August Challenge Sat Aug 16th to Fri Aug 22

Options

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Wednesday morning! I just keep chugging along. Tomorrow through Saturday will be a great test, and lots of exercise. It is the Montana State 3Gun Match, and the boys and I are also staffing the event. Lots of steel to put up and tear down, lots of walking, and long days. I will have to make sure to keep my posts here and not blow it... :D
    have a great time Mark 3 gun is always fun!
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! I'm early but John beat me here anyway. It really is great to start my day catching up with you guys!

*** Recording of the "Challenge Winners" show.**
    Info for those that think they will be among the few, the proud:
    9:30 CST Wednesday Sept 3rd.
    Google Hangout (please create a Google+ account - see below)
    Headset mic or some type of headphones and external mic is recommended

To participate in a google hangout, you need to just go to Google and create an account if you don't already have one. You would then go to the Google+ page and search for Firearms Radio Network. Please "follow" that page (add it to your circles). I am still not sure you have to do this but it seems to make it easier.
    Also - please test out the "Hangouts" if you can find that tab from the google+ page. Just click on it and start a hangout so the software downloads to your device ahead of time.

EXCITED to chat with you guys on air. I will have to make a disclaimer right up front that I didn't make it and I'm not worthy! ;)
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to thank John for the love, issues and all! ;)
    I am not sure I will ever get called out on the ice bucket challenge John so I might have to take you up on that challenge you put out to this group! Anyone else catch that? He called us all out!!

Hey Kim - how is the glute challenge going? I did a 30 day squat challenge last year. It is great for motivation and you said you wanted some. :)
    Speaking of motivation, I have already lifted twice this week. I decided today that
    I AM NOT GOING TO WEIGH MYSELF for a very long time. Why would I?? I am lifting and trying to build muscle. That is really dumb to obsess the way I do over my gravitational pull when I'm trying to get heavier muscles.
    Clothes and measuring tape.. those are my new obsessions. I mean tools.

Kevin - AWESOME on the pull ups. Some day I hope to be able to do ONE. Kick butt man!!!
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning Thursday! Been a very busy week and you really get an appreciation for what your spouse does when you have to do that stuff too. Need to get busy and start exercising again, have not worked out since my wife got hurt.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thursday morning folks!! Today is the day for dragging and setting up several thousand pounds of steel targets, clearing grass around them (fire abatement), and lots of walking!! Free exercise before the fun begins tomorrow, yee haw!!

Carol, it is cool to see how far you have come since starting Muay Tai.

Challenge, someone called me out for a challenge??

My 13yo son has decided that he wants to do one of the Spartan races. Luckily that means next year, so I have some time to ramp us both up to get ready. We did the Dirty Dash in Missoula last year, which is really just a short, fun, silly time. He loved it though.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Just commited to a 16 mi Ruck Sack Challenge for Carry The Fallen on Sept 6th in Savannah Ga. Anybody want to join me?
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Speaking of motivation, I have already lifted twice this week. I decided today that
    I AM NOT GOING TO WEIGH MYSELF for a very long time. Why would I?? I am lifting and trying to build muscle. That is really dumb to obsess the way I do over my gravitational pull when I'm trying to get heavier muscles.
    Clothes and measuring tape.. those are my new obsessions. I mean tools.

Kevin - AWESOME on the pull ups. Some day I hope to be able to do ONE. Kick butt man!!!

I was told a while back to stop worrying about weight and pay more attention to health and fitness and the weight will take care of itself. I think that is lost on a lot of people, and today's society glorifies people who look like holocaust survivors. I really had to ask myself (forgive me any of yall that are older) what I wanted to be when I hit 40? At 29 I realized that I was either going to start going uphill, or just keep heading down there is no coasting. With 6 kids, my desire is to set a good example for them, in ALL areas of life as well as just being able to chase them around the yard, and maybe even do the same with grandkids some day.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Carol - 9:30 CT, is that AM or PM? Doubt I will miss a day this weekend since we are neither camping or backpacking. Other activities and the weather are not cooperating with my plans! LOL

Not doing well with my eating. Doing a lot of comfort eating lately and it's getting totally out of control. Hate when I do this... I know how awesome I feel when I eat well, but old habits are so hard to break.

But today is a new day and a new chance to do better!
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It was a tough night last night as we went to a baseball game at the local Triple A team. However I stayed away from the beer and it was 50 cent wing night so I just had 15 boneless wings and stayed in my calories.

As long as that is 9:30 pm I can make that assuming I don't miss any days between now and Aug 31st. Here are the 8 people still in the running. Hmrjmr1, MarkMcElvy, montana_girl, beerbikegirl, markd_cronenw, GoodDaytoYou, heronh and Howie.
  • howie6267
    Options
    AND BOY DID I WANT A BEER!
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Howie- hear you on wanting a beer! Try working in the industry. I love beer, but have to be somewhat careful how much I drink it. If I'm not eating any other grains, I can sneak in a beer or two a week without bloating or GI distress. More than that nope, not so much.

Carol - Glad to hear you aren't going to weigh for a while. I was worried if you started getting a little initial inflammation, extra glycogen and even muscle gain you'd see it on scale and freak. Jason Seib has some great pictures somewhere of women at the same weight before and after starting weight lifting, but like 3 sizes or more SMALLER (maybe his book, but I think also on line, I'll try to find).

Kevin - I'm with John on just lift weights and walk - maybe adding in some short sprints on your walks. I discovered this summer that the neighborhood south of us is quite rolling hilly. I've been doing longish walks maximizing the hills all summer, and have now progressed to adding 5-8 20-30 second sprints up the hills (really jogs, I'm so not a hard runner). I noticed this weekend mountain biking that more climbing ability, aerobic fitness, and ability to recover from a climb while still pedaling (climb in WI "mountain biking" scale) is greatly improved. Despite not riding as much all summer but walking tons of hills. I've also discovered that I lost zero deadliest strength over the summer despite not lifting. Bret t Contreas posted a link to an abstract that talked about uphill running (and I believe walking) activates the glutes. (Have no clue my 1rep DL max....as I only have enough Olympic plates to load a 150# total bar. I know I can do at least 3-5 reps 2-3 sets with it currently. If my goal is a greater thana 200# DL, I better buy a set of 35 or 45s or something one of these days)

Which leads me to the 30day flute challenge Carol asked how it was going. Only on day three so can't really answer. I added a 15# KB yesterday and today. I am a bit worried about the volume in future weeks. Both from a time to complete and a recovery standpoint - as it really gets into far too long metabolic work. I'm considering just doing the 60-70-80-90-100 rep rotation over and over but upping weight each week. Versus building to 250 reps. I know my body and how quickly I get into cortisol issues - not to mention injury. Nonetheless, its got me back into the basement lifting some weight. I enjoy lifting. But summer I enjoy walking/hiking/biking more and use my limited time for that.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That was easy to find

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Deb at 155 before and after.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Pretty cool post beerbikegirl! So true, the scale can be your worst enemy.

I went to swim aerobics for the first time tonight. It was surprisingly awesome! Proud of my friend for going. We suited up and killed it for an hour.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Checking in real quick. My ankle is hurt so no Muay Thai boo!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Funtastic Friday Folks. I hope all is well with all of you.

Carol - I had assume 0930 meant in the morning but either way I would need a day of leave to do it, fortunately my Supv is pretty flexible and approved it yesterday. So if the sun keeps shining and nothing much goes wrong between now and then I'll be there.

Heron - Bummer on the ankle, hope it gets better soon just remember it takes 10 X as long for connective tissues to heal than it does muscle. So give yourself plenty of rest.

Had a farewell lunch for a co worker yesterday at Red Lobster, Doubled up on the Stuffed Mushroom appetizer and kept things carb free. I'm not much of a seafood fan but the Crab Lobster stuffing under cheese was pretty good.

Don't forget folks RED TOP (Remember Every Deployed Troop Overseas Protecting us.) on Fridays.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    AND BOY DID I WANT A BEER!

:)
  • howie6267
    Options
    Doesn't everyone want a beer! It's proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. lol John I think you are stuck on military time, you added a 0 in there. lol Carol works days so I think she meant pm but I could be wrong.

I had a great week this week and the scale showed it. I'm down the 4 lbs I was up last week.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo!! Multigun Friday is HERE!! Lots of run'n and gun'n is here. The boys I and I did manage to forgo the pizza that was delivered yesterday for the setup crew. It helps when you bring your own lunches. We packed the Suburban with gear, good food, and thousands of rounds of ammunition to expend today.

It is cooler, and supposed to rain, so we shall see how excited I am when we get home :D
  • angelaneale
    angelaneale Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone! I love reading all of your contributions as to what's a happening in your lives. Such a diverse group. It's really cool.

Kim - You are definitely on to something regarding lifting heavy as opposed to doing hundreds of reps. I think that lifting weights will give you much better results. In the end, what we are going for is hypertrophy and that comes from lifting heavy weights...at least that's what I have read. There are other glute programs on that same site or through the same trainers that include heavy lifting days. I chose the challenge because I do well with them and they keep me inline and interested for at least the challenge time (in this case 30 days). I'm also doing 3 days/week of strength training too. Since I hurt my back a month ago, I'm taking it slow. The workout I found is here: http://www.strongfirst.com/why-a-woman-should-be-strong/. It can easily be done in your home gym since you have a barbell and maybe kettlebells or dumbells. I'm doing Romanian deadlifts instead of barbell deadlifts...at least for this week.

Stacy - I know you will get back into your groove. I get in a funk often. I seem to do well for a few months, get too comfortable where I at, slack off, get depressed and over it, have to (or should) buy bigger clothes, and then I'm forced to get back to it. Vicious cycle, but I do it every year. Sometimes a few times a year. Duh-It just seems silly. :)

Carol - You are doing great with your workouts and eating! It's probably nice to have a trainer and a nutritionist to keep you accountable and to offer guidance. Love that!

Mark - Good luck with your competition!

Howie - Great loss this week! That's amazing that you are really close to losing 200 lbs! Awesome!

Have a great weekend! BEER for all!!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday!

A chilly, wet Friday morning for me. Big change in temps from last week. We need the rain so can't really complain too much.

Today is my cat Mikey's Therapy Pet visit to the local retirement home. It's fun to see how much they enjoy it when we bring the animals to visit. I sneak Mikey into work with me for the first couple of hours (saves on driving back and forth to get him) and my co-workers adore him. LOL

Heading into the weekend and have plans to take a day trip out of town, which means a couple of restaurant meals. Luckily hubby does Paleo with me and helps me to make better choices than I would on my own! :tongue:

Hope everyone has a great day!