Packing Lunch Ideas

Options
carrieann8
carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
I'm a teacher and my Back to School PD starts next week. (Yes, it's true. We really don't have all summer off.) I have some ideas for lunches because I've been helping hubby pack his for the past month, but I could use some fresh ideas since I'll be packing for both of us this year. For me, I need to pack things that won't go bad in 3-4 hours with an ice pack or two and don't require reheating. (My room is far from the break room and I only have 30 minutes.) Hubby has a fridge and microwave at work. SO both ideas are acceptable but I really need both. :)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Even without an icepack food does not spoil in just a few hours. I know some people are germ phobic but I think common sense must prevail. If one's food is prepared, carefully, at home from healthy, whole foods there is little risk. CAFO chicken purchased in a supermarket is a very scary food imo, but if cooked sufficiently should also be safe. With an ice pack just about anything you take will be just fine imo.

Inuit eat many meats "fermented" (aka rotted) to this day and I don't know of anyone who has become sick. I know many who are sick due to a grain and sugar based diet though.

Most things I eat for lunch are leftovers from my weekend cook-ups. They can be reheated or not. There are no rules, do what works for you. I can think of far too many options to list! But I am blessed with being able to go home at lunch but it can still be a rush due to also trying to feed my little girl who has a tendency to be very defiant about anything and everything. :frown:
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You lost me on the no-re-heating part of your query, all I have is salad at that point but I like salads.
  • carrieann8
    Options
    LOL. Salad is on my menu so far. I've also been doing fruit, cut vegetables, cold turkey, cold chicken, olives, Baba Ganoush, tuna salads, chicken salads, sardines. Just looking for more ideas.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I work out of a truck a my lunch can not be reheated as I have no way to do so. I use two Ice packs one on top and one on bottom as sometimes if I forget to crack the window the truck get really hot really fast.

My favorites:
    Meat:
    paleo meat sauce (spaghetti sauce) I like it with an avocado cold
    Chicken thigh
    bacon
    Bacon wrapped chicken tenderloin

Veggies:
    Cooked bustle sprouts, I eat them like pop corn
    Cooked Broccoli
    Raw carrots

Other
    Hard boiled eggs
    Egg salad on celery sticks (I normally dip it)
  • kristenlora
    Options
    Going to post a few lunches that work for us -

Lettuce wraps are one of our favorites. They're easy to change up, and easy to assemble at work - just keep the tomatoes on the side until you're ready to eat. You can also make a wrap out of eggs. Or do a leftover burger w/lettuce wrap.

Tuna/Sardine salad would be another good option - use olive oil with lemon or balsamic in place of mayo if you're concerned about keeping it cold. Add red onion, pickles, celery to add some volume & veggies to the mix. We enjoy eating with cucumber slices or radishes.

Shredded broccoli or cabbage with carnitas and salsa tossed together.

Patty of meat of choice, over braised greens, or salad. Also works with roasted veggies on the side.

Leftover kelp noodle stir-fry or w/curry. (Kelp noodles, veggies & meats of choice, and sauce all sauteed/stir-fried up. Good warmed or cold)

Roasted chicken or meatballs, with roasted veggies on the side.

Bring a whole avocado - cut it up at your desk and toss with veggies, vinaigrette, and left over roasted chicken/meat of choice.

Make kebabs for dinner w/enough for lunch leftovers

One that is easy to prep - line baking sheet with foil, add chopped veggies of choice, drizzle with oil/fat of choice, add spices & ground meat (we like ground chicken italian sausage) - pop in the oven and bake around 375 until veggies are roasted & meat is cooked through.

Random snack sides - hardboiled eggs, individual guac packs (we have found at costco) with sliced veggies, apple and coconut or nutbutter, homemade nut&seed snack mix, coconut chips, plaintain chips, pickles, olives, artichoke hearts, canned/jar'd tuna or salmon.

Hope this helps a bit!
  • carrieann8
    Options
    Thank you! Those are some great ideas. I'm making a list!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd second most of the things already mentioned. Here's a recipe I thought I'd kick in, for radish and jicama tabbouli. It keeps for quite a few days, it's light and refreshing if your school doesn't have air conditioning (most of ours don't), and it's a great way to get a bunch of veggies in. Sometimes I have it with canned, wild sardines or herring or lox. BTW, I'm a teacher too (or, well, I was for 11 years until this upcoming year. Now I'm a PBS coach . . . aaaaand we'll see how that goes :-/ My principal had to ask me to apply twice because I'm not sure I really wanted to leave the classroom).

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/radish-tabbouli/

In order to avoid all the chopping, I just toss each veggie in the food processor and pulse it a few times. I usually increase the number of kalamata olives, too.
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie- Have you tried any of the recipes from PaleOMG? She has alot of great recipes that you can make ahead & pack for lunches, quick snacks, etc. I always make her 5 Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie, then cut it into portions, freeze & have a quick dinner when needed,even tastes good cold.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    LOL. Salad is on my menu so far. I've also been doing fruit, cut vegetables, cold turkey, cold chicken, olives, Baba Ganoush, tuna salads, chicken salads, sardines. Just looking for more ideas.
    Google "salad in a jar" for starters. You can do some amazing luxurious seeming food that way, keeps well with an ice pack or two in an insulated lunch bag.
  • AshLawsonPearson
    AshLawsonPearson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also make tuna salad (which can definitely stink up your classroom!), or egg salad. I use lettuce leafs as a sandwich wrap (you can stuff with anything you'd like... sometimes it's easiest to bring all ingredients and make on the spot. If that's all you're having, you'll probably want more than 1).

Another idea-- invest in a cheapo microwave for your classroom! Then you can eat *anything*!
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    salmon and scrambled egg - i have thta cold.
    Meatballs made with ragout or ratatouille
    omlettes
    salads
    soups can put in a flask then (for winter months)
    scotch eggs

I have literally just started paleo again and cant wait to feel benefits (carb flu at moment as well as cutting out coke which i was having a litre a day)