Need Support

Options
I am 25 years old. My current weight is 158 pounds and my goal weight is 125 pounds.

I am battling mild depression and anxiety. None of my family or friends know about it and I do my best to appear normal and the only thing that helps me cope is eating.

I have been trying to lose weight for years now and each time I'm successful at some of it, I go through a bad phase and I eat back all the weight I lost.

I have been doing my best to cope with the depression and anxiety and I really want to lose the weight. I want to feel healthy and confident about myself.

Any support would be great! :)

Replies

• Phriezia123
    Phriezia123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Caroline,
    You remind me of me at your age. I weighed the same as you did and was very unhappy with my body. I also wrestled with depression and anxiety. The first thing I want to tell you is: you MUST enjoy yourself where you are. Truly, you don't have ALOT of weight to lose. So, that means that you still can buy stylish clothes in easy to find sizes. Please try to be happy with who you are and THEN commit to a healthy lifestyle.
    Here's why I am telling you this: yes, I was just like you at your age. But I DIDN'T allow myself to feel happy or content with how I looked. As a result, I continued on with emotional eating. Then, I got a desk job...that was the beginning of the end. Years later (I am now 53) I weigh 262 and am only 5'2"...morbidly obese. I look back at pictures of myself and it makes me so sad....I thought I was overweight and unattractive then. I didn't allow myself to just be happy and then work on a healthier lifestyle. I would give anything to be that size again, to wear those clothes again, to be able to fit in a seat on an airplane or roller coaster. I have NO energy and it actually hurts to walk for very long.
    So, I am painting this picture for you because I don't want you to end up like me. Yes, I understand depression (if you haven't already, please see your doctor...they have meds that work wonders and I highly recommend it) but, you have NO idea how much more depressed you could be if you continue on the same path as me.
    This probably is not the answer you were looking for. But, my heart went out to you when I read your post. Please, don't let your weight be the driving force in your life. Get active, have fun and be happy. Beth (Phriezia)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have been down this road too and I don't think Caroline is actually capable of doing what you say. She doesn't know how. I remember a lot of how i felt at her age too.

And i know you mean well phriezia. I do too.

Caroline, phrezia is right when she says to go to the doctor and get help. Dealing with depression and anxiety is a long road. Meds only resolve everything quickly for a few people. I somehow don't think there is going to be a quick fix for you. There wasn't for me either.

After a number of false attempts starting at when i was about 21, i finally went to therapy at age 33. Try not to wait so long. Get medication. Get therapy. Get CBT and learn mindfulness too. You can learn this from a psychologist initially and then use the buddhist centres to support your ongoing personal development.

Working with mental health issues needs long term support. I got it off and on from all over the place. Gradually i have developed my skills but i still use professionals when problems arise. I get less depression now and get over it faster too. But i still live with suicidal thoughts when ever i do sink into depression.

As for diet, i think its really hard to lose weight when you are deep in depression but since you seem to be trying to make a start, that's quite positive. However, i do agree with phrezia in that happiness will not come as a result of being a low weight. You have to deal with those others issues and learn how to manage them as best you can. I even use a councillor to address stress when it appears because i simply can't stop the desire for food when emotional problems increase.

It is physiological. Seratonin drops do increase appetite for bad carbs. So does stress. So the main way to lose the weight is to try to address the emotional issues on a day to day basis. Get a supportive councillor. Find several. I find often just being able to talk through everything helps my stress dissipate. for other things, i need to find solutions. For problematic thinking and perspective, it takes a lot longer to resolve things but there can be windows of light.

So then you also need to find a sustainable way to lose weight. I've lost and regained many times too. For all sorts of different reasons including family problems resulting in depression, injury, change of location, blah blah blah. So lets talk about the methods you've tried and what you are doing now? What will you do this time?

IF you are a binge eater, you might looking into some books around that topic. Oh and also look into Judith Beck's book on CBT and weight loss. I can't remember what its called. I think it would be good. Find a book on mindfulness and eating. for my binging problems i have these strategies:

1. No more sugar - sugar needs to be limited to 6tsp a day and if 1tsp triggers you, then quit. I "quit" but i have rules where i can eat it. Work out rules that you think will work for you and stick with them through thick and thin. So far this year my rules have meant no bigges this year.
    2. Don't rely on exercise for weightloss. Do your exercise for other reasons and when you quit don't quit your diet. Wear a pedometer instead of going to the gym and things like that. However regular walking may help with your mood. Consider joining a club because the social effects of this can be really growth enhancing.
    3. Deal with stress and problems as soon as they appear. That means now for you. You probably need at least a year, maybe even 2 or 3 of ongoing regular sessions. Try to spend at a year with the same therapist. Find someone you like and stay for the duration. At a certain point, it can be good to change therapists. Don't stay with the same person for 5 or 10 years like some people do. That's just sort of lazy and while you may feel supported, you aren't really growing so much any more. At least this is what i think about that. I have found that different therapists have different things to offer and if i had stayed with the same person from day one, i might not have learnt so much. but i spent three years with one guy and made some important breakthroughs.
    4. Read this book: The Don't Go Hungry Diet by Dr Amanda Sainsbury Salis. It has some important concepts to explain that will serve you well over time and some useful practical strategies. Also look for books that deal with a psychological approach to weightloss and try to absorb and practice their lessons. I've just read a nice one by Dr Geoge Blair West but you probably can't get hold of it easily. He's Austrlaian and a psychiatrist who deals with patients with weight problems.
    5. I don't do this but its a thought for you. Try to find another easy activity to do instead of eating or other unhealthy things. Try crocheting or knitting or some other handy type work that can occupy your mind and set your creativity going. Working creatively is good for the mind but most creativity comes with a relaxed mind so the working with it might help you and you'll become more creative as you go along. I"m not naturally creative but i enjoy the creative process.
    6. If you are not working, try to find some volunteer work. Pick a field that is interesting to you and get yourself there. I am currently working in a community centre doing half a day on reception. Its great because i don't have to work hard, the people are nice and (its part of their job description) I feel valued and i have quick access to councillors. I also feel i'm becoming part of a community. Its important to avoid social isolation.
    7. Its also a good idea to let your family know about your problems with depression and anxiety. Why must you keep it a secret from them? They cannot support you if they don't about it.

Anyway i hope something here is going to help you.
  • caroline2788
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I am sorry that you had to go through all that Beth. Something I believe in is that it’s never too late. You’re still young and I am sure that you too can move towards a healthy lifestyle.

I’m sure you understand the emotions that are currently going through me. It’s hard and I do want to be happy and enjoy my life, but like Patttience said I don’t know how. I have a job, its very hard mentally and very stressful. Add to that personal problems, weight problems and it just all adds up to a lot of stress!

There are some days when I am really happy and I feel as if I’m beginning to overcome my depression and anxiety and then a small trigger just sends me back to square one. It’s hard to find a ray of sunshine on cloudy days.

I will try to see if I can find someone to talk to. Where I live, seeing a doctor is very expensive and I really don’t have a lot of money that I can keep aside for these visits. But I will definitely try to find someone.

Regarding my weight loss, I am trying to lower my sugar levels and but at the same time I kind of do not want to prevent myself from eating the things I like completely, but eating them in moderation. If I cut them out completely, I always break down in a few days and binge eat all my favorite food. I will look for that book too.

Here’s hoping for good things, in your lives and mine too! Stay strong :)