Emotional Eating

Options
Lyndal816
Lyndal816 Posts: 35 Member
I was at 298 pounds when I finally realize that my weight has nothing to do with the food I eat (what can I say, I am a slow learner). Instead, my weight had to deal with the emotions that were eating at me. I am a substance abuser. It’s strange, but I always thought I was so much above “those” kind of people. In fact, I was rather smug that I didn’t indulge in the kind of things that alter your thinking. The reality of it is that I am, indeed, an addict. My drug of choice, however, is FOOD!

This is a serious substance to be addicted to. I, personally, feel people addicted to food have a much harder time trying to get the monkey off their backs than drug addicts do. When was the last time YOU cut out a coupon in the Sunday paper for heroin? When have you ever talked to a probably super skinny person from the comfort of your car and ordered a six-piece chicken dinner with a large side of crank? When was the last time your mother said “It’s not going to hurt you to try just one little hit.”

While it’s true that I did not wear a lamp shade on my head and dance naked through the streets (now, that’s makes me shudder to even think of the picture that thought conjures up…), I was just as anesthetized as if I were a falling-down drunk. I stuffed chocolate, cookies, cake, and candy down my mouth to keep me from feeling all the “icky” things in my life.

When something hurt my feelings, upset me, or just didn't put a smile on my face, I could medicate myself with a Snickers candy bar and could find immediate comfort in doing so. Of course, the guilt and self-loathing that followed just made it that much easier for me to “medicate” again. After all, I already knew what a loser I was. For some reason I honestly felt I could stop the emotional emergency by stuffing my mouth. If I stopped that pattern, would I even recognize the person underneath that wall? Would I have to go back and relive all the hurts I’d accumulated during my lifetime?

It was time for me to step outside myself and tear down the wall. I had to develop (or find) a plan that would become part of my life. This plan could NOT be something that would be a short-term solution, but one that I could live with for the rest of my life. I had to be committed to the plan (or at the very least, committed to why I wanted to be on the plan). I could not expect an overnight miracle and most importantly I needed to forgive any time I happen to slip up.

Whew, this was a very tall order – not to mention something that was going to take some serious soul-searching. My reasons had to come from within me – they had to be MY reasons and not something I was doing in order to try and please someone else. It was not my intention to become a size zero – no, I did NOT want to simply disappear. I wanted to be a real woman with a real body enjoying a real life. It was my intention to feed my body and to become aware of the hunger (be it physical or emotional) I was feeding at the time.

I know me and how I operate. I could NOT say I was going to lose a whopping 150 pounds (plus). Trying to lose a whole person is nothing short of daunting, to say the least – and besides how would I decide which woman within myself I would chose to lose?.

I've been on every diet known to man (or woman). I understand that in order to lose weight, you must eat less and exercise more. I have not lived as an overweight person for more than 61 years NOT to have learned that much. I'm great at tracking my food and even my exercising. What I need to learn to be great at is tracking my feelings. I have a small circle of new friends within the My Fitness Pal community that I can "let it all hang out" and they are very supportive.

I don't need another diet -- I need a contractor to help me tear down the walls that have kept me so safe throughout these long years of going up and down on the scales. And because I finally realize this, I know that I will be able to overcome (thank you Hanfordrose for those terms). This is my life and I intend to enjoy it REGARDLESS of what the numbers on the scale say about it!

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    What insight! Lyndal you have hit the nail on the head for so many. I think you should "blog" this post. Many people, outside of this group, will recognize themselves and gain inspiration.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lynda, congratulations on your realization that you are addicted to food. Hopefully, MFP will provide suggestions for healthy eating that will satisfy you. You are also aware that it isn't going to happen immediately and I feel that is a important realization, too. So CONGRATULATIONS on your realization and good luck to you.

When I was growing up we always said my mother lived to eat and my dad ate to live. Now my husband tells me he is proud of me for losing the 30 pounds I needed to because it was harder than quitting smoking--as you have discovered--we need to eat!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I understand somewhat of what you are going through. I have a relationship with food that comes first in my life. From the time I get up in the morning I am thinking about how to spend my time in -between meals!

With that being said, I have the experience of losing weight (2 lbs) on a 12 night cruise where you can eat anything you want, without paying cash as it is all included, and eat buffet style so as much as you want of everything you see. I actually took bites of what I was interested in trying and then once I decided what I wanted I went back for a serving size. They say the average weight gain on a cruise that long is 10 lbs. I ate what I wanted, but I also went to the gym a couple times, and walked sightseeing.

Just agreeing with you that there is a lot of emotions involved with weight gain as well as weight loss. Figuring yourself out Lynda is well worth your time. You are doing good!
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lynda, I was very moved by your post. It was brutally honest and insightful. I could feel all of your pain and turmoil, and it made me cry. I could really relate......the only thing is, is that I am an emotional NON eater! When I'm unhappy, stressed, hurt, etc., I don't eat, eat very little, fast.... My theory being I'll get real small and disappear. Also, the emptiness drowns out the hurt and numbs me. Does that make any sense to you? Either way, we achieve our goal of self medicating in equally unhealthy ways. **sigh** I'm working on it, but to be honest, it's such an ingrained habit it's terribly hard to stop.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Lyndal :flowerforyou: Congratulations on realizing and now dealing with your issues! Emotional Eating is such a problem for many of us - do you think it's more a problem for females than males? I read your profile - :heart: your desire for the size ten dress! WTG on your successful match.com story! I met my current husband in a non-romance chatroom LOL.

Fig - ah, I get the emotional non-eater problem too. Forcing myself to eat even though just the thought made me nauseous, then when I was feeling good - eating everything in sight. I'm not willing to feel depressed all the time to lose weight - trying to find a good balance is a challenge.

Ok, now go put on Johnny Nash's version of "I can see clearly now' and let's sing together: :glasses:
    I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
    I can see all obstacles in my way.
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
    It's gonna be a bright (bright)
    bright (bright) sunshiny day.
    It's gonna be a bright (bright)
    bright (bright) sunshiny day.

-marilyn (ker)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Smilesback. Good for you losing on the cruise.

I think a lot of us here can relate to the original post. It is true for a lot of us. Food is legal, readily available, and can be a super comfort from cold, hard realities.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Dear Lyndal,
    Thank you for sharing your heart. I realize it was not easy.

I, too, am an emotional eater, but thanks to the 60's group I am doing better.

Please join us on a daily basis as we do try to support each other regardless of our eating behavior.

Thanks again
    Reba
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet that I have kept of my weight/exercise and etc. for a couple of years. I also add articles, advice and etc that have helped me a long the way.
    I just put your post on there - so that I can refer back to it many times

Thank you, dear one!:flowerforyou:
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Lyndal,

You're story is captivating. Your emotions are a dead ringer for so many of us with weight and emotional issues. You described it all so eloquently. Whether you are an abuser of food or other paraphenelia, the quitting is by no means easy. I have a food issue, however, members of our family have other substance abuse problems. This is not easy to deal with in any circumstances.
    I don't often get to the group chats. I'm so glad I checked in today.

Good Luck and Stick with This Group.
    Happy Trails,
    Claudine
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    Options
    Linda, your post descibes me right down to the last T. I am always fighting my eemotions and to be honest I wish I was one of the people who can't eat when they are upset. Thank the good Lord for people like you and this site who help me through the rough spots. I also think that I will print out your post and place it on my fridge. Thank you for this insightful message.
  • AlicesGrandma
    AlicesGrandma Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lynda, you said it best! I too am an emotional eater and could relate to so much in your post. I too have come to the realization that getting older is hard enough WITHOUT having to deal with weight issues. I also see the wisdom behind the 12 steps when it comes to food addiction. Thank you sincerely for sharing. One day at a time!

:heart:
  • ustillcan
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your deep personal emotions on eating. I think everyone here can totally relate.

My earliest memories of good times are closely tied to food as food was a reward and sweets were the highest reward. We associate food with celebration and food with solace, food with friends and family. If we don't eat and drink exuberantly in some crowds we are considered anti-social. Even those who love us most sometimes seem to intentionally jeapordize our efforts to lose weight and make healthy choices.

When you can approach every single day with a focus on what is best for your health (and long term happiness!) it helps make these choices easier. Filling your day and your thoughts with work, hobbies, social outlets that do NOT revolve around food it critical.

Good luck on your journey and I think you are already well on your own path to health and happiness.