Challenges

Options
692ecs
692ecs Posts: 33 Member
I had a quick question regarding challenges, I have only had my vivofit for 12 and a bit days so have been in 2 challenges. On the 0 step challenge I got around 58k so I thought that is why I moved to the 70k challenge for my second week. I smashed that trying to stay at the top of my week’s leader board and finished with around 123k so I was surprised to be in the same 70k group challenge again with the same people
Even though 3 of us got more than the 70k it was challenging.

Can anyone give me a quick heads up on them, will I stay with the same group of people even though some don’t appear to be syncing or have stopped using it.

Replies

• DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have nooo idea, but i'm in the same boat, would be curious to know the answer.

I've done 2.5 challenges, this weeks and last weeks being 70k. I did 'only' do about 90k last week but there are some people who were in my group who got 120k+, but everyone I was in the same group with last week are in the same again this week...

Plus there are people who don't really update too, which I find a bit redundant for a challenge group..
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been in Step challenges for a couple of months now. I got bumped up each week, except at the 100k Challenge level, which I remained in for two successive weeks. This was followed by one week in the 125k Challenge and two weeks in the 150k Challenge. Then during the 150k Challenge, I injured my right instep with a strained something or other resulting in some swelling. So I relented on the second 150k Challenge half way through. Thankfully, I got busted back to the 85k Step Challenge this past week which has been much more manageable since I also want to fit in higher effort activities like cycling and swimming. I finished out this past week with about 94,000 steps.

The Step Challenges kept me on my toes and moving. But if you get too wrapped up in winning or even placing in the top 3 during the Step Challenges, this really has the potential to make your active lifestyle rather one dimensional. So, I decided to accrue a bunch of connections from my Step Challenges as well as from this MFP group, and use my own leaderboard as a surrogate Step Challenge by referencing my GC friends list. I'm rather happy with this strategy as the 85k Step Challenge participants weren't syncing daily, so my leaderboard became the pacing influence in my daily and weekly steps effort.

I'm leaning toward removing myself from the formal Step Challenges so I can balance out my personal cycling events and hiking adventures while referencing my own leaderboard as the competitive metric. This will ensure variety while establishing a bit of commentary and maintaining communication with my 15 GC friends.

If anyone likes this idea for using your own personal leaderboard as an informal challenge venue and wants connections, I invite you to send me an invite on MFP and GC. My GC nickname is mikeyrs. Good luck on your future Step Challenges!

EDIT: To answer your question, a quarter of my group remained with me while the rest of the group was assigned elsewhere. I guess Garmin likes to mix it up a bit. And there appears to be no causal pattern that I've noticed. Some folks who did not meet the weekly challenge were advanced to the next level with me.
  • 692ecs
    Options
    DamieAnne nothing 'only' about 90k but I agree it is frustrating that we have not advanced as I like the idea but it feels a little redundant that we make the challenge amount and then get the same one again.

Mike, as ever thanks for the info, you are a fountain of knowledge.

I will continue to keep with the challenges and hope to get to a different group next week but I do like to try and balance out what I am doing with swimming/cycling so I know that I am losing out on 'steps' so I'll just have to try and squeeze in extra walks here and there.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    692ecs, it's always a pleasure to share my experiences and insights with anyone who is interested to know. ;-)
  • aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was in the 55k group the last two weeks and placed first. I had around 97,000 steps last night. It moved me up to an 85k group this week. I would like to be in a group where I was in competition with the people I was connected with. I also have noticed that either some people don't sync until the end or just don't sync and have not for some time. I guess that could be tech difficulties or just don't have access. Idk.
  • stephanie763
    stephanie763 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started using the Vivofit. Out of curiosity, how do you guys manage to get 90k+ steps per week? I try and get a 40-60 minute walk most days, but usually end up around the 40-45k steps by the end of it. Now my job has me sitting at my computer ALL DAY, and when I get home, I might be lucky to have had 2,000 steps in one day, but I can't even imagine doubling up the number of steps I do now!
  • 692ecs
    Options
    I gain a lot of my steps on the weekend when I have free time and go for a walk or squeeze in a quick run. I try to get a walk in at lunch time even if it is just a small one and I make sure that as soon as my red line shows up, because I too sit at my desk all day - which sucks, that I get up and walk until it does away which I find is usually about 200 steps. It is all about what works for you, I am finding that I am walking the 2 miles to my local shop to pick up groceries and only buying what I need to force me to go more often and is upping my steps.
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk based job, but I walk to work (about 1.5 miles each way), and I tend to walk a circuit of the hospital on my lunch with a collegue here. I also gain steps from my runs that I do 3x a week. Other than that, if i'm having an inactive day I try to make a conscious effort to go for a walk to hit my step target for the day (on my days off I tend to just sit all day and watch movies or something, so I always have to go out of my way to get the steps up..otherwise I would be on 1000 a day!).
  • Pete1964AK
    Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started using the Vivofit. Out of curiosity, how do you guys manage to get 90k+ steps per week? I try and get a 40-60 minute walk most days, but usually end up around the 40-45k steps by the end of it. Now my job has me sitting at my computer ALL DAY, and when I get home, I might be lucky to have had 2,000 steps in one day, but I can't even imagine doubling up the number of steps I do now!

I don't walk anywhere unless I can help it :laugh:
    But my "job" is looking after all our dogs, and it takes me a minimum of 10K steps every day to do their basic care and husbandry.
    Since I started with the Fitbit initially, and now my vivofit, I do find excuses to go the long way round and get extra steps. Especially when I sync it and see how many steps 692ecs is ahead of me......................
  • 692ecs
    Options
    These 'challenges' are now getting annoying! I am now in the 125k challenge for the third week in a row. I got 130k in the first week and came in 4th so understood that they may not have ‘stepped’ me up but last week I got 177k and came in 1st (way more than I had panned but ended up going on multiple 12 mile walks) and I am still in the 125k!!

I got a whole new group for the second week and I am now with only 1 person from last week who came in 5th but above the 125k mark.

The haphazard way that stepping up and challenges work make me consider removing myself from them but I know my inner competitiveness would take a hit if I do and my steps will drop.