Need help with Triglycerides...

Options
milocamolly
milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
Hello! I am wondering what your triglyceride numbers are? Mine fasting are at 654, I know that is very high. My doc put me on 1500mg metformin and I am taking fish oil now. What are/were your triglyceride numbers and what did you do to lower them? I have been doing lots of researching regarding ways to lower them but it would be nice to hear from people who have been where I am and to hear some success stories about it.

Also do you get tired all the time? I almost always need to take a nap. I hope that when my numbers get lower that I won't be so tired.

Replies

• express1975
    express1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't remember my number off hand but I did have high cholestrol/triglyceride and took meds for it. I increased my fiber intake and took l-carnitine, too. For me, it was that plus a combo of eating less, eating better and using my treadmill that also helped me get off of the meds. I also took metformin but now I don't. And as for being tired, I dealt with that too. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I had to sleep with the sleep apnea machine because I snored so bad. I wasn't able to get good rest. As I have lost weight, everything seemed to improve.
    I hope this was helpful.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the comments fro express1975.

Get plenty of fiber
    Control your calories
    Exercise on a regular basis

Regarding being tired, I find it helpful to have a small snack in between my meals to keep my bgl stable.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    5/20/14 - Triglycerides - 57 - Reference Range <150 mg/dL
    7/22/14 - Triglycerides - 48 - Reference Range <150 mg/dL

The only thing I've been doing is following my MFP calorie goal and exercising. Cardio 5-6 days a week 30-60 minutes and then at the end of June I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program 3 days a week lifting weights.
    I also take 1500mg of Metformin a day - 3 times at 500 mg each for my diabetes. Before I was diagnosed in April I was getting tired all the time, beyond tired. I just figured it was because I was super busy and stressed. I even broke down in my car in the driveway one morning before work because I was so tired! But since I've been on the Metformin and counting calories I haven't felt tired like I use to. It's almost like night and day. The first month I didn't exercise, I had to ease myself into it. I also take 2 pills for high blood pressure.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My Doc told me that consistent exercise is one of the best medicines he can prescribe for cholesterol management. Just few are willing to take the correct dosage.

Tiredness is one of the symptoms of high BG. What is your BG before and after meals?
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,309 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eating low carb has helped us. High carb consumption (anything over 150 per day) elevate triglycerides and lead to benign fatty liver disease which then sets up a risk for cirrhosis and cancer. Watch your carb intake.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eating low carb has helped us. High carb consumption (anything over 150 per day) elevate triglycerides and lead to benign fatty liver disease which then sets up a risk for cirrhosis and cancer. Watch your carb intake.

I agree with the exercise but I eat over 150 carbs every day, usually about 200. My triglycerides have lowered. Everyone is different.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    A registered dietitian can help you figure out the best way to lower triglyceride levels. There's an article here from the American Heart Association that talks about lifestyle changes that can help lower triglycerides. http://newsroom.heart.org/news/1315 ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information, it is very valuable to me. I'm defiantly lowering my carb intake, I just need to make time for exercise. I found this out last week so this week has been a huge food overhaul now the exercise must begin.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information, it is very valuable to me. I'm defiantly lowering my carb intake, I just need to make time for exercise. I found this out last week so this week has been a huge food overhaul now the exercise must begin.

It doesn't have to be that scary. My exercise consists of an hour walk every day. Eventually I'll have to add weights and stuff I hate, but I like to walk, and like it enough to do it every day. My fitbit helped form the habit. But now I won't go to bed without getting it into my day.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    After reading what everyone has said and looking at my numbers over time, for me it looks like moderate/intense exercise has made a big impact. My highest numbers were mid to upper 200s before I changed what I was eating. I've done away with almost all processed foods, stopped most of the foods with "sugar" (desserts, snacks), and cut back a lot on carbs. That took my triglycerides to 150 (last December). Then I started C25K with combined slow jogging and walking. My last number was 87. I wish my LDL would drop as well, but you get what you get. Also, I've lost a good chunk of weight, and have basically been maintaining since the first of the year.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be that scary. My exercise consists of an hour walk every day. Eventually I'll have to add weights and stuff I hate, but I like to walk, and like it enough to do it every day. My fitbit helped form the habit. But now I won't go to bed without getting it into my day.
    ^^^^^^
    This is spot on.

I started adding exercise in 2 weeks ago and my only rule is 30 minutes of "on purpose" exercise a day. Some days it's a walk, some days it's more. And I don't stress if it's just walking as long as it's 30 minutes non-stop. My triglycerides were at 188 in March. After just working on what I ate they dropped to 118 three months later. Anxious to see what 3 months of both eating right AND exercise do for them!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's impressive to read about the fantastic results people are seeing from adding exercise into your daily routine and choosing healthier foods. Thanks for sharing your success! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides were off the chart just three months ago at 849 (eek!). Most recently, it's down to 272. Still too high. but an encouraging improvement! With diet, exercise, and medication (Fenofibrate for cholesterol, Metformin for diabetes, and Lisinopril for blood pressure), I'm feeling better all the time. My A1C also dropped from 10.6 to 7.0 over the past three months. Hard work pays off!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,309 Member
    Options

I agree with the exercise but I eat over 150 carbs every day, usually about 200. My triglycerides have lowered. Everyone is different.

Indeed! you will have to find your own tolerance levels through trial and error. I was speaking in an "in general" manner when referring to the 150 carb limit. I personally am extremely carb sensitive and do not know my upper limit yet due to still being in the weight loss phase which, at the moment is 50 or less grams per day; usually net carbs running around 20 tops.
    I dropped my A1c from 7.9 to 6.5 in less than 2 months, got off the metformin and now am running around 5.3 according to my own calculations (medication free). I will know for sure next month. That was a result of carb restriction specifically ditching grains had the largest impact and I don't miss them at all now.