Surgery Set 8/21 - High Protein Liquid Diet

Options
Good Afternoon All,

I got my surgery date about a month ago. I am ready! I even got the kids school shopping done and the house cleaned really well (for now) so I don't have to worry about it post surgery. Yesterday I started my 10 day count down and my high-protein liquid diet, which I have to do for 9 days prior to surgery followed by clear liquid diet the day before. This is what my book from the doctor says regarding the high-protein liquid diet:

A high-protein, liquid diet helps get your stomach ready for bariatric surgery. It should replace the solid foods you usually eat for meals & snacks. 10 days before surgery date, you must drink 8 oz. of high-protein beverages 5-6x/day. You also may drink unsweetened & artificially sweetened beverages such as:
• Water, coffee, & tea
• Propel fortified water beverage with vitamins
• Sugar-free Jell-0
• Broth or bouillon
• Crystal Light
• Sugar-free popsicles

It is half way through the second day and I am starving! Does anyone have any suggestions or advise on how to get through the next 9 days? I am trying to think of it like trail hiking: keep your head down, concentrate on one step at a time. I can't seem to feel full even though I am drinking what I need to all day long.

Thank you for your help!

Darc

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    "Keep your head down, concentrate on one step at a time" is the best advice I could give you.

Here are some thoughts:

Be patient, it will get better when you get used to it after a few days.

Don't try to do much physically. The first few days of this diet were really uncomfortable for me. I was exhausted, couldn't focus and just all around felt like crap. Now is not the time to do any literal trail hiking. (Metaphors are okay, though!!)

Distract yourself from the sensation of hunger. Try to immerse yourself in something that will occupy your mind.

Stay super hydrated.

Get ready to lose a boatload of weight. I actually lost more with the presurgery diet than I did the week post surgery!!

Good luck :)
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yep, the first few days are the worst. Here is what helped me - I drank constantly. I mean constantly. Bouillon definitely helps and so do Popsicles. It's strange to be consuming something constantly but that is what I had to do to get me through it.
  • Victoria5639
    Victoria5639 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth. They have Serval flavors. That got me through. Plus I got a kit to make a Christmas stocking that kept my hands busy. Good luck . So excited for you.

Victoria
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It gets a lot better about day 3. By the end of my liquid diet, I had to remind myself to drink the protein drinks, because I wasn't hungry. I had headaches and felt week and really hungry the first couple of days but then things really turned around at day 3 or 4. You'll make it!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Freeze your protein shakes until they are a slushy consistency (you need to shake them every 1/2 hour or so or they freeze solid). I do this at work, it takes about 2 hours to get it to a slushy, spoonable consistency. Makes it last longer as you "eat" your shake and then you also actually feel like you are eating.

Also, the more protein you get, the fuller you feel and the longer you feel full, so getting more protein than prescribed isn't a horrible thing at all and may help.

As others said, the first few days are really the hardest. Hang in there. This is really well worth it all!

Pat
  • dawing
    dawing Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. Today is day 3. I feel crabby and in a bit of a fog. I am not moving at my normal pace. I am looking forward to when this part is over. Thanks again!
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to chew something during that phase so I made a couple of batches of SF Jello to have as my "lunch" & 'supper"
    I also took Crystal Light and made popciles out of it.
    Just keep your focus it does get better.
    Good Luck!
  • LorrainePratt13
    LorrainePratt13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What brand protein shake are you using? My doctor's office told us to look for one that had about 140-160 calories per service and 25+ grams of protein (basically, meal replacement shakes) and low sugar (less than 4g). They said the higher protein would help feel fuller (but who knows if that's true) :)
  • PapaJames
    PapaJames Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been on the clear liquid diet for two weeks. My surgery is August 19, just a few days away. Some days go better than others, but all in all it got "easier" after a few days.

Fortunately, my doc authorized a Lean Cuisine if I need it. After having four hypoglycemic episodes, I decided I need it! I wear an insulin pump and have dropped my basil dosage in half and haven't done a bolus for a couple weeks.

A huge motivator for me is the 25 pounds that have rolled off my ample body! Stick with it... I'm pulling for you!