Competitive lifting networking?

Options
I am new to all of this, but I have a goal of wanting to lift in at least one meet next year. I live in Northern Wisconsin and have not been able to find any one up in this area that knows anything about anything.

I have a trainer that is helping me with weight loss etc and we are on our way there, he is helping me with lifting, but openly admits he knows nothing of the 'lifting' world.

So my question is this...any one know of any good ways to network in Wisconsin or Minn or MI? I just need to start finding out about meets, would love to go and just watch a few etc.

Any help would be appreciated please.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I used this website: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420 to find a power lifting gym in my area. You can check to see if there is one near you that meets your criteria.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Wausau WI, but admittedly have not been back up there in years (live in TN now). I would contact Brian Franck (715-848-8297) in Wausau to see if knows anyone in your area. He used to sponsor a yearly powerlifting meet in Wausau (not sure if he still does). He also owns a gym in Wausau. Tell him you are looking for someone who can train you in powerlifting.

If you can drive down a few times you could probably learn enough to get by.

Jeff
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Your regional USAPL fed will be your best bet. You want to be lifting in a fed that's affiliated to the IPF, as it's the most legitimate form of powerlifting available. The only major federation with consistent competition standards (none of this multi-ply half squats getting passed to claim world records etc like in the SPF) and also increasing standards of drug testing.

The site for the USAPL is http://www.usapowerlifting.com/. It looks like the site for WI's regional affiliate is http://wiusapl.org/?page_id=226

Not a great load of info on there, but they have a list of gyms and a link to their facebook page. I know for our fed (Yorkshire & North East, under GBPF) the site is mainly for news and records, and any real info can be gotten by going onto the facebook page and asking questions.

Hope this helps!
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Your regional USAPL fed will be your best bet. You want to be lifting in a fed that's affiliated to the IPF, as it's the most legitimate form of powerlifting available. The only major federation with consistent competition standards (none of this multi-ply half squats getting passed to claim world records etc like in the SPF) and also increasing standards of drug testing.

The site for the USAPL is http://www.usapowerlifting.com/. It looks like the site for WI's regional affiliate is http://wiusapl.org/?page_id=226

Not a great load of info on there, but they have a list of gyms and a link to their facebook page. I know for our fed (Yorkshire & North East, under GBPF) the site is mainly for news and records, and any real info can be gotten by going onto the facebook page and asking questions.

Hope this helps!

OR he could just find a federation that has meets in his area. Really, for someone brand new to the sport, I don't think the specific federation matters that much. I personally don't believe any single federation is better than any others and that the meet director and judges at each individual meet matter a lot more.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thus far I have been able to find any meets in my area (oh and I am a girl :)) I have tried to email a place in Wausau that says they are a body building gym off of the link that Chubby posted, no reply to that. I don't care if I have to travel, i know that meets are normally on weekends.....I just can't find anything.

Right now I am happy with the trainer that I have and am unable to travel further than I do for training, I have a lot of weight to lose before I start worrying about looking elsewhere for training....but in two weeks I have lost 9.7 pounds and in 4 weeks I have lost 7+ over all inches....I am definately toning and dropping. I lift with him 3 days a week and do cardio almost every day, I don't log all of my cardio because MFP is kind of bogus on the calorie burn anyway, so why bother. I do log all of my food.

REGARDLESS...that has nothing to do with this thread. LOL I am just trying to get in touch with some one in Wisconsin that can kind of let me know what is going on. I am VERY new....just in case I had not said that before.

Thanks every one for the advice, I will look at the other links posted when I can.:drinker:
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You could try these guys as well:

(715) 574-9089
    email: newfoundpowerpt@aol.com
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Thank you so much... :)
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thus far I have been able to find any meets in my area (oh and I am a girl :)) I have tried to email a place in Wausau that says they are a body building gym off of the link that Chubby posted, no reply to that. I don't care if I have to travel, i know that meets are normally on weekends.....I just can't find anything.

Right now I am happy with the trainer that I have and am unable to travel further than I do for training, I have a lot of weight to lose before I start worrying about looking elsewhere for training....but in two weeks I have lost 9.7 pounds and in 4 weeks I have lost 7+ over all inches....I am definately toning and dropping. I lift with him 3 days a week and do cardio almost every day, I don't log all of my cardio because MFP is kind of bogus on the calorie burn anyway, so why bother. I do log all of my food.

REGARDLESS...that has nothing to do with this thread. LOL I am just trying to get in touch with some one in Wisconsin that can kind of let me know what is going on. I am VERY new....just in case I had not said that before.

Thanks every one for the advice, I will look at the other links posted when I can.:drinker:

eek, I'm really sorry I assumed you were a dude! So sorry about that!

I know a few gals in Milwaukee that drive down to Monster Garage Gym in Gurnee, IL, but that is awfully far for you.

You could try to look at various federations and find the contacts for each state, for example here is the APF state chairman as listed on their website:

Wisconsin
    Jan Vandeweghe
    1412 N. 4th Street
    Sheboyan, WI 53081
    920-946-3916
    janvandeweghe@att.net

I have looked for meets in WI before as I am from WI originally, and there really aren't too many listed on powerlifting watch. You could try contacting Jen Sinkler who is in the Minneapolis area--maybe she has networked with some Wisconsinites? She has always seemed to be willing to help other women get started in strength sports.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    the meet director and judges at each individual meet matter a lot more.

This is definitely true, which is why I suggest a USAPL affiliated meet, as there are very consistent standards set out by the IPF. I also don't think there is any reason a drug free athlete should be competing in an untested fed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

OR he could just find a federation that has meets in his area. Really, for someone brand new to the sport, I don't think the specific federation matters that much. I personally don't believe any single federation is better than any others and that the meet director and judges at each individual meet matter a lot more.

While I agree that for a first meet, the specific federation does not matter and that meet directors and judges are a large variable, I would argue that certain federations are better than others.

In my opinion, the USAPL is the 'go to' for drug-tested meets. That is not to say that others are not good. In fact, for local meets, the APA ones I have competed at were great. Much of this is to do with the organizers, location and volunteers - it is less 'formal' than some others and was actually a great choice as a first meet for me (as it was less intimidating) - but it is far less organized or recognized.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If you are on FB, you could look to join the USAPL FB group (you have a better chance of hearing about meets this way).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/USAPL-Wisconsin/1405291573017605
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just competed in my first meet, and the number one factor in the meet I selected was convenience; it fit my schedule and was close by. For a first meet, I wouldn't worry about tested versus non-tested, IPF affiliation, how "respected" the fed is, grumbling you see about squat depth standards, etc. In my opinion, that is overthinking things. But do what you like. If you have a shot at breaking records, it may be worth more consideration.

Facebook is a better resource than powerliftingwatch. Go and follow all the feds there.

Living in northern Wisconsin, count on driving a fair amount to participate in a meet. Powerlifting is not a popular sport, and you don't live in a populous area. But meets are typically on a Saturday, so the travel may be possible for you.

By the way, I had a fantastic time at my meet, so definitely sign up for one. You're going to love it!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

I currently compete in the SPF and i dont care what anyone thinks about it. its what convenient to me and everyone at the meets are very helpful and out going. well ran and lots of seriously strong people. drug tested or not, i could care less. Even if the IPF does drug test, it really dont matter either since those tests are pretty simple to pass/beat. i train with proper depth for any federation(hip crease below top of knee) and 90% of everyone at my last meet was hitting that mark, and those that didnt got red lights. if other federations would have meets closer to where i live i would compete in them too, but til then, ill take what comes my way and have a great time doing so....
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise....I am actually finding some information....I actually got a resonse from one of the people I emailed from the USAP site. I am going to go and watch a meet there in November and maybe get some networking done.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise....I am actually finding some information....I actually got a resonse from one of the people I emailed from the USAP site. I am going to go and watch a meet there in November and maybe get some networking done.

I think its a great idea to watch a meet before competing. It at least gives you a feel for how things are organized and the atmosphere. I am sure you will want to be lifting when watching - I know I did when I watched my first meet prior to competing in one. Good luck, have fun and happy lifting!