Double counting

Options
AnitaGunn
AnitaGunn Posts: 2 Member
I can't figure out how to put workouts to my vivofit - I add them, choose send to device, but it says it's either not supported or isn't connected - it's definitely connected so I have to assume that feature is not supported.

What I am curious about is... I have my goal steps, great and I understand how those steps and the Garmin Adjustment to MFP works, but.... if I do a workout on the treadmill or the elliptical, do I add that to MFP or is the adjustment from my Vivofit enough?

I have just been removing the calories burned from the MFP side so I don't end up double counting. But I do enter and keep the calories burned for stuff like Yoga, where it's not really step based. Just looking for confirmation that seems logical.

Thanks All!

Replies

• lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about it double counting... I enter my exercise into MFP (using the numbers from my heart rate montior) and keep the Garmin adjustment. As you add in exercise to MFP, the garmin adjustment will decrease accordingly.
  • lethomp
    lethomp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. I assume your heart rate monitor is not tied to your Vivofit. Do you wear your Vivofit during your heart rate monitor workout?

It sounds like any exercise you may be entering into MFP is being pushed down to Garmin Connect when Garmin and MFP sync. Then Garmin Connect is taking that exercise into account in its calculations and reducing it's calculated calorie burn?

This is how I thought it worked: Garmin sends your calorie burn at whatever time of day you sync (up to that point). MFP takes that, extrapolates a total burn for the day based on that figure, compares it to what it thinks you will burn and then makes the adjustment (up or down). If MFP calculates your total burn will be 2500 cal for the day based on your reading at 2 PM from Garmin, and MFP thinks you're going to burn 2400 cal (using its own formula), then it will add 100 calories to your total calorie goal for the day.

Seems to me that any heart rate monitor activity you add to MFP (that is not tied to Vivofit) would just increase that calorie adjustment (higher calorie goal).

For the Garmin adjustment value to go down after entering a separate exercise into MFP means that Garmin needs to know about the exercise, when you did it, and how long you did it for. I didn't think Garmin did all that, and I didn't know MFP sent that kind of info to Garmin. Is that what it does?

That's why I use a heart rate monitor tied to Vivofit so that it has all the data it needs to determine total calorie burn, which includes the exercise burn as a separate activity (calories over and above what it would've calculated without the exercise).

I'm not sure I have this right. If I have it wrong or someone can explain it better, then please do. I kind of like the Garmin, so I'd like to be sure about how it works and how I should interpret things.

Thanks.
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to put workouts to my vivofit - I add them, choose send to device, but it says it's either not supported or isn't connected - it's definitely connected so I have to assume that feature is not supported.

What I am curious about is... I have my goal steps, great and I understand how those steps and the Garmin Adjustment to MFP works, but.... if I do a workout on the treadmill or the elliptical, do I add that to MFP or is the adjustment from my Vivofit enough?

I have just been removing the calories burned from the MFP side so I don't end up double counting. But I do enter and keep the calories burned for stuff like Yoga, where it's not really step based. Just looking for confirmation that seems logical.

Thanks All!
    If you want a more accurate result, use HRM with your Vivofit & allow negative adjustment in MFP.
    By using HRM, you don't have to manually enter a workout in MFP.

One thing though, GC only support walking,running,swimming,cycling & anything that requires some sort of "pedaling/swinging".
    Weightlifting, Martial Arts, Calisthenics, Yoga & something similar are not supported, but your HR will not go away.
    It still record your HR & calories burnt, but the type of exercise will be "Other" or you should edit it yourself in GC.

I do Boxing & it synced as Walking or Aerobic :laugh:
    MFP will be synced the same name with GC.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take back what I said about double counting!

If you have MFP and GC connected DO NOT enter your activity into MFP if you wore your Vivofit for the exercise -- let GC transfer your activity to MFP. If you enter your activity/exercise into MFP those numbers will transfer over to GC and be added to your daily calorie burn - if you wore your Vivofit while during that activity/exercise then the end result is double counting of calories.