Losing weight while on Lyrica?

Options
Kaelakcr
Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but maybe I could get some fresh answers. :) I also have some special issues that are impacting me.

So I have been on Lyrica for a while. I think I never initially gained weight because I was severely anorexic and was below the therapeutic dose. Somewhat recently, my dose was upped to the 150/2x day dose and I've gained about 15 pounds. It is severely triggering, and I've had no luck losing weight through normal means. I've come back to this site after about a year of trying to lose weight in various healthy ways. I was on a really great three month streak of exercising 3-4x a week while eating healthy (I've always eaten healthy) and still lost not one pound.

I'm back to myfitnesspal on a new account, trying to count my calories to see if I'm unconsciously eating way more than I think I am. It's hard for me to count calories; it was something I haven't done as a recovered anorexic. I obsessively counted in the past. But I am pretty determined to stay healthy, so I think I will be okay.

Anyway, does anyone have tips for losing weight on Lyrica? Has anyone had luck doing so?

Thank you. :)

Replies

• Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've lost about 8 pounds on Lyrica (100mg 3x a day), but now facing a plateau.

I am also a recovered anorexic. I was hospitalized when I was 12 for starving myself (also depression) and have struggled on both ends of the weight spectrum ever since. I gained lots of weight taking meds for Bipolar in my late teens/early 20's, and still have not managed to get down to a "normal" weight (I am 31 now).

I guess my advice is to be patient. It took me a few months to lose 8 lbs.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. I've gained about 20kg since being on Lyrica, over the past two years. Not just because of the medication, but lifestyle too. I stopped exercising for awhile, and my diet changed too. To be honest I'm not trying very hard to lose weight - I've lost 3kg so far, but hoping it will happen if I exercise more and stop binging on chocolate!!
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you both.

TheZestiest--sounds very similar to my story. I was admitted into emergency recovery at an inpatient center. Refeeding was a real b-word. I've been having serious difficulties not slipping into old bad habits.

OriginalKatie--yeah, I've probably been less active because of the fatigue lyrica causes. It's been so hard! It was very frustrating not losing any weight when I WAS being very active though. :/
  • kristinb78
    kristinb78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on Lyrica and have been for a couple of years now. I had weight gain initially (close to 20 pounds). Like any type of weight loss... you need to be focused and determined. I think the Lyrica may have increased my appetite but that's no excuse. Chose your foods wisely. Food is fuel and not contentment. A year ago I cut out all processed foods, no more grains, and increased my vegetable intake as well as water. I have lost the weight and then some. I also have a strict training program and now run races to keep me motivated. You just need to find your motivation... skinny is not healthy. So, don't look at the pounds look at the type of food your consuming, your energy level, and how you feel. That's just my two cents.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I am on Lyrica and have been for a couple of years now. I had weight gain initially (close to 20 pounds). Like any type of weight loss... you need to be focused and determined. I think the Lyrica may have increased my appetite but that's no excuse. Chose your foods wisely. Food is fuel and not contentment. A year ago I cut out all processed foods, no more grains, and increased my vegetable intake as well as water. I have lost the weight and then some. I also have a strict training program and now run races to keep me motivated. You just need to find your motivation... skinny is not healthy. So, don't look at the pounds look at the type of food your consuming, your energy level, and how you feel. That's just my two cents.

I agree although I don't have to be on conventional meds for my FM. Just keep moving as much as possible and keep watching what you are eating. Try to find some way other than food to deal with stress & pain. Hugs all!
  • dianneeverding
    dianneeverding Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had to be taken off of the Lyrica to loose weight. I gained 60lbs on Lyrica and was unable to loose any weight as long as I stayed on the medication. According to my doctor this level of weight gain is unusual. After I stopped taking the medication I had to begin taking another medication to activate my metabolism again as it had "reset" at much too high a weight to be healthy. Went off the Lyrica a year ago and am currently down 51lbs with no other medication changes. My FM is pretty severe, and I can not work now so I traded lifestyle for health but that's FM for you. I have found that Vitamins have been a tremendous assistance with the Fatigue especially while dieting.
  • sterlingwolf
    sterlingwolf Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lyrica for several years (current dose 200mg 3x's daily) and I've found that I have to be vigilant about counting not only the calories but I have to be very aware of how much carbs are sneaking into my diet. The weeks that I have higher carb intake the lower the weight loss.
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have found that Vitamins have been a tremendous assistance with the Fatigue especially while dieting.

Yes - definitely this! Since starting on MFP, I find that the vitamins are definitely helping with the fatigue.

I was on Cymbalta and gained 10 lbs in one month. As a heavier person to begin with, the Dr agreed to take me off due to the weight gain and the more pressure the weight was putting on my already sore body. He would not let me try Lyrica because he said my body would have the same reaction.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    British journal of Sport Medicine has an interesting article on carbs/sugars and fats in a diet affecting our metabolism:

"Exercise enthusiasts cannot work off the ill effects of an unhealthy diet, say the authors of an editorial published online April 22 in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

"Let us bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity," the authors write. "You cannot outrun a bad diet."

Physical activity levels in Western nations have remained flat during the past 3 decades, even as obesity rates have exploded. That observation is just one sign that calories, not lack of exercise, are driving the obesity crisis, argue Aseem Malhotra, MD, honorary consultant cardiologist at Frimley Park Hospital, United Kingdom, and science director for Action on Sugar, United Kingdom, and colleagues.

"However, the obesity epidemic represents only the tip of a much larger iceberg of the adverse health consequences of poor diet," the authors write. They say that the Lancet global burden of disease reports concluded that poor diet contributes to more disease than a combination of inadequate physical activity, alcohol, and smoking. As many as 40% of people with normal body weight will suffer from metabolic abnormalities typically associated with obesity, the authors write, including hypertension, dyslipidemia, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and cardiovascular disease.

Dr Malhotra and colleagues blame food industry marketing for promoting exercise over diet, comparing food industry public relations with discredited tactics used by the tobacco industry in the past. They say Coca Cola "pushes the message that 'all calories count'; they associate their products with sport, suggesting it is ok to consume their drinks as long as you exercise. However science tells us this is misleading and wrong."

The kind of calorie matters too, they emphasize. Calories from sugar promote fat storage and hunger; fat calories induce satiety. For every 150 calories consumed from sugar, there is an 11-fold increase in the prevalence of type 2 diabetes independent of weight or physical activity levels compared with consumption of 150 calories of fat or protein.

"Celebrity endorsements of sugary drinks, and the association of junk food and sport, must end," the authors write. "This manipulative marketing sabotages effective government interventions such as the introduction of sugary drink taxes or the banning of junk food advertising."

Sara N. Bleich, PhD, associate professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, told Medscape Medical News that although exercise can do a lot of good things, including help people maintain a healthy weight, it is no substitute for eating right. Dr Bleich was not associated with the editorial.

"The take home message is, it's what you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that really matters when it comes to weight loss," she said. Dr Bleich studies interventions to help people change eating behaviors.

"It may take you seconds to consume hundreds of calories that could take you hours to burn up," Dr Bleich said.

The authors and Dr Bleich have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Br J Sports Med. Published online April 22, 2015. Extract "

Full Quote of the article. Link to British Journal of Sports Medicine including section on the importance of a ketogenic diet for sports performance.
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/20...15-094911.full

I find that it is easier for me to keep Body Fat percentage down with a low carb, higher (healthy) fat & protein diet. Less weight is easier on our joints, and less sugars in our bloodstream mean lower inflammation levels as well. I am treating my FM with supplements & diet only and it is working very well for me.