Food Friday 8/15 - Vitamin B for Meat?

Options
13Strong
13Strong Posts: 502 Member
There are eight B-group vitamins, which are essential for bodily functions such as energy production and making red blood cells. These water-soluble vitamins are easily destroyed when cooking or processing food. The body uses energy-yielding nutrients such as carbohydrates, fat and protein for fuel. The B-group vitamins help the body to use that fuel. Other B-group vitamins play necessary roles such as helping cells to multiply by making new DNA.

Vitamin B1 (thiamin)
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide)
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, or pyridoxamine, or pyridoxine hydrochloride)
Vitamin B7 (biotin)
Vitamin B9 (folic acid)
Vitamin B12 (various cobalamins; commonly cyanocobalamin in vitamin supplements)

The best dietary sources of the B vitamins, especially B12, are animal products (meat, poultry) and yeast extracts (brewers' yeast, Marmite). Other good sources include asparagus, broccoli, spinach, bananas, potatoes, apricots, dates, figs, milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts, brown rice, and wholegrains.

The body has a limited capacity to store most of the B-group vitamins (except B12 and folate, which are stored in the liver).

VitaminB_zps151dd6f5.jpg

Where do you get vitamin Bs from?

And check in! Exercise, Water, Food, and Your Day.

TGIF everyone. :)

Replies

• 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Last night I was exhausted, headache and all. Feeling so much better this morning though! :)

Vitamin Bs... these are ones I personally pay attention to because I need natural energy to keep going for work. Caffeine and sugar fail me, so any vitamins or healthy carbs, fats, and proteins that are good energy supporters, I'm always paying attention to.

Naturally - The foods I eat the most of that have vitamin Bs in them are Eggs, Chicken, Milk, and Bananas. Those green veggies I tend to cook and same with the whole grains. Unnaturally - I take a multivitamin that has a 'super' dose of Vitamin Bs but I know the body can't absorb that much in such a sort time... Plus they are water soluble so who knows how long they stay in my body too.

Today I won't be working 13 hours :love: So I'm about as happy as one can get.
    Food thus far has been Bacon, Egg white, 1 egg, and cheese.
    Lunch will be Chicken, Banana, and grapes
    Dinner TBD

Exercise - whatever I do at work. Might climb some ladders for 'exercise' and to help my hand strength.

Water - NEED to drink more. Goal is 5 water bottles today (85oz). Need, need, need.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • mamamageno
    Options
    I get my vitamin B from broccoli, spinach, bananas, potatoes (i don't eat raw potatoes though so does it still count? I leave the skin on for the fiber though), milk, cheese, yogurt...

Exercise: just got back from the gym since I ended up not going last night. I had a headache and went to sleep early instead. I'm feeling much better today and was able to have a good workout this morning.

Food: I made a breakfast burrito with lots of fresh veggies. Lunch will be a sandwich and I haven't decided on dinner yet.

Water: not a problem for me

Overall: doing great and feeling great! My husband went to the gym with me and I love working out together :love:
  • kashaas
    kashaas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up, so I hope I'm getting the vitamins I need. I love broccoli though, this is probably where the bulk of my B's come from.

Breakfast: Turkey sausage patties, english muffin and pear
    Lunch: Homemade chicken noodle soup and salad with zesty italian and feta cheese
    Snack: String cheese and grapes
    Dinner: unplanned

Water: on bottle #2

Last night I got my run in and it felt amazing! I didn't do yoga as I was feeling burned out and tired. It's been a long week and I'm excited about the weekend. Hopefully the scale continues to tip in my favor. I always seem to gain a little for a few weeks then bam, I'm down a couple lbs. I guess that's how my body works. I'm not gonna complain as I'm almost below 160... 150's here I come!
  • GMStb10
    GMStb10 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm getting the vitamins I need too, my protein and fibre are lower than I would like, when I increase them, my vits should be right. My veggies are always cooked, I'll look into taking a multi-vitamin.

Exercise has been a bit sad this week, still keep positive I have done an hour walk every day
    Homecooked dinner tonight, with lots of veg - so feeling food has been good today
    Water is under again, but not by much so hopefully will have before bed
    Overall glad it's the weekend
    Have a great weekend everyone
  • texasbeu2y
    texasbeu2y Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I guess I get my B vitamins from broccoli, brown rice, chicken, and bananas.

Today is going good.

Exercise: I did 40 minutes of cardio no weights today
    Water: I won't finish my gallon so I drank about 3 liters...I'm having red wine now :) TGIF
    Food: I had chicken vegetable soup with broccoli, carrots, snap peas, water chestnuts, and dinner was shrimp and fries :(

Enjoy your weekend ladies!
  • krnorris28
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!
    I would say I get my B vitamins from chicken, broccoli, and occasionally brown rice.

Food-I am back on track with logging my food every day. I got off track for a few days and noticed I was snacking more than I should be. One thing I know I am doing though is I am spending way too much time focusing on how many calories I am taking in. While I should be paying attention, I should not be as obsessive about it as I am. I don't think I am taking in enough calories to sustain the heavy workouts I do 3 times a week. I am concerned my metabolism is going to slow down and my weight loss will be halted. Maybe I should speak with a nutritionist?

Water-Never a problem. I drink a lot of water!

Exercise-I exercise around 5 times a week.

Today was a blah day. Work is stressing me out and home is stressing me out, so there is really no escape for me this week. My workouts used to be my outlet, but then I started a 90 day weight loss challenge. So now my workouts involve weigh ins-which add to my stress level. They went from motivating me to just putting pressure on me. I need to take a step back and evaluate what is stressing me out in my life and figure out a healthy way to handle everything.

Have a great weekend everyone!