Does anyone here eat Grains?

Options
Ok so From what i read.. you cannot eat any type of Grain in PALEO.... is their any reason we need to?.. does anyone here in PALEO eat any type of grain???

Lets say it provides fiber.. well we get that from veggies right??? so my questioni s,, IF you do eat it.. why? i would love to know..... and if we can replace that with another food... then we can eliminate without issue i gues..

Trying to get a food list together that will be OPTIMAL for my general health..

also i heard WHITE RICE is good for people with THYROID issues.. ( interesting ).. right ????

Replies

• primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You seem to be asking a lot of questions re the paleo diet - there is a very good reading list in the sticky threads at the top of this board. If you wish to eat rice and grains and feel they work for you then go ahead but most of us are here because we are paleo/primal and have chosen to adhere to this lifestyle. Elimination of grain is part of the lifestyle and one of the main reasons we see huge health improvements. Grain Brain is a great read on this topic :-)
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yeah so far i have not found 1 good reason to eat grain again... I am pretty much convinced after reading all these threads..

I will checkout the thread you are talking about..

thank you
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you have a citation for white rice, specifically, being good for the thyroid?
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    Do you have a citation for white rice, specifically, being good for the thyroid?

if you google thyroid, white rice & paleo subject...its on ALL the PALEO sites. but i cant get a straight answer... i cant imagine what GOOD white rice can do to anyone you know.. i imagine its the nutrients in it.. i am trying to figure out WHAT about the white rice is good and try to get it with ANOTHER food you know.......
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    Ok found something
    http://primaltoad.com/white-rice/

Interesting... its about a guy who lose weight after a plateau by adding 150g of white rice to his diet POST workout... he also goes on to compare all sorts of foods to each other...

interesting read..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ok found something
    http://primaltoad.com/white-rice/

Interesting... its about a guy who lose weight after a plateau by adding 150g of white rice to his diet POST workout... he also goes on to compare all sorts of foods to each other...

interesting read..
    read it. Didn't find it very compelling tbh. If I were trying to be paleo and really wanted a grain it wouldn't be white rice. It would be something much more nutritious.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    Yeah here is another one http://paleoleap.com/about-rice/ yet the reason they eat it is because its a clean starch and post workout and because its tolerated... NOT because it has any nutrients. which to me defeats the purpose. at least mine

i want to eat things that serve a specific purpose and dont harm me.. so i am done with the RICE thing..
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There are factions in the Paleo community that feel rice and other "safe" or "resistant" starches have a place in the lifestyle.

The most prominent advocates are Richard Nikoley (Free the Animal) and Paul Jaminet (The Perfect Health Diet). I would suggest that you search their sites and do your due diligence before you make your decision. Both are fairly well respected in the Paleo community. Neither advocates the consumption wheat grains.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Not usually. Too high in carbs. I am not gluten sensitive so I can get away with gluten foods on occasion, just not too often because of the carbs. I have even come to prefer cauliflower rice to the real thing.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am paleo/p[rimal and eat white rice, it does provide a specific nutrient...starch. Yes, you can get starch from potato or green plantain, but rice is easy. I NEED starch specifically and not just carbs because it does help with thyroid function. I don't do as well with the same number of carbs coming from fruit as I do from a starch like rice or potatoes (which I also eat). I generally stick to increasinf starches when I work out, but will usually eat a small serving once a day at dinner. It is what works for me and yes, I still consider myself "paleo".
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I might try it. just because of the Thyroid issue and work out alot ( everyday ) . so I probobly would do better with 1/4 cup rice then if i added fruit.... that makes sense..

much rice do you eat? do you wash it first? I have Jasmine Long Grain Rice.. not sure if that would work...

This forum is really amazing.. I love it more everyday.. I can read all day but nothing beats REAL people in REAL time sharing info.
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    We eat mostly jasmine, basmati and medium grain CalRose. I like to stick to rice grown in the USA to avoid the contamination that rice from overseas may have.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I eat oats as I find they don't seem to be a problem to me. I make my own toasted Muesli with oats and an assortment of nuts, coconut, maple syrup and cinnamon. Not strictly Paleo but I find I need a quick ready made breakfast at times and cereal is so convenient. I also find I don't have an issue with milk either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I eat oats as I find they don't seem to be a problem to me. I make my own toasted Muesli with oats and an assortment of nuts, coconut, maple syrup and cinnamon. Not strictly Paleo but I find I need a quick ready made breakfast at times and cereal is so convenient. I also find I don't have an issue with milk either.
    umm...yum!
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    We eat mostly jasmine, basmati and medium grain CalRose. I like to stick to rice grown in the USA to avoid the contamination that rice from overseas may have.

Yes great. I bought some jasmine .. I am going to have like 1/4 cup every other day.. so far no issues.... you know now that i think about it.. when i was little they use to give us white potato and rice when our stomachs hurt.. it was called the white diet.. and it makes sense now.... when you are not ok..its about the only thing your stomach can tolerate..

do you eat it room temperature or cold
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have grains maybe once a week on Saturdays when we go out for dinner. We do a lot of TexMex, so corn tortillas happen LOL
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    I do soak and dry oats for the kids, or get some instant oatmeal for them. It isn't the helathiest, but it keeps them from gettingbreakfast at school which is FAR worse than having instant oatmeal ;)

When I soak the oaks then I will sometimes make granola with it and use a srpinkle in my yogurt. This is a lot of work though and so it doesn't happen often.
  • Clutha_R
    Clutha_R Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As others have said I have oats on a semi regular basis just for convenience and 'cause I love them. I will have other non paleo food but that tends to be when I can'r get anything else but need to eat or I'm out on a social occasion. I eat Paleo because I think it's healthier on the whole and I love the focus on natural whole foods but I'm not as affected by some of the immune issues as some of the people seem to be so I can 'get away with it'.