Breastfeeding and trying to loose weight

LaVidaLCgirl
LaVidaLCgirl Posts: 4 Member
Hello! Super excited to find this website and this group!

I have been doing low carb on and off for a while and it does wonders for my blood sugars (I'm diabetic) but nothing so far for weight loss. I'm sure that I just haven't stuck with ketogenic for long enough, or so I'm hoping.

I did low carb all through my pregnancy and had great results and a super healthy baby! His pediatrician has been impressed with his weight gain at every appointment, so I know low-carbing has been good for the quality and quantity of my milk. So I'm definitely not worried that this diet is unhealthy while breastfeeding- I think it's quite the opposite!

I still have about 7 lbs. to loose to get back to pre-pregnancy weight and I'd like to loose another 10 lbs. after that to be closer to my ideal weight. I have no problem eating tons of fat (#bulletproofcoffee) but I always end up with way more calories that I'm supposed to have. Usually less than 20 carbs, but around 2500 calories! I'm wondering if this hurts my weight-loss. I'm just hungry all the time! BTW I'm only 5'2".

Any insight or experience would be great, thanks!

Replies

• He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Well you are breastfeeding so I don't want to tell you to cut back on the calories overall without knowing more about how much you're supposed to consume in order to feed your baby. Congrats btw! I've seen a lot of posts from low carbers that say although it's good to stay low carb and in ketosis, ultimately it's about eating at a calorie deficit. And one of the benefits of eating low carb high fat is that you can fill up on fewer calories due to the increased fat intake. 2500 calories a day does seem very high to me, but then again you're fueling for two and breastfeeding, from what I understand, burns a lot of calories. Good luck with your goals and welcome to mfp!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    You're burning calories to make milk for you baby which is why you're hungry. You don't have a lot more to lose so I wouldn't be too worried about not losing weight right now. Cutting too many calories can have a bad effect on your milk supply. I'd say just stick to what you're doing and then concentrate on cutting back on calories once your child has weaned.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Also, what are your macros? Are you eating enough fat?
  • LaVidaLCgirl
    LaVidaLCgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, thanks for all the replies. Sorry I haven't replied back till now. I have been getting more than enough fat (hence the high calories yet low carbs each day) according to myfitnesspal.com. I have my goals set to 1600 cals and 20 carbs, but I'm more concerned about the carbs.

I probably need to make sure I'm actually hungry when I eat and not just bored, and not snack so much. I'm thinking I might need to cut out even low-carb desserts to break my sugar addiction. And add exercise. I'm just starting to get "back on the wagon" again after a several days over the past couple weeks of being on LC on and off. I really need to make this a 24-7-365 thing, not a one-week-on-3-days-off thing.