Increasing Speed on 2nd Half

Options
k_perlinger
k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
I'm currently in "training" for my 2nd & 3rd half marathons. The first is on September 21st and the second is October 19th. I finished my first one right at 1:59 on May 4th of this year. I had a bought with illness during that training period and when I finally came back I just ran whatever was comfortable. My half marathon was really a crap shoot, my only goal was to finish under 2 hours and create a bench mark for myself.

This time around I told myself I would follow the Nike Coach religiously. That hasn't happened. I'm 7 weeks in and averaging just over 30 miles per week. It's kind of late in the game to be asking this question. But for the experienced runners what are the changes you made in your routine that helped increase your speed. I'm curious to see what the average training schedule looks like for those more seasoned runners (ie speed work, hills, tempo).

Thanks!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This is my current schedule (marathon training week #1 of a 12 week plan-- I did do 4 weeks of hill training prior to this week)

Monday: Stready State or Progression run-- these are both done at a bit faster pace than an easy run but are not at the pace of a tempo and the progression one starts slower and ends fast. I usually do some plyometrics after

Tuesday: easy 55-65 minutes in the morning, 30-45 min at night, both increase slightly as the plan goes on. I sometimes get lifting in.

Wed: off or lift if I didn't do it tuesday. sometimes i throw in a 3 mile recovery run

Thursday: track workout, speed workout, or just some kind of interval running. this past week was 12 x 1 min on/off. sometimes I lift.

Friday: 55-65 min easy run plus yoga, increases as the plan goes on

saturday: long run

Sunday: full rest

I think getting faster, for me, first came with increased mileage that I sustained over multiple training seasons. THen I would say losing weight/body fat and focusing on nutrition while adding speed workouts has been the other big factors in my gains over the last 5 months.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    The thing that made the biggest difference for me personally was doing a lot of 3-7 milers at a progression "tempo".. So let's say, you want to run a 1:48 half... Roughly 8:15 pace... Here's what I would do

Monday- 5 easy (9:15-10)
    Tuesday- 6 miles progression (9:10, 8:45, 8:30, 8:20, 8:05, 7:55)
    Wednesday- 5 recovery (9:45-10:30)
    Thursday- 7 miles with 4 @ HMP- 10 sec (8:25)
    Friday- 3 recovery (10ish) or rest
    Saturday- long run 10... First 8 easy (9:00-10:00) then fast finish last 2 miles (7:55-8:15)
    Sunday- off

33-36 miles// 2 rest days..

I don't exactly know where your speed is at..

What is your 5k PR? For me, I could run a very fast 5k compared to my 1/2 time.
    I was a sub 20 5ker (6:25 per mile) WAY before I could even run 7:40 pace for a 1/2.. So I needed to work on my endurance and threshold a lot more than my "raw speed". If you currently cannot run a 25 min 5k, I think you might need to focus more on speedwork.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    You nailed it. Basically you'll want to do tempo runs, some fartlek, and hills. I'd do tempo runs of 2x 3-4m @ race pace with 5 minute jog between. That should give you a good idea of the shape you're in.
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much this was incredibly helpful. My mileage is close to your recommendation, but this helps to understand the best way to get the most out of my mileage.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks so much this was incredibly helpful. My mileage is close to your recommendation, but this helps to understand the best way to get the most out of my mileage.

Building speed isn't just about the quantity of miles; the quality of miles is just as important. Also, nailing a tempo run helps you get stronger mentally. Once you see that you can run X:XX/mile for however many miles, then you'll really start to see results. A lot of what holds people back from taking that next step is mental.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you....as we're running the same half! :)