Son of a b.... Low Carb Breakfast/Energy drink?!

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
BLAH! Okay, so... for the last [almost] year, I've been drinking two things for breakfast: One scoop of Advocare "Spark" and one scoop of Emerald Balance Green Nutritional Drink. It's my perfect breakfast, it gives me not only physical energy, but mental/cognitive clarity as well, plus I get a serving of green nutrients (without actually having to eat the yucky greens lol).

Problem is... I started low carb a couple weeks ago and made the mistake of assuming that "Sugar Free" meant "carb free/low carb" as well. The Advocare spark drink has 11g of carbs, but I couldn't figure out where it came from until I realized it had Maltodextrin in it, which is essentially a carb/sugar or something NOT good if you're doing low carb lol

So... now I'm stuck in a silly dilemma. I'd LIKE to stay under 20-25g of carbs per day, but if I continue drinking this delicious and slightly nutritious concoction, it's a total of 17g carbs... yes... my problem is obvious.

I've considered trying this "Bulletproof Coffee" that I've been hearing about... but it sounds disgusting, for one. And two, it's just fat... it's too much for me to consume in one sitting when I have absolutely no problem consuming fat throughout the day. I just want my energy. REAL energy. I can't just eat a healthy, solid breakfast of an egg & veggie omlette and call it good, I need something (preferably liquid) that will literally course through my veins and deliver that POW! that causes me to spring up out of my chair and prepare to clean my entire house! Yes... that's what I need.

So... any suggestions?

Replies

• marymom
    marymom Posts: 26
    Options
    I could use suggestions too
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I could use suggestions too
    Here's my breakfast today:
    2 (whole, including yolks) egg omelet (cooked in butter) with,
    2 slices Sargento Ultra Thin Provolone Cheese,
    1/2 cup spinach leaves, and,
    3 slices full fat oven baked bacon,
    coffee

502 cals
    2 net carbs
    2% net carbs
    72% fat
    26% protein

Works for me
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had 1/4 of an avocado. slice of bacon, boiled egg, 60g fresh baby spinage leaves, 1 tablespoon coconut oil.

I did not used to eat breakfast and still tend to have it quite late but I am quite enjoying it now. Can't think of anything that would make me jump up and clean my whole home other than a hypomanic episode maybe. Sorry. Maybe have half your usual drink.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Coffee with butter and coconut oil in it may seem gross and like it's too much fat, but it is a great source of real energy. You'll feel great after having it. I know it's weird sounding. The thing is, you may want to give it a shot. You might be very surprised at the amount of long-term energy you get from it.

Will it be the blood-sugar peaking energy your body is looking for from the old drink? Maybe not quite like that.

It's not greasy if you blend it. It is more like a delicious latte. If you want to beef it up, maybe throw a scoop of protein powder in it. Then it's basically a complete meal.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I've considered trying this "Bulletproof Coffee" that I've been hearing about... but it sounds disgusting, for one. And two, it's just fat... it's too much for me to consume in one sitting when I have absolutely no problem consuming fat throughout the day. I just want my energy. REAL energy. I can't just eat a healthy, solid breakfast of an egg & veggie omlette and call it good, I need something (preferably liquid) that will literally course through my veins and deliver that POW! that causes me to spring up out of my chair and prepare to clean my entire house! Yes... that's what I need.

So... any suggestions?

You want caffeine and a dense energy source - which BPC is.

Don't knock it until you have tried it - yes, it needs to be blended (with a magic bullet or other quick blender) but is basically like a milky coffee and you can't taste the coconut. :drinker:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Advocare Spark and I'm hoping once I'm in Ketosis that Spark won't be enough to knock me out. I'm a little worried that even though after having Spark I may be under that allowed amount of daily carbs, the grams of carbs it has in a short amount of time might knock someone out of ketosis. I still like my morning Diet Coke every now and then, and I haven't been a huge fan of coffee lately since I've found Spark. Maybe because its summer? But like someone else said don't knock bulletproof coffee til you tried it! It sounds so weird but its actually good.

Do you have the limited time flavors of Green Apple or the Pomegranate? Those are 4g per serving and only 15 calories. I had one today even though I'm doing a fat fast to see if that'll prevent me from going into/staying in ketosis. I'll be testing tonight and tomorrow morning and I'll let you know.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've considered trying this "Bulletproof Coffee" that I've been hearing about... but it sounds disgusting, for one. And two, it's just fat... it's too much for me to consume in one sitting when I have absolutely no problem consuming fat throughout the day. I just want my energy. REAL energy

You are seriously underestimating the power of coconut oil and butter, neither of which are "just" fat, especially considering that not all fats are created equal.

Coconut oil consists primarily of medium chain triglycerides, and is known to directly convert to ketones in the body. You want energy? The MCTs in coconut oil are jet fuel for the human body. Seriously. They have a "burn priority" that rivals pure sugar (ie - it gets burned ASAP).

Butter provides a slower-burning fat fuel (short chain acids), as well as a number of vitamins and minerals, including highly bioavailable forms of vitamins A and K (as vitamin A and K2, instead of beta carotine and K1, which need to be converted). It also contains minerals such as zinc, manganese, and more, as well as conjugated linoleic acid and butyrate, compounds known for their health benefits.

http://draxe.com/top-8-health-benefits-of-butter/
    https://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I suggest you drink it and see if you are happy with your rate of weight loss. 20 - 25 carbs will speed up your weight loss but many people lose on 35-45 carbs just fine, especially if active.

Edited to add - I'm referring to your preferred 17g carb drink.
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....I really appreciate all the responses.

MelRC117 - I didn't realize they had a lower carb drink! That might solve my problem lol

Dragonwolf - Thank you for the information... considering all the responses I got regarding the Bulletproof Coffee, I might just give it a try now.

I've seen several variations of the Bulletproof Coffee ... where can I find the original recipe? Is it just coffee, butter and coconut oil? I'm quite the pansy when it comes to drinking coffee with no sweetness to it lol So.. does the recipe allow any sweeteners, or is it just something I should chug? lol Pardon my ignorance, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thank you all!!
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    Nevermind, I think I might have found the original recipe on http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/. The website wasn't working for me last time I tried to look at it... but it's working now, I assume that be it. Thanks all!
  • MelRC117
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....I really appreciate all the responses.

MelRC117 - I didn't realize they had a lower carb drink! That might solve my problem lol

Dragonwolf - Thank you for the information... considering all the responses I got regarding the Bulletproof Coffee, I might just give it a try now.

I've seen several variations of the Bulletproof Coffee ... where can I find the original recipe? Is it just coffee, butter and coconut oil? I'm quite the pansy when it comes to drinking coffee with no sweetness to it lol So.. does the recipe allow any sweeteners, or is it just something I should chug? lol Pardon my ignorance, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thank you all!!

I don't know why the two limited time flavors are only 15 calories and the regular flavors are 45 calories. I hope they are trying to figure out a way to make all of them lower calorie, mostly so they can have a lower carb count for me! I've tried both and prefer the pomegranate, but green apple is good too if you like tart.

I would think you could add some artificial sweetener to it but just drink it like you would regular coffee. You don't have to chug it or anything. Yes, just coffee, butter, and coconut oil!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go that low carb, get used to eating fat. Going low carb and low fat is a disaster waiting to happen with your energy levels.

I say check out the waters. See what carb level you lose weight at. It's very individual. Heck, you may be able maintain ketosis and drink your drink.

So, essentially having your cake and eating it, too.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, I think I might have found the original recipe on http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/. The website wasn't working for me last time I tried to look at it... but it's working now, I assume that be it. Thanks all!

when i used to do bulletproof coffee, i'd start with a flavored coffee (not flavored with shots, as in the beans or grounds you get that are already flavored) in a chocolate base, like swiss chocolate almond. i'd do heavy cream instead of butter and then add a spoonful of coconut oil. the result was like drinking a warm almond joy bar.

the only reason i gave it up is because dunkin' donuts finally came to town, and their iced hazelnut is like mother's milk to me.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have bpc every morning for breakfast with 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp hwc. I get plenty of energy from the fat
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    if you're interested in the bullet proof coffee, the "myotoxin" thing has been debunked. If you're interested in it for other reasons. Then it's still cool.

:huh:

Considering no one here has brought up the mycotoxin thing, and most people don't even use the exact ingredients this (or any, for that matter) recipe calls for, I'm not really sure why you felt the need to bring it up. The entire conversation has been about a low carb breakfast energy drink.
    Maybe even increase your daily carb intake.

Why? She hasn't had any actual issues with the carb setting she has, just the normal "growing pains" of learning a new way of eating and figuring out what does and doesn't work. This comment is even more out of left field than your one about the mycotoxins thing.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    if you're interested in the bullet proof coffee, the "myotoxin" thing has been debunked. If you're interested in it for other reasons. Then it's still cool.

Considering no one here has brought up the mycotoxin thing, and most people don't even use the exact ingredients this (or any, for that matter) recipe calls for, I'm not really sure why you felt the need to bring it up. The entire conversation has been about a low carb breakfast energy drink.

When Pu_239 brings up the myotoxin debunking, it was in direct response to (and even included a quote referencing) the link to the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe. That recipe does include the instructions to find "low-toxin" beans and suggests the purchase of his own brand of coffee. While it may not have been discussed in this thread, it may have been pertinent if Pu_239 was worried about the OP assuming the specific type of coffee was important to this working and ended up spending more than they otherwise would have. They even add the clause "if you're interested in the bullet proof coffee," in advance of their comment. To make sure it was clear that it was the coffee specifically.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    Just an update...I drank Spark (one of the 15 calorie ones) on the first day of doing very low carb and the next morning I was in ketosis. I haven't drank a Spark since because I'm really trying to be very low carb this week. I'm going to experiment next week with a regular 45 cal Spark and eating very low carb and drinking it when I'm already in ketosis. You may just want to try it for yourself and see how it goes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

When Pu_239 brings up the myotoxin debunking, it was in direct response to (and even included a quote referencing) the link to the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe. That recipe does include the instructions to find "low-toxin" beans and suggests the purchase of his own brand of coffee. While it may not have been discussed in this thread, it may have been pertinent if Pu_239 was worried about the OP assuming the specific type of coffee was important to this working and ended up spending more than they otherwise would have. They even add the clause "if you're interested in the bullet proof coffee," in advance of their comment. To make sure it was clear that it was the coffee specifically.

Ah, I see. I didn't separate "the bulletproof coffee" (the coffee beans) and "bulletproof coffee" (the drink as a whole).

The disadvantage of everyone loving a drink where the original recipe is very particular, but very few people actually follow it that closely. :ohwell:
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Right. I've never tried the beans myself. I also don't use MCT oil. I just use coconut oil.

The original recipe is pretty particular. The reality of it is not. Heck, I'll use Maxwell House Lite (half-caf) sometimes and still get constant energy. Most of the time, I like using espresso because it comes out stronger. But, whatever you use, the energy comes from the fats and caffeine (unless you use decaf). It doesn't take specialty ingredients.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Right. I've never tried the beans myself. I also don't use MCT oil. I just use coconut oil.

The original recipe is pretty particular. The reality of it is not. Heck, I'll use Maxwell House Lite (half-caf) sometimes and still get constant energy. Most of the time, I like using espresso because it comes out stronger. But, whatever you use, the energy comes from the fats and caffeine (unless you use decaf). It doesn't take specialty ingredients.

I think we need a recipe to link to that doesn't imply that you need to use a very particular set of ingredients at this point. :laugh: