Day 32, August 20

KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Hello lovelies!
Quick pass through for me. Weather is brilliant and I have a deck to waterseal.
Eat well, exercise well, drink your water!
I'll check in later and write a rambling note.
K.

Replies

• KarenZen
    So Nancy, about the prednisone thing... my rheumatologist would like me to get down to 10 mg, which is considered marginally safe for long term use (I'm on year eleven now, highest dose 100 mg., lowest dose 10, current dose 30). The plan this summer was to taper down to 20 and sit there for a few months, but about two weeks after I get below 25, Still's rears its ugly head and I'm a mess. Not just physically, but mentally, because I get so worn out from the constant pain, itchy rashes, and fevers, it's like having the flu, strep throat, and eczema, while you're recovering from falling down six flights of stairs and a brain injury. I forget to pay bills, I can't recall words, I sleep a lot, I'm either freezing cold and buried under blankets in 80 degree weather or boiling hot and sweating so much we have to change the sheets in the middle of the night. Theoretically, after a few weeks the flare should back off as my body gets accustomed to the lower dose, but I'm pretty much at my limit for putting up with this ****. So instead, I go back up to 30, sometimes 40 or 50 just to calm down the flare, and that ignites the prednisone hunger beast. I mindlessly start eating anything and everything, just cannot get enough food, only feel full when I almost vomit, and even then I'm full but I'm hungry, if that makes any sense.

I panicked about two weeks ago knowing that I was going to have to weigh in at the bariatric center and just did a quick jump down to 20 mg so I could dump some fluid and stick to a lower calorie plan, and apparently it backfired. You know when you guys all said, well just weigh every day and track it? Well I did, and every day I kept going up a half pound or a full pound. I know what it was--fluid in my legs and abdomen--I could SEE it--but I still panicked.

I will be SO happy when I've finally had this surgery!!! For me, the biggest benefit to it will be that my reduced body mass will make my Still's drugs more effective. Right now, the very expensive biologic that I take, Kineret, is for someone under 300 pounds, and that's at a double daily dose injection already. Same with the methotrexate injection I take. So absolute number one goal in weight loss is to get this fricking nightmare disease under control.

Then we'll talk about sex. Lots of very energetic and highly gymnastic sex. Bwahahahahahaaa! Just seeing who is still reading.

XO
    K.
  • KarenZen
    So what's your story today?
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm reading! Very late getting here, but I got here and reading. I get the prednisone ills. I have been off/on so many times myself. Makes me damn hungry and crazy and all that stuff. But boy oh boy, does it help with the itches and the basically anything where your body will try to attack itself. More poor dog who is usually pretty good stole a whole pound of uncooked (salty dirty disgusting farm animal) off the counter when I turned around for a second to get something out of the dishwasher when he was on it. Poor puppy can't control himself when he is on it either. HUNGRY.

My sort of win or or more like probable concern today is I didn't bring lunch or snacks or anything today. So while I was out running errands I went to a deli and came across egg rolls. Now I know we aren't supposed to talk about specific foods, but I am talking about them now because I looked at the calorie content and they were only 100 calories each. And they weren't small. Good sized. So my concern is, do you think I can really rely on this packaging? I mean even the ones with a bit of chicken in them were only 120 calories each. Either way, I had an awesome lunch of 3. I obviously didn't fry them or anything, that would have been a sin. I just nuked them. I bet they would be yummy baked though.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Hi Karen and everyone else. So I see we're going to be discussing gymnastic sex, huh? LMAO I was paying attention. I'm still chugging along. I actually upped my calories late last week. I don't think I was actually getting enough after all the exercise to keep my body out of starvation mode. I'm not 100% sure it's going to work but heck at this point I'll try anything. I did ask the lady at the plasma center to tell me if I'm up or down when she weighed me. I didn't want numbers just up or down. She says I'm down. I'm thinking about weighing in on Friday but with Michael's surgery that day I'm not sure. Might be next Friday before I weigh. I do know I seem to be in a better frame of mind and even my therapist noticed. It's been nice having my Michael's sister in town these last few days She's also watching what she eats and working out so it was nice having a partner. Not to mention, just another woman to talk to.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Today has just been a standard day. No stories, no egg rolls, no highly gymnastic sex. Just work and a trip to the gym later. School starts back up again on Monday and I am both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. I like to learn and all that jazz, but I am a little worried about how it will change my exercise on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I have a plan that will hopefully the work out (look at that unintentional pun), but sadly Tuesday racquetball will have to wait until the end of the semester before it makes a comeback.
  • KarenZen
    Oh, so nice to have you all checking in! Heather, I'll check the eggroll calories too. Those would make a nice lunch. I think lean cuisine does one too. About the nonspecific food "rule," it's just a suggestion to try to minimize talk about high sugar/high fat foods, since those are triggers for so many of us. Nothing set in stone. No sermon from the mountain.

Dee, hello! So glad you are enjoying your company and you liked your vintage bracelet. I really love the rhinestone stuff from the 1950's and 1960's and thought that piece was special.

Haha Haha, Zac, I'm so sorry you didn't get an eggroll or gymnastic sex today.

Okay.... so here's what an extra 10 mg of prednisone does for me on the positive side.... Monday I tried to go swimming and only sat on the deck and cried for 20 minutes. Today, I swam to the yellow house and back in 80 minutes, my best time/distance of the summer. Woot woot!!!

K.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Sex??? What is sex???? Let alone gymnastic sex!!!! LMAO!! Glad to see you all are keeping well....either on or off prednisone! lol
    I am gearing up for the weekend here....going to give myself a big heart to heart (hummm if I talk to 'myself' I don't have two hearts...so it would be heart to brain talk......nevermind.....) I am going to have a good talkin' to myself....and plan my food/meals and exercise out for next week. I have not weighed myself in several days as I have not been eating well. BUT.....I will turn it around!! I have been trying to get my water in daily...seems to be working.

I have a mini break coming up in two weeks (taking off for four days) and then heading home for the holidays in Dec. Can't beieve we are almost done with August!!! It is almost 0500 am and I am looking out the windows and thank goodness they are clear....NO HUMIDITIY dripping down them...but the morning is still young!!

I will get back to you and see how you are doing later today.....probably when you are waking up!!

Nite all!!

Nancy
  • KarenZen
    Nancy, where are you going on your mini break? I think you told us, but I've forgotten. Somewhere exciting, I hope! My last mini break was in Vermont... a whole four hour drive away... I didn't even get out of New England!

Well now I know the secret to getting everyone to post. SEX TALK! Are you guys ready for some excerpts from my Bigfoot Erotica novel yet? Or maybe we should just stick to human sex for a while. Soooo... what do you most look forward to with continued weight loss in the sex department? I've already said gymnastics, and by that I mean improved flexibility. Need to sign up for some yoga classes too! Lucky for me, I'm damn sexy at any size, LOL, but I will definitely look forward to having all of our parts fit together less awkwardly. My friend Sharon has been obese her entire life but always manages to have a wild sex life, and she once told me, "I don't care if my inner thighs jiggle... if they get in the way, I just duck tape those suckers back!" She is the most body-confident woman I know. And she's so right... sex appeal, I think, especially when you love your partner, is so much more than your weight, your physical perfection or lack thereof, whether things jiggle or not.

Okay... so here's a little snippet from Bigfoot Made Me Scream
    (it's just the opening paragraphs... only one scandalous sentence.)

Alexandra Salacine opened the large brown envelope with shaking hands. Had it worked? Even with her silky dark hair pulled back and her blue eyes hidden behind glasses, no one would mistake her for a man in person, especially in summer weather when her rather bountiful breasts were always straining against whatever tank top she’d thrown on. In fall and winter she was strictly an academic, researching and writing for dry scientific journals, spending most weekends buried beneath piles of student papers on anthropology and paleontology. Summer, however, was hers to do with what she pleased. And this summer, she pleased something very, very special. She desperately wanted to go on a Bigfoot tracking expedition with the most prestigious hunter in North America, Johan Schneidermann.
    “Please, oh please, just let it be yes,” she whispered. She pulled the packet from the envelope, part of her expecting the usual: “Thank you for applying and here’s your consolation prize of flyers of invitations to hear Johan speak at various venues for reasonable fees.” Instead, her acceptance letter rattled in her fingertips. Good god, had she pulled it off? She’d been tipped off this year, and her strategy must have worked. Apparently Schneidermann was a sexist…. no, a misogynist, and he never allowed women to be part of his research teams when he hit the Bigfoot hotspots. Sure, he would take them along on unimportant trips. Let them fetch coffee. Have the pretty ones give him handjobs in his tent and the not so pretty ones give him *kitten* in the bushes at night.
    Alex had run into a former intern of Schneidermann’s at a book signing last spring, and she’d been given some great advice: don’t bother to apply unless you’re willing to get gender reassignment surgery first. And while she hadn’t done that, Alex had carefully doctored all of her application materials to ensure that nowhere was her gender apparent. She’d applied as Dr. Salacine or Alex, not Alexandra. One week from today, she would arrive at the research base camp in the White Mountains, far from civilization, and Schneidermann would be forced to let her participate. It would be too late to find another geneticist to handle any possible DNA samples with the appropriate protocols. She would be in!
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Oh sure, rub my face in your gymnastic sex.

What do I look forward to? I look forward to not being sole source for my own orgasms.... and being able to see everything without straining my neck.

Is that enough sharing.

As to the eggroll conundrum. The FDA lists an 80gram chicken eggroll as 157 cal so the packaging could be right.
  • catladyksa
    Geez what a 'lot' we are!! What do I look forward to when I get these pounds off.......I am in the same boat that Pat is.....not being my own sole source which is not having to rely solely on BOB ( Battery Operated Boyfriend)!!

Karen your Bigfoot book is mesmerizing!! You certainly can write!! And loved the 'duct tape' scenario!!! How funny...and look at all the fantastic colors of duct tape they make now....you could actually change your nightgown every night for weeks and have a new matching duct tape with each new nighty !! LMAO

My four day trip is to Dubai. Can't wait...need the break!! Trouble is the food places there are out of this world!! Such a variety....oh don't get me started!!!

Nancy
  • KarenZen
    Oh, but you can do all kinds of active things to work off the eats... indoor skiing, right? And water parks?
  • catladyksa
    Oh, but you can do all kinds of active things to work off the eats... indoor skiing, right? And water parks?

Some of the Biggest malls in the world...to shop...ok, to walk around too, but shop til I drop!! Could always use a new pr of sports shoes...to look at anyway!! lol