Keto and Teaching is a Challenge

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
I am a teacher. I have a student who is a brother to a former student of mine. I actually had his brother for three years. Needless to say, his mom knows me pretty well. She is also an amazing baker. Today, that student brought me in a couple large, delicious looking cookies. I'm not a huge cookie eater. But, god help me if she sends in some pie. It will be a hard battle resisting that. I used to be a huge sweet eater. The mom clearly remembers that.

I have a "no food in my room" policy. So, I was able to put the cookies on my desk and told the student that I would have to eat them later. I didn't eat them at lunch, obviously, and he kept asking me when I am going to eat them. After school ended, my son ate them. According to him, they were amazing. I don't doubt it. I did email the mom and thank her for the cookies. I'll have to lay some hints, when I ramble during class, about trying to eat less sweets.

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can share the sweets in the teacher lounge instead of taking them home? You are in a tough spot!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know your issue! Thank them and either bring it home, move it to the lounge, or give it away... There are several homeless folks on my walk home who would love the calories. cheers
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I know your issue! Thank them and either bring it home, move it to the lounge, or give it away... There are several homeless folks on my walk home who would love the calories. cheers

Awww you sir have a special place wherever you are going. (Ok that didn't sound like a compliment, but I meant it to be. - lord my words are horrible this morning)

Our school has implemented a Blue Zones initiative.... sweets are not allowed thru the front doors, snacks for the elementary students who have snack time must be from an "approved" list, such as fruit, string cheese, 100 cal pack snacks, ....I can't think of the rest right now, but also on birthdays, no more cupcakes or "treats" once a month you can bring in items from the "approved" list for a birthday treat.

A gal here at work who just enrolled her boys, took cupcakes into the school for his birthday, she hadn't gotten the letter (she didn't attend open house) and they told her to leave the school, and she wasn't allowed to see her kid until the cupcakes were gone. OY. A little extreme, they could have allowed her to leave them on the table while she visited him emptyhanded, but not my circus not my monkeys.

I've told my kids no snacks at school, I don't want to get a letter from the school. And we eat school lunches, I go and eat with them on special occasions but i don't bring them any food. It's like nazi land in there.

Not sure what our school would do if your student brought something in personally but I know if it was found it'd be pitched.

I think you did a good thing tho.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Awww you sir have a special place wherever you are going. (Ok that didn't sound like a compliment, but I meant it to be. - lord my words are horrible this morning)

Our school has implemented a Blue Zones initiative.... sweets are not allowed thru the front doors, snacks for the elementary students who have snack time must be from an "approved" list, such as fruit, string cheese, 100 cal pack snacks, ....I can't think of the rest right now, but also on birthdays, no more cupcakes or "treats" once a month you can bring in items from the "approved" list for a birthday treat.

A gal here at work who just enrolled her boys, took cupcakes into the school for his birthday, she hadn't gotten the letter (she didn't attend open house) and they told her to leave the school, and she wasn't allowed to see her kid until the cupcakes were gone. OY. A little extreme, they could have allowed her to leave them on the table while she visited him emptyhanded, but not my circus not my monkeys.

I've told my kids no snacks at school, I don't want to get a letter from the school. And we eat school lunches, I go and eat with them on special occasions but i don't bring them any food. It's like nazi land in there.

Not sure what our school would do if your student brought something in personally but I know if it was found it'd be pitched.

The Blue Zones thing, while flawed both in principle and execution in my opinion, isn't a bad idea overall. Goodness knows it's infinitely better than what's in most schools, both in lunches and non-lunch food items (I kid you not, I saw the Pepsi vending machine filler guy at my local middle school! Middle school!). I don't know what your school meals were like when you were a kid, but mine were godawful, and they keep getting worse, in no small part thanks to the ludicrous USDA standards for a "healthy" meal (and then they wonder why kids are obese and Diabetic).
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

The Blue Zones thing, while flawed both in principle and execution in my opinion, isn't a bad idea overall. Goodness knows it's infinitely better than what's in most schools, both in lunches and non-lunch food items (I kid you not, I saw the Pepsi vending machine filler guy at my local middle school! Middle school!). I don't know what your school meals were like when you were a kid, but mine were godawful, and they keep getting worse, in no small part thanks to the ludicrous USDA standards for a "healthy" meal (and then they wonder why kids are obese and Diabetic).
    FD, et al;

My bride recently retired after 40 years "behind the desk", 1000 little "sponges" (all primary 1-5) instilled with her love of learning, and a 1000 set of parents, many of whom expected her to do not only her job - but their's as well.

I stopped counting, long ago, the number of times parents said to her (often in tears), "I don't know how you do it, I just can't get my kid to... (fill in the blank), but s/he will do anything for you. All we hear at home is, "Mrs V said....""

They're often the same ones that "didn't attend the conference", can't be bothered to open their kids backpack ("s/he won't let me snoop"), or read her weekly blog (let alone the 10's of 1000's of emails she's sent).

Our district (typical, predominantly white, upper middle class (credit card millionaires), suburban with a "...not MY kid..." attitude - actually (finally) did embark on a nutrition focused lunch program (still based mostly on the USDA but better than nothing).

Hired a forward thinking director who implemented a number of "farm fresh" and redesigned menus. Middle School kids grew veggies for use in the cafeteria, and we *finally* were able to get the soda machines out after years of trying) - all steps in the right direction.

The results were (sadly) - underwhelming. HS lunch sales dropped, prices increased to offset the declining volume, and kids now use their "lunch money" at the local 7-11 (which they drive to in their bmw's) for "junk food". Without support at home, there is only so much one can accomplish, despite the best of intentions.

In the primary grades, increasing awareness of the ever-growing food allergies issues so many kids now face has had a major impact on both policy and individual teacher's concerns.

Birthday "treats" (sent in by parents) must now be "pre-approved" by the School Nurse - not for nutrition (or even sweets), but for the protection of kids in that class with specific allergies.

I worked in the same district, part time, for the last 15 years in Transportation as a Driver, Trainer, and Examiner, and under a "no nonsense" Director who brought the department (kicking and screaming) into the 20th century (still trying for 21st). One of the changes made was to prohibit the carriage of "birthday party treats for the class" on our buses.

When parents were "forced" to hand deliver the treats to school (instead of just handing their kid a bag to carry on the bus), AND to have them examined by the Nurse, things began to change - slowly, but in a positive direction.

As a driver, it was common knowledge (based on personal experiences) when (in the "old days") - Teachers would have a day before a holiday "party", or a classroom "birthday" party. The kids arrived at the bus for their ride home on "sugar highs", discipline problems went through the roof and safety suffered.

We actually tracked discipline issues (bus misconduct write ups) over the course of a couple years and the correlation was not only unmistakable but so stark and obvious that it couldn't be ignored.

So, yes, many "plans" are "..flawed both in principal and execution..." AND we're STILL in "baby steps" mode - but at least they are steps in the right direction.

BUT the schools, teachers, and administrators (whose actions I don't often defend) CAN NOT do it ALONE!!

Without parental input and support NOTHING will work (ask any "dedicated" Teacher why the first day back to school after an extended "break" or vacation feels like "starting all over again").
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh I had to laugh and almost cry----I was a teacher for a long time. The first year almost killed me--so many baked goodies!
    My tip----run them into the teacher's room and then don't go back for the rest of the day!
    At the holidays I would wrap everything and take it to the homeless--my best way to do this, approach a group of homeless folks and say, "Can you please help me?" I swear they are always eager to help--and then I pull out the goodies and say, "Can you take care of these for me so I don't eat them all?"
    We all laugh and they are delighted.
    I used to thank the families profusely which only made them send more...
    Good luck!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Wow, that's a little hardcore. I think moderation is just fine, but the other poster's point about determining allergy concerns would be important. I think schools are expected nowadays to be where kids learn EVERYTHING, including things that are meant to start at HOME. But I digress...

I would probably take a little bit of the pie and leave the rest in the teacher's lounge! I give you lots of credit for not even trying the cookies!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

FD, et al;

My bride recently retired after 40 years "behind the desk", 1000 little "sponges" (all primary 1-5) instilled with her love of learning, and a 1000 set of parents, many of whom expected her to do not only her job - but their's as well.

I stopped counting, long ago, the number of times parents said to her (often in tears), "I don't know how you do it, I just can't get my kid to... (fill in the blank), but s/he will do anything for you. All we hear at home is, "Mrs V said....""

They're often the same ones that "didn't attend the conference", can't be bothered to open their kids backpack ("s/he won't let me snoop"), or read her weekly blog (let alone the 10's of 1000's of emails she's sent).

Our district (typical, predominantly white, upper middle class (credit card millionaires), suburban with a "...not MY kid..." attitude - actually (finally) did embark on a nutrition focused lunch program (still based mostly on the USDA but better than nothing).

Hired a forward thinking director who implemented a number of "farm fresh" and redesigned menus. Middle School kids grew veggies for use in the cafeteria, and we *finally* were able to get the soda machines out after years of trying) - all steps in the right direction.

The results were (sadly) - underwhelming. HS lunch sales dropped, prices increased to offset the declining volume, and kids now use their "lunch money" at the local 7-11 (which they drive to in their bmw's) for "junk food". Without support at home, there is only so much one can accomplish, despite the best of intentions.

In the primary grades, increasing awareness of the ever-growing food allergies issues so many kids now face has had a major impact on both policy and individual teacher's concerns.

Birthday "treats" (sent in by parents) must now be "pre-approved" by the School Nurse - not for nutrition (or even sweets), but for the protection of kids in that class with specific allergies.

I worked in the same district, part time, for the last 15 years in Transportation as a Driver, Trainer, and Examiner, and under a "no nonsense" Director who brought the department (kicking and screaming) into the 20th century (still trying for 21st). One of the changes made was to prohibit the carriage of "birthday party treats for the class" on our buses.

When parents were "forced" to hand deliver the treats to school (instead of just handing their kid a bag to carry on the bus), AND to have them examined by the Nurse, things began to change - slowly, but in a positive direction.

As a driver, it was common knowledge (based on personal experiences) when (in the "old days") - Teachers would have a day before a holiday "party", or a classroom "birthday" party. The kids arrived at the bus for their ride home on "sugar highs", discipline problems went through the roof and safety suffered.

We actually tracked discipline issues (bus misconduct write ups) over the course of a couple years and the correlation was not only unmistakable but so stark and obvious that it couldn't be ignored.

So, yes, many "plans" are "..flawed both in principal and execution..." AND we're STILL in "baby steps" mode - but at least they are steps in the right direction.

BUT the schools, teachers, and administrators (whose actions I don't often defend) CAN NOT do it ALONE!!

Without parental input and support NOTHING will work (ask any "dedicated" Teacher why the first day back to school after an extended "break" or vacation feels like "starting all over again").

Since you directly quoted me twice, I can't help but feel you took at least some person offense to the opinion I stated.

Referring to "Blue Zones" is almost always referring to a very specific set of dietary practices, which are very nearly vegetarian and almost the polar opposite of the ideals in places such as this group, where animal products in general, and fats specifically, aren't demonized the way "Blue Zone" supporters do it. That's what I was referring to, as I'm of the opinion that the "Blue Zones" idea is, itself, deeply flawed.

I'm already quite familiar with some of the issues schools face when it comes to food. Heaven forbid my son, who can't drink milk due to being lactose intolerant, just drink water. No, the mandates dictate that he must have some kind of "milk" with the meals they give him (preschool, meals are part of tuition). As a Paleo person, I also fully anticipate running into similar stupidity as my son gets older and have been preparing for that confrontation if the school system decides that the meals I send him aren't "adequate" or whatever.

This isn't the fault of the teachers, but rather of a broken system. In fact, I kind of pity the teachers for being caught between legislation that makes little sense, is obviously ineffective, or almost completely unfunded, and parents who can't seem to be bothered to help raise their own kids. That's why I said it was a good idea in general, and probably the result of having to balance trying to find actual, effective changes to the menu with stupid USDA mandates that are basically actively hostile to good health.

The teachers are doing what they can, and I applaud that, because at least it's better than nothing.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The blue zone thing sounds insane. I am sure the health teacher at my school would kill me if I told the kids how I ate. She knows how my diet is.

My school requires snacks that are handed out in class be store-bought. Or, they can be ordered through the cafeteria. If a kid brings in something that isn't for sharing, or is for a teacher, then it can be home baked. I am the man with the iron resolve. I don't normally have issues with being tempted. I know, from experience, that I feel better when I don't eat sweets or bread. That alone is usually enough to overcome the small temptation.

I am a bad example. I will buy pizza for my class twice a year. I also draw a couple names each week for full sized candy bars. Really though, a candy bar every 2-3 months is probably not the end of the world. At least, that is how I sleep at night.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Since you directly quoted me twice, I can't help but feel you took at least some person offense to the opinion I stated.

Referring to "Blue Zones" is almost always referring to a very specific set of dietary practices, which are very nearly vegetarian and almost the polar opposite of the ideals in places such as this group, where animal products in general, and fats specifically, aren't demonized the way "Blue Zone" supporters do it. That's what I was referring to, as I'm of the opinion that the "Blue Zones" idea is, itself, deeply flawed.

I'm already quite familiar with some of the issues schools face when it comes to food. Heaven forbid my son, who can't drink milk due to being lactose intolerant, just drink water. No, the mandates dictate that he must have some kind of "milk" with the meals they give him (preschool, meals are part of tuition). As a Paleo person, I also fully anticipate running into similar stupidity as my son gets older and have been preparing for that confrontation if the school system decides that the meals I send him aren't "adequate" or whatever.

This isn't the fault of the teachers, but rather of a broken system. In fact, I kind of pity the teachers for being caught between legislation that makes little sense, is obviously ineffective, or almost completely unfunded, and parents who can't seem to be bothered to help raise their own kids. That's why I said it was a good idea in general, and probably the result of having to balance trying to find actual, effective changes to the menu with stupid USDA mandates that are basically actively hostile to good health.

The teachers are doing what they can, and I applaud that, because at least it's better than nothing.
    Dragon;

"I can't help but feel you took at least some person offense to the opinion I stated"

NOPE - exactly the opposite.
    I apologize if you took my words that way but rest assured the intent was to agree - NO "offense" taken, meant, or intended to be implied. The "quotes" were included because the points you made were both relevant and ones with which I agree.

Referring to "Blue Zones" is almost always referring to a very specific set of dietary practices,

To be honest, prior to this thread, I had never heard the term "Blue Zones" - figured it was just some "local" colloquialism specific to the poster's school system.

I kind of pity the teachers for being caught between legislation that makes little sense...

You "pity" THEM - how'd you like to live with one for the last 45 years and listen to the (very valid) complaints and "stories" that, at first, seem preposterous and beyond belief? <bg>

The "...you need a license to have a dog......" saying comes to mind with alarming frequency in our house.

With reference to your Son, at first I was going to offer to trade places with you but on second thought, and having a pretty good idea of what you're going to be facing in the not too distant future regarding the "bureaucracy" and his needs - the "deal" is off.

Not sure how it is in your state but here "private" schools are pretty much exempt from "most" of the state ed "regs" and, I "think" at least some of those of the Feds re nutrition "guidelines" (read, "mandates"), unless they are receiving gov't food subsidies.

If it works that way where you are, and if he'll be entering "public" school next year - I wish I could offer better "news" but I'm afraid that "you ain't seen nothing yet" (when it comes to bureaucratic BS), is more appropriate.

Turning off the "take offense" button (/takeoffense) the second part of your "...kind of pity..." statement - "...(teachers are) caught between legislation that makes little sense, is obviously ineffective, or almost completely unfunded, and parents who can't seem to be bothered to help raise their own kids.", ALMOST says it all.

"Almost" because you missed the incessant "meetings", "committees", "study groups", "latest and greatest" plans dictated from on-high (and usually "canned" a year or two later, truly stupid testing requirements, etc, etc, etc.

Top it all off with a healthy dose of "they only work 6 hours a day", "get vacations every couple weeks", "are overpaid", and "they are guaranteed a job for life with tenure", combined with "I can't understand why they don't feel respected".
    - ALL "talking points" which have been regurgitated by mental midgets for as long as I can remember but have only recently reached the fever pitch so proudly displayed by the RWNJ's.

What pushed me over the edge was when my wife, who truly was/is a "one in a million teacher" (per 99.9% of the parents of "her kiddos", not just me), and one who "lived for" the opportunity to mentor student and beginning teachers, said to me one day, "I just can't, in good conscience, tell these kids that they should go into teaching anymore under the current circumstances"

A system that can break her spirit, dedication, and love of learning is a system in serious trouble.

I truly hope that things are different where you live but I'm glad our Son is beyond the point of having to be exposed to it - I wish it for you but don't envy you for that which you'll likely be facing.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    (snipped)
    I am a bad example. I will buy pizza for my class twice a year. I also draw a couple names each week for full sized candy bars. Really though, a candy bar every 2-3 months is probably not the end of the world. At least, that is how I sleep at night.
    FRob;

Fine....I'll buy the "...draw names for full sized candy bars, pizza," and even the "..not the end of the world" - different Teachers find different motivational tools and if it works, it works.

BUT......

Give them to the kids at 9:30 am, "sugar" them up, and then YOU deal with the sugar highs all day - DON'T pass the stuff out 10 minutes before the bell, "sugar" them up - and THEN put them on MY bus for me to have to deal with!!!! <VBG>

PS - KJK, I told my wife the same thing for years and she didn't pay any attention to me either <G>
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I have a strict "no eating the candy at school" policy. I tell them that they shouldn't eat it on the bus, because they will get in trouble. I can't ensure they don't. But, if they try and open the candy before they leave, it goes right in the trash. There's no second chances. The pizza would be during lunch. I really try and keep the food out of my room. It just causes distractions and problems.

I would feel bad, but the candy bars are typically a huge motivator for my class. I hand out tickets for on task behavior and other stuff all week long. Kids will work very hard for a chance to win the candy. It keeps them from getting too many rewards to care (there's only so many pencils, stickers, etc. before you don't care if you get another--they always want an extra ticket). Some teachers hand out skittles and stuff, as immediate rewards. I don't teach low enough where I need that (usually). And, I hate candy in my room.
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm not a teacher and I'm glad I don't have to deal with those strict guidelines, but when I attended school there were 24 children in my class and when I graduated there were only 125 in the whole high school. There were 3 women cooks probably in there late 50's that got up before dawn to prepare home cooked foods. The bread, hamburger buns, pizza crust, everything was made from scratch. They even canned roast! The food was fantastic and it will always be a fond memory for me of my school days. That was in the 60's and you could probably count on both hands the number of children who were plump - not obese - it was almost unheard of. Of course, we did alot more walking to school (if you were a town kid) and playing outside and the farm kids worked along with their parents. Everybody was just more active and outside more.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Wow, I'm not a teacher and I'm glad I don't have to deal with those strict guidelines, but when I attended school there were 24 children in my class and when I graduated there were only 125 in the whole high school. There were 3 women cooks probably in there late 50's that got up before dawn to prepare home cooked foods. The bread, hamburger buns, pizza crust, everything was made from scratch. They even canned roast! The food was fantastic and it will always be a fond memory for me of my school days. That was in the 60's and you could probably count on both hands the number of children who were plump - not obese - it was almost unheard of. Of course, we did alot more walking to school (if you were a town kid) and playing outside and the farm kids worked along with their parents. Everybody was just more active and outside more.

Yeah, that's not even the food we got in the 90s and first half of the 00s. :sad:

The pizza was so greasy (and not the good fats) that you could tip it on its side and watch it run off into an oil slick on your tray. For a while, milk was sold in plastic bags, and the chicken nuggets bounced.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd be a lot more comfortable with candy and pizza as treats/prizes at school if I believed they were all eating nutritious, home cooked meals at home. sigh. We live in a complex world.

I am a former k-12 teacher, at a small pseudo private school. Not much crap on their plates when I was there, and definitely not much now (the soda machine dispenses water). This was always a positive for the school!
    I now teach university and am hard pressed to CONSISTENTLY find nutritious and delicious food for myself to eat for lunch. They will get good stuff (like organics in the campus store) but they never last long...not enough of a market for them, sadly.

Granted it's even worse when the students aren't in session and it's just the faculty/staff. Most of the "restaurants" close, and the campus store stops stocking fresh food of any kind.
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf, we got milk in a glass milk bottle (with the cool cardboard caps on them!) in the morning and at lunch and we never heard of chicken nuggets back then. You would pay cents not dollars for a meal like that. I think I can remember the lunches for the week cost around $1.35 or so. Those were the days!
  • deansdad101
    Options
    (snipped)
    I would feel bad, but the candy bars are typically a huge motivator for my class. I hand out tickets for on task behavior and other stuff all week long. Kids will work very hard for a chance to win the candy. It keeps them from getting too many rewards to care (there's only so many pencils, stickers, etc. before you don't care if you get another--they always want an extra ticket). Some teachers hand out skittles and stuff, as immediate rewards. I don't teach low enough where I need that (usually). And, I hate candy in my room.
    FRob;

Not sure what grade level you are in but my bride was (until 2/14 retirement) 41 years primary, every grade 1-5 and few "combos".

What worked for her (and you're more than welcome to appropriate if you wish since she doesn't need them anymore<g>) were a couple variations on the pencils and stickers routine).

First was her "prize drawer" (drawer in her desk filled with dollar store "junk"). Took a "special, above and beyond" level of achievement to earn a trip to the drawer (which she dispensed sparingly) and the kids lived for - especially the part about going to the drawer in front of their peers.

Next was the "gold coin jar". (probably similar to your "tickets")
    Focused mostly on "random acts of kindness" when a kid performed one, she would acknowledge it immediately (in front of the whole class), call the kid to come up and add a "gold coin" to the jar.
    When the jar was full, the whole class voted on their "reward" - pajama day, no homework day, backpack recess (depending on age group), whatever choices she gave them. Great "team" builder.

I mentioned to her I was going to share her ideas with you and wasn't sure about grade level and her response was "my first graders had 5th grade "buddies" (who visited her class one day a week to work one on one with their "buddy"), and every year the 5th graders, after learning that the first graders had earned "pajama day", literally begged their teacher for a chance to earn it too."
    "First grade or fifth - they're still kids" - she said.

No question the kids respond to motivators, trick is finding ones that work for your kiddos, keeping them fresh, and raising the bar to where they "earn" one, high enough but not too high. Sounds easy but anyone who has not actually been there usually can't relate to how tough it can be to find the right "balance".

By the end of the year her 'bar" was so high (for most of the kids) that it almost took an act of god to earn either one but when someone did, not only was that kid beaming ear to ear for days but so too was the rest of class celebrating his/her achievement.

She was "old school", "no nonsense", strict, and her kids loved her almost universally. Yes, I'm biased (obviously) but only because I hear it so frequently from her co-workers, administrators, and parents of the 1000 or so "kiddos" she nurtured (many of whom return to visit often).
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I'm 5th this year. I move around a lot. I've done it all from 2nd to 6th.

I have various motivational things that I use. The tickets are mainly for immediate academic incentives (being on task, trying a novel way to approach a problem, constructive and kind criticism to someone's approach, etc.) in the class. These are for the fairly consistent events that happen often enough that getting up for something would be distracting. I demand a lot of participation from my students. And the tickets help.

I have a color system for behavior. Everyone starts on green. You can move up or down. Moving up is a rare and special event. An act above and beyond the expected "good" behavior. These are heavily rewarded, when they happen.

And, I have a few things in the middle. I have a prize drawer. I also keep that available for kids who don't want candy (it happens). We have {school mascot's name} Bucks. These can be spent in a special school store. I give those out. One of the higher rewards, and one that works especially well, is a positive phone call or note home. You'd be shocked how many parents never get a call from the school about how great their kid is. And, when word gets around a classroom that you call home for good (as well as bad) things. Kids are itching to be the next one who gets that positive call home. Even my "thugs," who tell me that no one at home cares if they do well in school, tend to come in grinning if they got a call home.

So yeah, it's not all candy. But, the candy bars work as a good motivator in combination with the tickets.

There are other reasons to have them, too. Other teachers know I have them. Sometimes these teachers are having a bad day. They'll come to my room begging for chocolate. They leave happy and they're in my debt. You'd be surprised how many favors a chocolate bar will buy from a bunch of stressed out teachers.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

FD, et al;

I found it amazingly hard to uncover the meat and bones (so to speak) of the Blue Zone principles on the web. The program seems to be extrapolated from books by author Dan Buettner, who wrote for National Geographic. All very generalized statements - Move more; have purpose; reduce stress; attend religious services (what?!); eat lots of vegetables; ... I guess, to get the specifics, you're supposed to buy the book. But I find it astonishing that this program has been changing public school policies. Especially with the religious component.

In the three pages of recipes I found on the author's website, only one contained salmon. The rest were vegetarian.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I found it amazingly hard to uncover the meat and bones (so to speak) of the Blue Zone principles on the web. The program seems to be extrapolated from books by author Dan Buettner, who wrote for National Geographic. All very generalized statements - Move more; have purpose; reduce stress; attend religious services (what?!); eat lots of vegetables; ... I guess, to get the specifics, you're supposed to buy the book. But I find it astonishing that this program has been changing public school policies. Especially with the religious component.

In the three pages of recipes I found on the author's website, only one contained salmon. The rest were vegetarian.

You can get some more details by looking up the "Blue Zone" cultures, specifically -- Okinawa, Sardinia, Loma Linda, Icaria, and the Nicoya Peninsula -- though it's doubtful that it will be the same as the books you found contain.

The vegetarians have run with the idea, because most of Blue Zone populations are (supposedly) semi-vegetarian. They often use this to support their claim that meat is unhealthy, though the major flaw in this argument is that nearly all of them are actually quite reliant on meat (Okinawa was actually uniquely reliant on meat compared to their Buddhist neighbors) -- usually fish, chicken, and/or pork (though beef and other red meats aren't unheard of in the diets of some of the groups).

Between being no less than once removed from the actual sources (the Blue Zone people themselves), and falling victim to propaganda, the realities of the Blue Zones' diets have been rather skewed, to say the least.