Going vegan tomorrow

Options
jadeous
jadeous Posts: 133 Member
Hi just wanted to introduce myself and see if I could get some vegan friends to help me out on my journey. I have always wanted to be vegan and have always talked the talk about how cruel meat is and how the standard American diet is so unhealthy and blah blah blah, but I think it is time for me to stop being a hypocrite and start living by my beliefs. I feel guilty that it has taken me so long but I am definitely ready now. Anyone have any tips for going vegan or any good recipes. Oh and I have done tons of research so I know about the nutrition and do not plan on living off oreos and French fries lol :) I've definitely taken the time to make sure that I do this right nutrition wise. The problem with me is my crazy food cravings.

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the best decision you will ever make. You are doing the right thing without a doubt. The hard thing about veganism is that most food products contain ingredients of indeterminate origin. You will not be able to tell by reading the label. And some ingredients are not even listed on the label. For example, the fat used to cut maple syrup could be butter or lard. Grape juice could be clarified with gelatin. If a product says flour, wheat flour, whole wheat flour, or unbleached flour-- anything except 100% whole wheat flour-- it is enriched with additives not listed on the label. Product manufacturers usually do not know whether their products are vegan. They say their ingredient. suppliers say it is proprietary information. Vitamins, minerals, natural flavors, artificial flavors or colors-- any natural or synthetic additive-- could be of animal origin. But do not rely on the Internet! Unless you are able to get the info directly from the product manufacturer, it cannot be trusted. The Internet is replete with misinformation about products' ingredients origins. Do not ever use the I Can't Believe It's Vegan list. Those products can contain up to 2% of animal ingredients, so they are not vegan. You CAN trust Vegan Essentials and Pangea (www.veganstore.com)-- everything they sell is 100% vegan. Do NOT trust store or restaurant personnel to know whether their products are vegan. You will find there are very few vegan products in existence. Always contact the manufacturer directly. I repeat-- you will not be able to tell by reading the label. Not even if you are a chemist. For example, modified food starch usually contains animal enzymes, but not always. Good luck to you and I hope this info helps you start out!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    congrats! feel free to add me! I've been vegan for 3 years and started the Happy Herbivores group...lots of recipes there...also pretty much anything they can make, i can make vegan. Just google what you're craving, add 'vegan' to it and you're almost always find a good recipe! vegan food is very satisfying and delicious, i never feel deprived! :D:flowerforyou:
  • jadeous
    jadeous Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much both of you :) I sent you both friend requests (hope you don't mind) and I joined the Happy Herbivores group too. Aedreana thanks for the info I didn't know most of that. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out the ingredients on things so its definitely nice to know a couple places I can trust and what to avoid. I have cutting out a lot of processed foods anyway and I am trying to make a lot of things at home, like I made pitas last week and tonight I made applesauce and tortillas. So hopefully the homemade stuff will make it easier, I can know exactly what's in it.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Glad to.help! A lot of the products sold by Pangea and Vegan Essentials are also available in stores so, if you ever see those items in a store, you can be sure they are vegan because Vegan Essentials and Pangea have already certified them as vegan. NEVER trust ANYTHING that PETA says! Amy's brand frozen and canned product lines contain many vegan delicious items-- Amy's always tells you at the top of the ingredients list if that particular item is vegan.Please add me as a friend-- when I tried to accept your friend request, my phone screen jumped and landed on decline instead of accept!! So I sent you a friend request.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! Here are my top tips:
    - the internet is your friend - on here, other forums, FB, Twitter and loads of recipe sites/blogs - check out, among others, FatFreeVegan, JL Goes Vegan and the PPK.
    - invest in a couple of good cook books - anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz or Terry Hope Romero is a good starting point.
    - don't beat yourself up if you get it 'wrong', like aedreana says there are so many pitfalls!

My dairy is open to friends if you want to add me although I've a family visit the next couple of weeks and may not be on much or be particularly healthy :-)
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One of my passions is Amy's Macaroni and Soy Cheese! Yummm!!!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Well done- always remember your reasons for change.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    <3
    Adapt.org is another good site.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Add me as a friend if you like! I became Vegan on the 16th April this year! My diary is open so you can have a look! :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I hope things are going well so far on this first day!