunches and such while typing. I also have a 11 inch step where I do 3 minutes each leg. I do a 1 minutes wall sit and then squats. This is all stretched out through out the day but mostly around lunch time a little before and a little after I eat. OHHHH! I also quit sitting so much, I stand and type a lot!

There are plenty of "desk exercises" you can find online that can help you keep active while you do your job!

I hope this helps! I know I have seen remarkable changes in my body since I started this along with my after work work outs! :)