Help! Bad cravings for junk food, esp. sugar!

Options
CourtneyCL
CourtneyCL Posts: 9 Member
I'm trying to start eating clean and the cravings for sugary things are getting really bad. The other problem is my family won't join me in this lifestyle change, so sugary foods or foods with added sugars (bread, meats, etc) are always in the house. It makes it really hard to avoid sugar. How do you deal with the cravings? :frown:

Replies

• radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It took me a long, long time to retrain my taste buds, and I still really love ice cream. I don't know if it will ever go away completely, but eventually it will become less intense. I substitute Greek yogurt for ice cream most times.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just started this clean eating - it's coming slowly - have to admit I still have my 2 small pieces of rye bread for breakfast with 2 boiled eggs; but I've substituted my 'lunch' bread with romaine lettuce to make a 'wrap'.
    Can someone tell me what the REALLY bad foods are? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Is peanut butter bad? I have it with my apple as a snack.
    Ruffles chips are my weakness, and low fat fudgesicle bars!! I really need some help to loose the last 20lbs..
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This happens to me frequently. mostly when I want a dr pepper! I have good days and I have awful days (kind of like today... but today could have been worse!). I know very well the lack of support. I live with my MIL and she's awful. she always has some kind of sweet in the house. I mainly have a weakness to shortbreads... but usually I can resist. But having them there can trigger desire for something else! Somtimes I just ignore them. they do go away eventually!

One piece of advice I got from my weight watchers leader years ago: Hold out on your craving. If you can go a day or two days... then find something suitable or have a small piece of whatever. If after a day or two... it's gone, then you beat it. I try to keep that in mind.

One lovely exception recently, My hubby and I have been making our own sorbet from black berries we've picked from our yard! It's the best thing ever!! And I use agave... I should try another sugar source. Nothing like homemade! :happy: That is worth eating for sweet cravings!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just started this clean eating - it's coming slowly - have to admit I still have my 2 small pieces of rye bread for breakfast with 2 boiled eggs; but I've substituted my 'lunch' bread with romaine lettuce to make a 'wrap'.
    Can someone tell me what the REALLY bad foods are? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Is peanut butter bad? I have it with my apple as a snack.
    Ruffles chips are my weakness, and low fat fudgesicle bars!! I really need some help to loose the last 20lbs..

Everyone has varying definitions of what clean eating is. I think in a general sense clean eating means reducing or eliminating process/pre-packaged food. One tip I read was stick to the outer aisles of the grocery store. So if you want to eat peanut butter and bread go for it. I would say whole grain bread would be considered cleaner than white bread (bleached). Also, I like natural almond butter (similar to peanut butter) vs some of the popular brands that have lots of stuff added. There aren't (in my opinion) bad foods just some foods that are better for you (fresh vegetables, fruits, etc). While I think clean eating as a whole is a fantastic healthy life style don't beat yourself up over an occaisional bag of chips or fudgesicle because then it become another "diet" that is hard to maintain as opposed to a healthy lifestyle. You don't have to be perfect everyday just do well most days. Think of athletes. They don't stop becoming athletes if they don't run every day.