Muscle Confusion

Options
My trainer told me about muscle confusion. I have been using the weight machines at the gym for a month. He said that Imwould eventually hitna plateau because my body becomes used to the exercises. What are your views? How do you incorporate muscle confusion inti your workouts?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload not progressive confusion is the key to building strength. If your goal is to build strength, get on a proven strength program (many mentioned in these forums) and if you must hire a trainer, hire one that can help you with getting your form dialed in early. Yes, eventually you stall and have plateaues, but then there is programming to help with those variables to get past those plateaues. Ditch the confusion junk.
  • quicksprt98
    Options
    Muscle confusion is basically just switching up your workouts every 4-6 weeks. It isn't a new technology by any means. However, your gym teacher back in 8th grade had no clue what this was, nor did he know how to train legs. Everyday was chest day for him. If you do a certain workout routine for awhile your body will get used to it and you won't see as much progress. So there is nothing wrong with switching it up, I would also ditch the workout machines for some free-weight exercises. You will find yourself working more of your core muscles to balance the weights, which means you will see better progress.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but apparently my muscles are dumb mother fers. I've done bench, military press, squats, and deadlifts with very sparadic assistance exercises for 4 years. I've hit plateaus (where I couldn't increase all my lifts the next week) of maybe a month. Other than that, those 4 exercises have gotten me bigger and stronger for 4 years.

I think muscle confusion is an advertising slogan. Yes - if you curl 50 lbs for 6 months in a row. You will not be working out as hard as you were in the beginning. Your body will have "adapted" to the exercise. But if you curl 50 lbs for 2 months and then make it 55 and then 60 and then 65, you will be working as hard as you did in the first workout on every workout.

Even workouts that tout muscle confusion aren't really that confusing. There are only so many ways to work your chest, push (as in push ups, bench press, dumbbell presses, etc) and squeeze (flies, wide push-ups, cable flies, etc). P90X is famous for muscle confusion marketing and yet at the base they work your chest with pushing Motions and squeezing motions. Everything else is just to keep you entertained, not your muscles.
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Want to confuse your muscles???

Progressivly add more weight, that will confuse them, and force them to grow bigger

Muscle confusion is BroSience
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Haven't learned about using the free weights yet. I have some biomechanical "issues" that must be resolved before I can start using the free weights. My trainer discovered these issues when we were working out. It's nothing new. I had been advised about these issues in the past by various medical people (orthopedist, chiropractor, podiatrist, pt)
  • kreza98
    kreza98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Time to get a new trainer OP.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer Tony Horton?

Because he is dumb.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Another "system" that adds more confusion to those who may already be confused. It's bunk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NitoMark
    Options
    I hit plateaus like everyone else, and getting older is a factor too. However, I do try to mix up my workouts to overcome this. Going to the gym 3 times a week, my workouts rotate through 6 different routines hitting different muscle groups- then every 4 to 8 weeks I would switch through this cycle: Moderate weight, moderate reps - higher weight less reps - moderate weight less reps lifting for speed (power) - lower weight high reps focus of lifting to failure with small wait times.

In the end, I am not really looking to get more strength, but keep good muscle definition, maintain athletic performance, and ensure overall fitness.
  • mshanepace
    mshanepace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I somewhat answered this in your other post...