Strength Training as a Diabetic

Options
DenDweller
DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
I've firmed up a strength training regimen as part of my weekly exercise. The reason I started was just because I couldn't imagine a complete exercise program without doing some strength training. It was just a feeling I had based on what I've done in earlier portions of my life. In what I've read about current general fitness theory too, it seems that an approach including both cardiovascular and strength training is preferred. Though, there is a lot of debate.

But, has anyone read anything about strength training as it relates to diabetes? Are there do's and don'ts? Are there benefits specific for diabetics? Has there been any studies? Do you try to incorporate some sort of strength training? (body weight, lifting, bands/tubing, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Edit: Spelling, I think.

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program on June 23. We love it! Well, I love it, she just might like it. We are still doing cardio 3-6 days a week even if it's only 20 minutes. I think cardio and weight training is preferred. I've tried to look online for information about weight training and having diabetes but haven't really found anything. I haven't seen any studies either. I personally think it benefits diabetics and non-diabetics. I hope there aren't any don'ts! I do bring my meter to the gym with me all the time and I keep glucose tablets in there just in case. I watch how I'm feeling too. I'm going to continue to do it. I haven't really talked to my doctor about it.

Tonight is squats, bench and rows!

StrongLifts 5×5 consists of two full body-workouts: Workout A: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift
    The first time you do StrongLifts 5×5 you start with workout A. Two days later you do workout B. So first week is A/B/A, second week B/A/B, third week A/B/A, and so on.

Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. Since management is subjective & depending upon medications, BG control, diet etc people have very individual responses to exercise.

I expect the answer is complicated & individualized. I also do a strength training program similar to 5x5, compound lifts with a few accessory exercises.

I test a lot & find that lifting blunts my BG's & they trend downward nicely. Had an injury that had me sidelined for a couple of months, & I saw my averages climb =S

Once I started training again, they started to gradually decline again. I'm on Met XR & I'm transitioning to a lower carb diet (<50 g/day) from keto (<20g carb per day).

One thing's for sure, it can't hurt!...I expect the only thing people need to be careful about, is if they have a tendency to have lows as I hear they suck wind.

Even though I've never had them, I keep smarties in my gym bag :wink:

I'm kinda hoping for an excuse to eat them....don't judge me :laugh:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    has anyone read anything about strength training as it relates to diabetes?
    Here's an article about strength training and diabetes

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/18/2/71.full
    Do you try to incorporate some sort of strength training? (body weight, lifting, bands/tubing, etc.)
    I do a combination resistance training (suspension trainer and dumb-bells) and light cardio.

Strength training is my preference. Others prefer cardio or HIIT. I think the most important thing is to get up and move. Ride a bike, swim, whatever floats your boat.
  • amberj32
    Options
    has anyone read anything about strength training as it relates to diabetes?
    Here's an article about strength training and diabetes

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/18/2/71.full

Thanks for the link! It lead me to a bunch of other studies too!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. I have been doing cardio training since the beginning of March and started strength training with resistance machines a month ago. Before I started the machines, i was in a nice routine with my blood glucose. My morning fasting was my highest (around 115-120) and my before lunch was typically in the 80's. On the days I did the cardio, my before dinner would be around 110-115 and the other days it would be around 100 (the class was from 4-5 PM). Since I started the machines, my BG numbers have gone all wonky. I do the strength on the opposite days as the cardio so I do something six days a week with Sunday being a day of rest. I am not worried because my PP highs are actually pretty low so I think it is just my body getting used to the extra muscle use but would love any insight others may have.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    There are several research studies that looked at any potential differences in aerobic exercise vs strength training, and different levels of intensity of exercise, in people with Type 2 diabetes. Most found that any type of exercise helps improve blood sugar management with no significant differences between different types of exercise. The current exercise guidelines recommend a combination of aerobic exercise and strength training for the best overall health benefits. Of course, it's important to get your doctor's OK before starting an exercise program or making significant changes to your exercise program. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • DenDweller
    Options
    There are several research studies that looked at any potential differences in aerobic exercise vs strength training, and different levels of intensity of exercise, in people with Type 2 diabetes. Most found that any type of exercise helps improve blood sugar management with no significant differences between different types of exercise. The current exercise guidelines recommend a combination of aerobic exercise and strength training for the best overall health benefits. Of course, it's important to get your doctor's OK before starting an exercise program or making significant changes to your exercise program. ~Lynn /Glucerna

Lynn, could you dig up the references for those studies? The results you mention seem to slightly contradict the article BigGuy linked. His indicated a possible synergistic effect for people who choose to do both that also extends to general health while aging and weight loss.

I would love to learn more about the studies you mention. I'm interested in determining the general progress of the research into this matter. It seems pretty young.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Here's a broad look at that benefits of exercise for diabetics. It's not a comparison of training methods (resistance versus aerobic).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3704296/

Here's a small study on resistance training that I found interesting. The study is designed for older individuals (60+).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15616225

It says resistance training doesn't work for glycemic control. Yikes!

Well, it doesn't work if you don't actually exercise. They took a bunch of sedentary people and had them do resistance training with a personal trainer. Their A1C scores improved. They asked the participants to continue their training on their own at home. The participants failed to maintain the lower A1C numbers, mainly because they stopped exercising. I guess without a PT yelling at them they didn't put in the effort.

My take away from the small study is that consistency is the key. No matter what form of exercise you choose, it's important that the routine is sustainable. Find a routine that you can stick with in the long run.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My exercise program includes both cario and strength training. When I was still taking medication I was prone to hypoglycemic episodes mostly on the days I did strength training. This might have been due to the strength training or the fact that my exercise session was longer, about 45 minutes of weights and 45 minutes of cardio.

I don't have any formal studies but my diabetes management team recommended I add weights to my routine. For the first four months of my weight loss journey I was cardio only.

I think the real benefit for the strength training is retaining muscle mass as you lose weight. More muscle mass means a better metabolism. I stopped all medications about a month ago. I don't test a lot any more but I will test occasionally after a carb heavy meal, and my BG remains in the normal range. This is a very different response to what it was even on medications.
  • amberj32
    Options

I would just eat the smarties(no excuses needed) that's why I can't keep candy in my bag. :)
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    DenDweller, I looked at PubMed for the most recent published studies about diabetes and exercise. The abstracts are available online, but not always the full article. If you have access to a medical library you can request the full articles. Examples:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25082918 small study of 21 PWD Type 2 doing either moderate or high intensity exercise that included strength training

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24996616 a metanalysis of 14 studies involving over 900 PWD Type 2. Combining resistance/strength training with aerobic exercise gave the best results in terms of decreased A1c and blood lipids.

There's a full article available here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4000229/ that goes into detail about the health effects of exercise for PWD Type 2.

I hope this is helpful! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • DenDweller
    Options
    Quite a bit to read. Excellent.

Thanks for the information, BigGuy and Lynn and the thoughts, everyone. :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I would just eat the smarties(no excuses needed) that's why I can't keep candy in my bag. :)

:laugh: :blushing: