Day 25, August 13

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Good morning!

We're halfway through the challenge. I need to step it up because I've already spent the $50 in my head.

Got on the scale this morning, same place and time, up another pound since yesterday, so yeah, that's not real weight unless in my sleep I'm driving into town and eating fast food.

K.

Replies

• ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This challenge is just flying by!

Karen, just throw that number on the spreadsheet that Pat recommended and don't think about it (easier said than done). Soon enough the scale will reflect the work that has been put in, but a few fluctuations will be thrown in there from time to time.

P.S. If you are sleep driving it makes me grateful that I have a buffer of a few states between us haha.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Morning sweetheart! I am just catching up from yesterday's posts so I will carry over my response into today's thread.

YAY for the boots! I love me the idea of calf boots! I have enormous tree trunk German legs. Even when I was thin, I have disproportionate legs. I think we have talked about this where I thought I might have that disease because of my thick legs. My friend even said last weekend, OMG, your legs are so swollen. I had to explain to her that is the way they are all the time, she just hadn't seen me in shorts before. Anyways, so, I get you about trying to find calf boots. I actually have 2 pairs, a brown and black pair that are stretchy and fit, I just don't wear them because they are about a size too big with really high heels.

I like the idea of graphing the weight. The MFP report is kind of hoakie.

Ok, time to get some work done. Good day everyone!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Regarding boots, I bought two pairs from Simply Be last year because they had lots of calf widths: http://www.simplybe.com/page/sizingfootwear They're also fairly reasonably priced for what they are! My only issue is that they didn't have much support, but a pair of insoles fixed that problem.

I'm so fed up with this cold/sinus infection. I just want to get back to the gym! I feel way too gross to go as I am because when I start working up a sweat, I also start leaking out my nose and coughing a bunch :( I've been walking a bunch to make up for it, but the strength training stuff will be a pain to go backwards on.
  • ronercat
    Options
    I also bought a pair of calf boots last year! Granted they were for my Santa costume, but still...

Norah, hopefully you will be able to get back to the gym soon. Being forced to miss it is never a fun thing.

I guess I never updated people about my quest for that dog. Sadly for me he was adopted at the roller derby itself so I did not have the chance to get him. I will keep looking and I will find another large dog to adopt in the near future. Racquetball yesterday was a ton of fun, but I think I overdid it. The good news is that my friends feel the same way so we can be sore together and console each other haha.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hahahahaa,you guys crack me up. Zac, they have some lovely boots that look like what Tim Curry wore in Rocky Horror. Let me know if you want the link. Norah, get to the doctor and get an antibiotic!!! This is your online mother speaking!

I'm disappointed today that we're halfway through the challenge and I haven't lost the 21pounds I'd anticipated (yes, I live in a fantasy world). Now that I really think about it rationally, 6-9 pounds at this point is realistic, and I met that goal. So my goal for the second half is another 6-9.

In the meantime, we can celebrate the NSV's, like Norah walking 20,000 steps!

What's your Non Scale Victory?
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Okay, obviously I have no life so I am constantly posting in here. Frigging Maine summer has turned into the summer of Noah's Ark. Rain, more rain, more rain, COLD (it's 59 right now), and more rain. Although to put things in perspective, I'm looking at the lake right now and thinking I should go for my swim while the rain is light rather than waiting for the torrential, flooding downpours that are coming later.

NSV's for me are huge, especially in terms of prepping for bariatric surgery. I'm not binge eating any more. When I do go over my calories, it's because I ate something that is high fat/high sugar rather than because my portions are out of control. That feels good. As a life time binge and night eater, I felt trapped by my eating disorder, and to feel some of the freedom from food obsession is wonderful.

Attitude adjustment. You guys are a great source for this. My past dieting fails have all been accompanied by self loathing and beating myself up. I had my life so together in every other way, professionally and personally, and yet I couldn't slay this dragon of my fat self. Well, I'm not the sum of my weight, and my worth isn't dictated by the scale. My weight loss efforts are for better health not better self esteem. I'm awesome, fat or thin.

K.
  • ronercat
    Options
    For me a recent NSV would have to be when I took my dog for a walk on Monday. Instead of a nice leisurely walk I decided to jog a portion of it and I was able to do so without dying. I also had a random stranger say I was quite agile for a bigger man (they were watching my friends and I play racquetball).
  • KarenZen
    Options
    For me a recent NSV would have to be when I took my dog for a walk on Monday. Instead of a nice leisurely walk I decided to jog a portion of it and I was able to do so without dying. I also had a random stranger say I was quite agile for a bigger man (they were watching my friends and I play racquetball).

Great!!!

That's why you need to film yourself doing synchronized swimming!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am late posting, but I am busy with work stuff and now trying to book my Xmas holidays. Two of my friends are joining me so we are going on a ROAD trip! lol That should be fun. We have decided to spend New Years Eve in Vegas. I don't even gamble!! One does, the other one dabbles. Sure hope the outlet malls are open for me!! Will have to check out the entertainment too. Will be fun to take my friends home for the holidays!!

You guys are doing great!! I love reading about your exploits. My NSV is well....heck...none really recently. When I was home during the summer I was able to jog like Zac. I did it almost every day, having NEVER been able to do it. My knee did not hurt nor did it 'give out' on me.

Have a great one folks. I will be online more this weekend....and Karen, should be able to get those spices for you on my trip on Saturday..that I take regularly every 5 weeks!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Sorry I am late posting, but I am busy with work stuff and now trying to book my Xmas holidays. Two of my friends are joining me so we are going on a ROAD trip! lol That should be fun. We have decided to spend New Years Eve in Vegas. I don't even gamble!! One does, the other one dabbles. Sure hope the outlet malls are open for me!! Will have to check out the entertainment too. Will be fun to take my friends home for the holidays!!

You guys are doing great!! I love reading about your exploits. My NSV is well....heck...none really recently. When I was home during the summer I was able to jog like Zac. I did it almost every day, having NEVER been able to do it. My knee did not hurt nor did it 'give out' on me.

Have a great one folks. I will be online more this weekend....and Karen, should be able to get those spices for you on my trip on Saturday..that I take regularly every 5 weeks!!!

Thank you, Nancy! I'm so excited!!!
    I know you're crazy busy with accreditation stuff; make sure you take time to take care of you!
    I would put getting on that treadmill during this challenge as a good NSV!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Okay, I really need to shut off the computer and get some stuff done. Just one question... did you all see that link yesterday about gaining weight after a workout?

Heather has posted a few times about how she always gains weight when she starts working out (I think she said over 6 pounds last time), so I finally did some research into why this happens, and I was really surprised by the answer! I knew that when we work out, our muscles develop micro tears (part of that breaking down and rebuilding process), but I didn't know that these tears fill with water (as they try to flush out lactic acid?) as part of the healing process. Part of the muscle soreness and stiffness we feel after a workout is that inflammation, and that weight gain is all the fluid in the muscles. Over time and with regular workouts, our muscles won't retain as much water. Key to helping with the healing, though, is to make sure you get enough protein before and after a workout so your body has what it needs for tissue building.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Karen,

Do we have to come over and slap you with wet noodles (pleas say yes).

One, your still focusing on your numbers and it's not even the end of the week.

Two 11lbs in 23 days is very good! Thats 3.28 weeks, which means you have been loosing 3.35lbs a week. Thats a great amount. Unless your taking this stuff off with a scalpel (and sometimes I wonder if Zac is removing body parts) their nothing wrong with that amount except for what you have fantasized it should be. Especially given all your health issues 3lbs a week is fantastic. By day, that's 0.47lbs, that's easily masked by the amount of water and food your adding or removing from your body throughout the day. So no more of this negative jibber jabber.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My NSV is hopefully to go 50 miles on sunday.
  • ronercat
    Options
    Karen,

Do we have to come over and slap you with wet noodles (pleas say yes).

One, your still focusing on your numbers and it's not even the end of the week.

Two 11lbs in 23 days is very good! Thats 3.28 weeks, which means you have been loosing 3.35lbs a week. Thats a great amount. Unless your taking this stuff off with a scalpel (and sometimes I wonder if Zac is removing body parts) their nothing wrong with that amount except for what you have fantasized it should be. Especially given all your health issues 3lbs a week is fantastic. By day, that's 0.47lbs, that's easily masked by the amount of water and food your adding or removing from your body throughout the day. So no more of this negative jibber jabber.

This. 100% this. What you have done so far is amazing and if it weren't for a crazy first week of weight loss for me (I swear I was already missing those toes) I would be at a very similar loss.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Karen,

Do we have to come over and slap you with wet noodles (please say yes).

Yes!

Hahahahahaa... Fifty Shades of Patrick!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Diana, I don't know how you swam today... it's like a hurricane out there! I kept trying and then gave up and did some yoga stretching and breathing instead.

Pretty dull day here, life-wise and food-wise. Please, tell me something exciting!
    K .
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My NSV is hopefully to go 50 miles on sunday.

Pat you CAN and WILL do this...unless of course the heavens open up and flood you off the streets, or you have a tornado, or a haboob (don't see that happening in your neck of the woods....here yes, there no!). Go for it!!! Karen.....agree with Pat, let those numbers go (of course I don't...but do as I say....not as I do!! lol...) Nah, I do weigh every day, but I just try to be sure that if I am up a a pound, to be sure to eat well that day!!! Not sure if I can correlate the 'lactic' acid build up to you...but that is what happens when one has a heart attack.....the lactic acid is built up and the pain hits! Not a good thing for the heart...for the other parts of the body a bit different.

Got get ready for work!! Catch you all later!!

Nancy
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Karen, the pool is heated and I went during one of the "lighter" rain stages! lol I was wet anyway...what the heck right?
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in real quick and let everyone know I'm still alive. The tension is still in the air here in St. Louis and it's kinda scary going out but I have done it a few times. Some of the madness from Ferguson has extended to other parts of the county. Thankfully nothing real close to me but I do tend to go to some areas where it has. I probably won't be on for the next few days. Michael is having surgery tomorrow morning for his hernia and a real good friend of ours had surgery today to remove cysts (hopefully non-cancerous) from his liver. Between all that, the traveling from hospitals to home on the Metro and taking care of Cody, I do believe I will be going crazy.

Congrats to all of you on all of your successes. You guys are all doing fantastic. I'm still plugging alone, doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, and yet the scale refuses to move. But I'll keep chugging along. It has to move eventually, right?

I'll check back in with all of you as soon as I can.

Dee (in Crazy Town, Missouri)