Is low carb good for someone with 100+ lbs to lose?

Options
Hello all! I have been thinking about going low carb for quite some time. I am 4 ft 10, 36, female and weigh 261. My goal weight is between 90 and 100 pounds. So yeah, I have a ton of weight to lose.

I have a friend that is doing low carb (she's not really doing keto but just low carb in general I guess. I'm kind of clueless lol) and she recommended that I eat about 1800 cals a day (I do exercise 6 times a week for 30 minutes... walking and elliptical mostly) and she said for my fat to be 70%, my protein 20% and my carbs 10%.

Is this healthy or ok for someone so heavy? I'm seriously scared of having a heart attack. My mother and grandmother had heart problems (bypasses) although I do not, the last time I was checked out I was ok... it was a few years ago though. :|

I don't fear fat, I'm just worried. I know it sounds stupid, but I figured you all could help me. Thank you so much!

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing off and on for a few years. I lost 90 pounds (and started out weighing more than you did but I am 5'5") and never had issues pop up WHILE doing low carb. I worked out 4 days a week (cardio and strength). (I gained alot back when I became pregnant with my son and have struggled to stick to it again while trying out low calorie).

I've always been over weight and the biggest thing for me was feeling like I was always hungry or deprived when dieting. Low carb worked for me because I felt satisfied AND I was seeing results, which made it easy to not eat that donut.

Here is one thing for you to think about: your weight right now isn't doing yourself that much better than eating low carb with high amount of fat. I'm sorry if that comes off as mean, but I mean it as a way to put it in perspective.

When I stopped being low carb-ish (I guess), I avoided sweets and things like chips because I learned that its difficult to just eat a single serving of chips. I still monitored what I ate and if I was gaining, I went low carb again to get me back on track. I lowered my blood pressure by losing weight. I have never had a cholesterol issue so I never paid attention if it went up or down, and if it did either it would have only been a couple points.

Feel free to friend and/or PM me. You've got this. You STARTED it, now continue with it.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    so far so good for me. Been following DANDR since August 27, 2013 and next Wednesday will will mark one year since starting this WOE (started at 432lbs and currently 241lbs). Love it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Right now, if you have a heart attack, it will be because your weight is causing issues. With the amount of extra weight you're carrying, it's pretty likely that there's a good amount of fat buildup around your heart. This is obviously a bad thing.

Here's the fun pat, though -- dietary fat by itself has no bearing on body fat, and doesn't actually have any connection to heart disease risk.

That's right, fat intake is not a risk factor for heart disease, and about a million or so people have been studied to prove this.

So what does affect risk factors?

Smoking (duh)
    High blood pressure
    High carb diet, especially refined carbs (increases triglycerides, lowers HDL, raises LDL)

How does fat play into this all, especially when used as the primary source instead of carbs?

Raises HDL
    Lowers triglycerides
    Increases LDL particle size without increasing number (this is a good thing, because it's the small particles that are dangerous)
    Lowers blood glucose and insulin
    Improves overall hormone function
    Improves nutrient absorption

In other words, yes, LCHF is healthy for someone very overweight.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^
    What Dragonwolf said.

I would also add you might need to eat more then 1800 calories, especially working out most days. One of the great things about a LC/HF diet is you shouldn't feel hungry all the time on it like a low calorie diet.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that even tho I've screwed up quite a few times (I started LCHF end of July) this by FAR is the most satisfying lifestyle change I've made thus far.

Now granted when I first started figuring this stuff out and rambling about it to my friends they were looking at me like I was nuts because I ate more than 1200 calories, but I'm looking for something for the long haul, it just sucks that in the three weeks it too a friend of mine to drop 20 lbs, I've droped and gained the same 4 lbs. Frustrating yes, because she's choosing to be an *kitten* and rub it in my face, but eh....I set her face on fire in my mind while she's yapping away. Works for me.

Because I've lost so little I should totally blame on the fact that I've cheated a few too many times, but there are days that I wonder if I should be eating less.... hard to believe, but if that were teh case I bet my calories would be closer to 1300 or so. I've had a few 1100 calorie days, I was totally satisfied, completely under my carb goal of 100g hit my other macros, and did I mention??? I was TOTALLY SATISFIED.
    Edit: And to not sound like I'm trying to low cal it here.... within that same week I also had a 2000 cal day with the same affect. It does even it's self out over the week. One day does not make or break you.

I haven't lost alot but coming from someone who was looking at the only other option of pretty much starving myself.....this has been a great find.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been thinking about going low carb for quite some time. I am 4 ft 10, 36, female and weigh 261. My goal weight is between 90 and 100 pounds. So yeah, I have a ton of weight to lose.

I have a friend that is doing low carb (she's not really doing keto but just low carb in general I guess. I'm kind of clueless lol) and she recommended that I eat about 1800 cals a day (I do exercise 6 times a week for 30 minutes... walking and elliptical mostly) and she said for my fat to be 70%, my protein 20% and my carbs 10%.

Is this healthy or ok for someone so heavy? I'm seriously scared of having a heart attack. My mother and grandmother had heart problems (bypasses) although I do not, the last time I was checked out I was ok... it was a few years ago though. :|

I don't fear fat, I'm just worried. I know it sounds stupid, but I figured you all could help me. Thank you so much!

By your calorie ticker, are you trying to get down to 80lbs because Im 4'2 and a child of my height should be about 75lbs.
    We are not kids and me, I am bigger chested, so I carry some of the "extra" weight on top.
    A "healthy" weight at 4'2, I should be about 90lbs...100 being on the higher end of the scale...youre taller than me!
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Right now, if you have a heart attack, it will be because your weight is causing issues. With the amount of extra weight you're carrying, it's pretty likely that there's a good amount of fat buildup around your heart. This is obviously a bad thing.

Here's the fun pat, though -- dietary fat by itself has no bearing on body fat, and doesn't actually have any connection to heart disease risk.

That's right, fat intake is not a risk factor for heart disease, and about a million or so people have been studied to prove this.

So what does affect risk factors?

Smoking (duh)
    High blood pressure
    High carb diet, especially refined carbs (increases triglycerides, lowers HDL, raises LDL)

How does fat play into this all, especially when used as the primary source instead of carbs?

Raises HDL
    Lowers triglycerides
    Increases LDL particle size without increasing number (this is a good thing, because it's the small particles that are dangerous)
    Lowers blood glucose and insulin
    Improves overall hormone function
    Improves nutrient absorption

In other words, yes, LCHF is healthy for someone very overweight.

Ok, that was very helpful! Thank you!
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options

By your calorie ticker, are you trying to get down to 80lbs because Im 4'2 and a child of my height should be about 75lbs.
    We are not kids and me, I am bigger chested, so I carry some of the "extra" weight on top.
    A "healthy" weight at 4'2, I should be about 90lbs...100 being on the higher end of the scale...youre taller than me!

I'm trying to get to 90, but that is the very minimum. I would be happy at 90 to 115. I just put 90 in on a whim. My highest weight was 271 (so that is what my ticker is based off of). I'm a double d, so I know all about being big in the front. lol. I hate it myself. :\

Thank you for the information. :)
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I have lost 110 pounds and am now maintaining and working on building muscle and strength. . However I would not eat that much fat! At your height your fat intake should be around 80-90.. Make sure to keep your protein up too..
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130lb through LC and am trying to lose the last 10-20 with just a calorie deficit and exercise. It hasn't budged the scale at all yet and it's been 7 weeks.!!! I am going to lower my carbs again and see how that'll go with my workouts.

To answer your question. YES! LC is a good way to lose a lot of weight. Higher protein and maybe a bit lower fat would be my suggestion-especially as weight training while you're losing is excellent-but you need that protein to maintain that muscle!

Good luck!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of fat, and I've never felt better. Also lost 20kg (44lbs). My blood sugar is perfect. My joints hurt less. My headaches are gone. I don't think about food all the time. Once you get into the swing of it (a couple of weeks I reckon) you never want to eat that crap again. In fact, I have pretty much developed an aversion to all things bread, pasta or potato related.

The idea that fat is bad is based on 60 year old pop science, and has no resemblance to the truth. More and more actual science is coming to life to prove this. Read this article, you'll find it helpful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-science-of-saturated-fat-a-big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html

My dad has had diabetes for about 15 years now, and has been very unwell, his blood sugar constantly around 20 while following the Diabetes recommendation of a low fat, high grain, plenty of fruit diet. Those people have alot to answer for, this is the worst diet a diabetic can possibly be on. Period. This year he's been eating low carb, plenty of fats, olive oil, butter etc, and he's lost 15kg. And his blood sugar is a constant 5 - 6 for the first time in for ever.

You decide ...
  • pklme
    Options
    Hi, this is great, I'm just starting too, and needing to lose a similar amount. We could keep each other company?
    I've set MFP to 25% carbohydrates and I'm letting everything else look after itself. I exercise 30mins a day, and aim for 1400 calories. So far its been easy, never hungry, lots of choice, just the odd moment where scrambled egg looks a bit lonely on the plate. I've seen a bread substitute made with cream cheese and eggs that I want to try.
    Good luck!
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Good Morning America the other day. A new study showed that low carb/high fat dieters lost more weight and were healthier than low fat dieters.

Has anyone else heard or seen the report?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was listening to Good Morning America the other day. A new study showed that low carb/high fat dieters lost more weight and were healthier than low fat dieters.

Has anyone else heard or seen the report?

I don't watch GMA, but I assume it's the recent one that's surfaced. In which case, it's been picked apart in half a dozen threads on MFP alone. The biggest flaw in this study in particular (from what I gather) is that the "low fat" ...isn't. The "low-fat" intervention took fat intake from 35% to 30%, while the "low-carb" intervention went from 50-60% carbs to something like 5-10% (modified Atkins, I think).

It's a mediocre study at best, and there are far better ones out there. Such as the A to Z trial -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17341711 and the others Dr. Attia talks about throughout (and particularly at the end of) his video on the history of the politics around fat --
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf is the queen of low carb info lol. When I first heard about all this about 5 weeks ago I was like you. So I did a bunch of research. The site that kind of put all the pieces together for me was www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and there is a video of a lecture he gave that blew my mind! I started about a month ago and haven't looked back. I feel amazing, have a lot less headaches, stay full much longer, have lost most of my cravings for sugars and starches, and have lost 17.2#s as of today. On WW it took me over three agonizing months to get here.

I'm 5'4" and started at 282 just to give you some reference. I have become a huge evangelist for the low carb, high fat, moderate protein lifestyle. I personally started wanting to stay below 75g, then 50, and then it became a challenge to see how low I could go. Now I've found that my sweet spot is between 30 and 40g of TOTAL carbs, 80-100 protein (if I go over it's not that big of a deal to me, just keep it down bc in excess it can turn into glucose which then turns into fat just like carbs), and the rest fat.

Just figure out what works best for you and go with it! Good luck!
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I see a bariatric physician, who puts all of her patients on a low carb diet. Her variation is that you count all carbs, not net carbs, but don't count any that are in the allowed vegetables (pretty much everything except butternut squash). I'm allowed to eat 20-30 carbs a day, and I bring in MFP diary with every appointment. I'm 5'2" and started at 258. It's been almost a year and I am down 50 pounds. This is with no exercise. I've lost enough that I can start exercising and building muscle. It definitely works for those with a lot to lose.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, 5'1 and started at 233#'s (A cup-:sad: ) about 11 months ago when I found keto. Currently I am at 167 and I still will like to lose another 40#'s.

When I started my A1C was 8.4 and my blood pressure and cholesterol were on the high end that my doctor was considering medication for both. After 5 months my A1C was at 5.3, BP was normal and my cholesterol numbers my doctor said were impressive from where I started.

Two other co-workers have followed my keto footsteps and lost excess pounds. One of them was able to get off his satins he was taking for elevated cholesterol and the other co-worker lowered his A1C that the doctor decided he no longer needed to take metformin.

I have to say a LCHF diet does not feel like a diet.... I do not have that starving feeling like I used to have on a low cal diet. I'm surprised that I will be celebrating a year in this new lifestyle next month because for once I have enjoyed eating while dieting. odd concept :bigsmile:

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do!

See my lab results below:

LabTest Units 11/14/13 01/23/14 04/10/14

Total Chol mg/dL 197.00 210.00 158.00

Chol/HDL ratio 5.20 3.80 2.70

Triglycerides mg/dL 54.00 49.00 56.00

CHD Risk 1.40 0.80 0.50

LDL mg/dL 148.00 145.00 89.00

Low Density Lipo mg/dL 11.00 10.00 11.00

HDL Chol mg/dL 38.00 55.00 58.00

A1C % 8.40 5.70 5.30

Glucose mg/dL 109.00 87.00 81.00
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In May I had to change the way I monitor my diabetes. I used to take my insulin based on what my blood sugar was at the time of my meal. I was testing my blood surgar 3 times a day. Then, in May, my doctor told me to try and count carbs and base my insulin intake on what I eat. Also, I was prescribed a continuous glucose monitor. Since changing, I no longer want to take large amounts of insulin so I don't eat a lot of carbs. I am down 24lbs and feeling happier with myself. I used to take a minimum of 18u of insulin and then add units based on what my blood sugar was. Now, I take an average of 5 units per meal. Sometimes more or sometimes less.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In May I started a LC diet, with a doctor program .. I have lost 40 lbs now. I have not felt shaky, but I do get very hungry when it is time to eat... Drops that made my regular doctor take notice .. blood sugar, cholesterol

I am still having some blood pressure issues, but my mom was little bitty and had issues .. I am hoping that I can drop my caffeine intake and bring it down.

I have been on LITERALLY 100 diets! This has been the easiest and made the most sense.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If your interested in reading all the benefits and scientific data about low carb dieting here's a link I found that summarizes 23 studies *with links to the actual data so if your like me and want to know what is said is true you can see it in the scientific journals too*.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

These studies show that low carb dieters lose weight more quickly, often stick with the diet longer (slightly less people on the low carb diets went "off the wagon" during the studies), can lose weight while eating more calories and have fantastic improvements in their cholestorol, triglicerides, HDL, LDL etc.

Now, let me give advice from my own personal experience. Low carb works well for me. I lost 40lbs in about 6 months the first time. I was able to maintain my loss for about a year while still eating somewhat low carb. I feel fuller when I go low carb and don't binge eat as much. However. Low carb diets (especially ones that are SUPER low carb like Atkins) can get really boring really fast. Also, be sure you don't have hypoglycemia. Going too low in carbs when you have low sugar issues anyway will make you turn into a zombie...and make you feel like crying in a corner all day like I did.

Super low carb diets like Atkins can also be very unforgiving. Once in Ketosis your body will lose steadily. If you take a day off though and cheat once, your body will throw itself out of ketosis and it'll take another week of hard work to start losing again. I burned out very badly after 2 years trying to keep it up. The thought of eating another piece of meat turned my stomach. This turned into a yo yo dieting nightmare for me.... ack!

So with that said. I'm having really good results this time keeping my carbs in the 50-90 a day range and trying to pack as much protein and healthy fats as I can into my day while still maintaining a lower calorie count. I've found I can eat more calories, with reduced carbs and still lose more effectively without going crazy. Its a great way to leverage both things that fuel weight loss (lower cals and lower carbs). The more whole foods (lean meat, fish, veggies) you can make yourself eat the more success you'll see. This method allows me to cheat once in a while without breaking my weight loss momentum too.

Another plus. The foods in the lower carb AND lower calorie range almost force you to eat the whole clean foods that are most healthy and most filling for you. Processed/junk foods are usually either high carb or high calorie. I've learned to love these clean foods (even the ones I didn't before) because I now feel soo much better.

Here's something I highly recommend. Go get a full blood panel done before you start. Then get one done 6 months to a year later after eating lower carb as solidly as you can. I can guarantee there will be positive changes that will impress both you and your doctor! Remember to take it one step at a time and find a lower carb lifestyle that you can maintain for life and stick with it. I'm excited to see your results. Good Luck!