Fitbit One vs. Flex?

Options
I have a fitbit one, but the case broke (again). This is the third time in 18months. I'm kinda tired of spending $14.95 + shipping and handling every 6 months, because if it breaks twice more, it will be like i bought two fitbits. So I'm debating whether to get the flex now and cut my losses, or switch to the jawbone up or misfit shine. What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this issue with the Fitbit One? Has anyone had any of these other options and have an opinion about them?

Thanks!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When my case broke, I emailed FitBit and got a new case for free.

I've heard of the other options, but I've only had the One, so I can't weigh in on the others.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My water aerobics instructor has had the jawbone up and had four of them break since Christmas. She switched to the flex.

I have a flex and love it. I found a seller on Ebay who has the bands for a reasonable price so I bought a couple of them in different colors. Not only can I change them but I have extras in case one breaks apart.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We are a Fitbit family, multiple Ones and we've only had problems with one case (the bottom plastic part fell off, it was still usable, it would just jab occasionally). Did you try contacting customer service before buying one? My son's Flex band broke, and customer service sent us out a new one immediately.

For form and function, I much prefer the One. I like being able to see my stats on the device itself (can't do that with the flex) and I think it's easier to wear different places (on my bra, on my waistband ... even my sock during a bike ride). You can't tell I'm wearing it ... a wristband is just so obvious to me.

People who seem to prefer the Flex are so they are always wearing it (not having to move it from one set of clothes to another ... accidentally leaving it on clothes as they go into the wash) ... I've had my One for over a year now (and an Ultra, which was similar for three years before that) without having that as a problem.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    We are a Fitbit family, multiple Ones and we've only had problems with one case (the bottom plastic part fell off, it was still usable, it would just jab occasionally). Did you try contacting customer service before buying one? My son's Flex band broke, and customer service sent us out a new one immediately.

For form and function, I much prefer the One. I like being able to see my stats on the device itself (can't do that with the flex) and I think it's easier to wear different places (on my bra, on my waistband ... even my sock during a bike ride). You can't tell I'm wearing it ... a wristband is just so obvious to me.

People who seem to prefer the Flex are so they are always wearing it (not having to move it from one set of clothes to another ... accidentally leaving it on clothes as they go into the wash) ... I've had my One for over a year now (and an Ultra, which was similar for three years before that) without having that as a problem.

Good analysis. Another reason some choose the flex over the one is that it is water resistant to 10 meters so people who swim or do water workouts can still wear it.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for straying from the topic. I just wanted to pop in and say that my clip broke on my Zip. The metal prongs stick out and when I tried to clip it on my clothes it snagged them and almost tore them. So I had a bright idea! I fixed it and didn't have to buy another case. I found my daughters keychain and I took off the clip and attached to my Zip. I clip it to my pants if they don't have a pocket. Otherwise it goes in my pocket. I haven't had any issues with accuracy with the clip. Didn't cost me a dime and I've had it this way for at least two years now.

Just wanted to share my idea to see if it would help others with a broken clip.

wDdrNxBs.jpg
  • blairwithredhair
    blairwithredhair Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback and ideas! i appreciate it :)
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit One and I've lost it twice while it was clipped to my pants. Right now I'm using the flex and I like not having to worry about it falling off. I wish they would revamp the force though it was cool being able to see your steps.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the one, and I love that I can clip in to my bra, keep it in a pocket on a belt etc... it just seems more versatile if you don't always want to have the band around your wrist. Also I've heard that the flex counts more steps than the one due to arm movements, and you might have the same problem with needing to replace the band, as apparently with use the holes that clip it together become stretched and it can start falling off, although I think you can get little clips (not made by fitbit) on ebay that hold the strap closed.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I wonder what you are doing for it to break. I've had my One for 2 years now & it's case has never broken at all. My husband & son also have had their Ones for 2 years & not one has broken. I wear mine 24/7 unless I am in the shower & then it's on charge and still no problem.

I guess it depends on how you use it & take care of it.