Substitution stage 1

Options
I'm sorry if this is a really newbie question.....

I'm ready to get started on stage 1 but can't get to a gym until the school holidays are over (I have a membership but no childcare!), now I have some weights, bar, dumbells, handweights and kettlebells at home, so I can do some of the stage at home, but can't do the Seated Row or the Prone jackknife. Today I substituted these with the dumbell rows that Jillian Michaels does on her level one 30 day shred, and a 1 minute plank. Is this acceptable, or are there better substitutes that can be made with the equipment I have?

Secondly - if I get interupted halfway through my workout - is it OK to pick it up 10 minutes or so later, or does it all need to be done in one go?

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing sounds fine. Do you mean you did bent over rows? I believe that's what the book suggests as an alternate for the seated rows. I think you have to do what you can when you're working out with kids around (says the woman who was interrupted yesterday when her three year-old peed his pants at the gym daycare) and if that means getting back to a workout after taking a break, then it is what it is.
  • princessbessica
    princessbessica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

It's my birthday today, and my lovely husband has just told me I'll be getting a home gym system delivered tomorrow - that should make things easier :-)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that you have to complete the workout all at one time. For the prone jackknife, try substituting mountain climbers. The point of the jackknife is to keep your spine neutral while moving other parts of your body. It works your core in a different way than the plank.
    Welcome!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    First of all kudos to the husband unit for a truly awesome b'day present and HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! I did all of stage 1 at home. We have a home gym, but it's in his woodshop and I had to beg and plead for him to move it so I could get to the squat rack. I had to purchase the exercise ball, but everything else worked out pretty well! And yup do that bent over row instead of the seated rows. They work the same lats and rear delts.
  • princessbessica
    princessbessica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help :-)