Food Friday 8/22 - Vitamin C for Oranges?

Options
13Strong
13Strong Posts: 502 Member
Vitamin C is probably the most known vitamin and most of us tend to try to get more of it to avoid being sick. Vitamin C can be found in broccoli, bell peppers, brussel sprouts, strawberries, pineapples, cantaloupe, cauliflower, papayas and other fruits and veggies.

It's an antioxidant which helps reduce damage / slow increased-aging. Vitamin C will also help with the absorption of iron as well as produce collagen which is critical to the structure (skin and bone) of our bodies. It also assists with eye health, cholesterol, DNA, and neurotransmitters in our brains.

vitamin-c_zps0aa5ee45.jpg

Where do you get vitamin C?

Check in!
Food,
Exercise
Water

(Ps. I have to edit this post once I get to a computer. )

Replies

• texasbeu2y
    texasbeu2y Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Umm...I don't eat any of those fruit...might have to start eating oranges.

Food: well I don't know I'm so tired of chicken now.....I may have chipotle with steak today

Exercise: I'm on the arc cyber trainer right now trying to push through the last 18 minutes of my hour cardio

Water: I have already downed a half a gallon so I might drink more than a gallon today.

I guess I need more vitamin c.
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clementines! But they are so small, so I would have to probably eat 14 of them to get the equivalent of 7 medium oranges. ha ha. But lately, I've been addicted to them. Soooooooo good. I do take a vitamin C supplement.

Food: I made a ground turkey with green chili and fat free cheese quesadilla with corn tortillas for lunch. (yes! got a home cooked meal in). As far as breakfast goes, I might have some oatmeal with walnuts, or a smoothie. I haven't decided yet. For snacks, I know I am taking a couple clementines with me to work, along with some cottage cheese, I think.

Water: It'll get done...at least 10 cups.

Exercise: The last couple nights I've only been getting about 4 hours of sleep because I just can't seem to stay asleep. I think I may need to stop by Walgreens and get some benadryl or some tylenol PM...my mind just won't seem to shut off. If I do stay in bed, I'm half asleep/half awake. Arg.

Side note: I asked my other half to write down what he typically eats on an every day basis - and I'm actually pretty surprised by his log. Most of his calories go straight to his drinks. Although he tends to eat a sandwich at McDonald's frequently (he works at Walmart and McDonald's just happens to be *the* restaurant in the store so it's convenient), he does tend to choose the "healthier" sandwiches of the bunch (and what I mean by healthier is the lower calorie sandwiches 350 or less). So this week I have been making him reduced calorie meals for his lunch and helped him figure out alternate drinks (switch from 5 McDonald's large cups of sweet tea to 4 large cups of ice water and 1 large cup of diet soda). It's been 4 days, and he's lost 5lbs. WooHoo! YaY him! He's off to a great start :)
  • krnorris28
    Options
    Vitamin C is the one Vitamin I know I am getting enough of! I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables including broccoli and strawberries.

Water-Not a problem
    Food-I am meeting with a nutritionist next week to go over my food diary. I spoke with my trainer last night and he said I need to increase my calorie intake by 500-600 calories. I never thought I would EVER be told to eat more!! So I packed a ton of healthy snacks for today. GNC Protein shake and a side of strawberries/blueberries/raspberries for breakfast; Almonds and a side salad with chicken and tomatoes for a late morning snack; Thai peanut chicken salad for lunch. DInner is up in the air at this point.

Exercise-Today may be my one day off. If I decide to head to the gym, I will spend 30 minutes on the treadmill doing interval training (run for 2 minutes/walk for a minute) followed by 30 minutes of strength training.

I need to speed my metabolism up! I was told it may take a week or 2 to get it back on track. I really hope I don't gain weight during that time period. That would be very discouraging.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    Options
    I actually just bought a ton of fruit cups for my desk! :)

Food: Another day under my calorie goals! Ran/walk 1.6 miles (3min walk/2min run intervals) And it actually got easier as I was running. Hopefully my surgery doesn't set me back too far. Was up to 6 cups of water yesterday, I'm getting there!
  • kashaas
    kashaas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take a daily vitamin to supplement what vitamin needs I don't meet. I love fruits and veggies but I would never reach 7 pieces of fruit in a day. Too much sugar, yikes!

Food is good, I'm going vegetarian for a week and it's going well. Last night I made eggplant parmesan and it was wonderful!

Breakfast: coconut banana smoothie with almond butter and almond milk
    Snack: wasa crisp with egg salad and an apple
    Lunch: edamame-rice bowl with veggies
    Snack: almond, raisin, coconut trail mix
    Dinner: I'm gonna do an onion-mushroom pizza on wheat with goat cheese

Water: on 20 oz bottle #2

Exercise: probably a walk after work and some yoga

I'm happy that I still lost 1 lb this week after my trip and eating off diet (burritos, nachos, doughnuts, burgers) and drinking alcohol. I guess four days off was good for me but I was still trying to be conscious of what I put in my body and not let myself over do it while still enjoying good food.
  • GMStb10
    GMStb10 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes I take a multi vitamin too after thinking about last weeks food friday.

Food - I have been in my calorie allowance but over on my sugar macro, need to find some low sugar puddings that I can have when I fancy something sweet.
    Exercise - I woke up today full of energy, inspite of the fact I only had 4 hours sleep as usual. Walked the dog, went for a run and a bike ride and strength training.
    Water- target met.

I'm really impressed in the changes I have made in the last 2 weeks. I just need to keep strong. Thank you for all your ideas and support.
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't drive everyone nuts with asking where we get our vitamin from week after week. I'm going to continue with that. Even though I too take a multivitamin, I think it's important to know where these things come from otherwise and pay attention to it. Plus I like reading up on these different vitamins - learning something new. :)

Friday sucked. Was supposed to work a half day and ended up working a whole day. Didn't bring my lunch because I was going to go home and cook, thus ended up starving and eating enough for lunch and dinner at a fast food place. (I did not eat any dinner though...) After which, came home and went straight to bed due to exhaustion.

Water - Really low
    Exercse - None
    Food - Bad.

I knew this week is not going well. I'm not going to fall down too far though. I can get back up. I can even start today on that (saturday).