Macro Settings/Goal Success

Options
I have my macros set at 20% Carbs 65% Fat 15%Protein 1500 calories +/- 200 calories... 40 Minutes of Cardio and 1 hour of Weights Everyday... I take Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Multivitamin and Thyroid meds...

Holding my weight steady at 131. absolutely no stomach issues etc...no hunger ( which was my biggest issue in the past 20 years when trying to maintain this weight) !!

I also went back in to check if i am meeting the macro goal..
.. i noticed i am going a little over in fat and over in protein and under in carbs... but its my target so i try harder everyday.... so i will work on fixing that.......as for the calories. i am eating 500 more then in the past.. mostly i added healthy fat to meet that goal.. (thanks to some VERY good advice from Paleo Peeps :flowerforyou:

All around SUCCESS so far...

Future Goal: will be to lose a tiny bit more body fat around my waist, either in some inches or weight.. my waist is a 28.. would love it to be a 26 again which would make my clothes fit better..... I am short so not a big deal..... hopefully i just lose the inches and not weight because the rest of my measurements are fine.... at this age.. fat is keeping me from looking OLD... so i dont really want to lose to much more... curves are good :) !!!

Replies

• engineergirl1
    engineergirl1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say add in a little more protein and adjust carbs/fat down to make the room. You'll need the protein to add the muscle necessary to lose the inches. I follow a 33% fat 33% carbs 33% protein scheme right now, but plan to transition to less carbs more fat in the near future.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I would say add in a little more protein and adjust carbs/fat down to make the room. You'll need the protein to add the muscle necessary to lose the inches. I follow a 33% fat 33% carbs 33% protein scheme right now, but plan to transition to less carbs more fat in the near future.
    I agree re: the protein. You should be eating closer to 1g/lb LBM to preserve muscle. You're currently eating only around 56g.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i always go over in my protein anyway.. but like i will research this more...maybe i am under eating protein thank you for your advice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I too agree with more protein, but not necessarily less fat, and never under 50% of calories from fat imo. Carbs could be lower, but that's my opinion as someone who thinks too many carbohydrates are detrimental to the average person. I'm not sure how one would get 20% calories from carbs unless they were eating far too much fruit.

I don't at all think the "balanced" approach (macros about the same percentages of calories) is good for anyone except maybe extremely active people and bodybuilders and there certainly are a few around here who would fit that description but not the majority.

PS: that's a lot of time spent exercising every day.... You might want to consider moving regularly throughout the day (as a normal part of your life) at a low intensity but your weight and cardio sessions may benefit you better if they are very high intensity for a short period of time. For instance, if you can lift weights for an hour I'm not sure you are working at a high enough intensity to reap the benefits. I'm certainly no fitness expert but I am researching in this area to try to figure out what I should be doing now that calorie restriction is such a fail.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't at all think the "balanced" approach (macros about the same percentages of calories) is good for anyone except maybe extremely active people and bodybuilders and there certainly are a few around here who would fit that description but not the majority.

PS: that's a lot of time spent exercising every day.... You might want to consider moving regularly throughout the day (as a normal part of your life) at a low intensity but your weight and cardio sessions may benefit you better if they are very high intensity for a short period of time. For instance, if you can lift weights for an hour I'm not sure you are working at a high enough intensity to reap the benefits. I'm certainly no fitness expert but I am researching in this area to try to figure out what I should be doing now that calorie restriction is such a fail.

I totally agree. I am into really heavy lifting and endurance sports and am a super nerd and like playing with numbers so I'm doing carb cycling and eat 15% carbs some days and 60% carbs on others...and I have a really hard time hitting that high of a number (300g!). This is including a crap ton of veggies, bananas, sweet potato. It's ridiculous.

But for the average person, you really don't need all those carbs.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I too agree with more protein, but not necessarily less fat, and never under 50% of calories from fat imo. Carbs could be lower, but that's my opinion as someone who thinks too many carbohydrates are detrimental to the average person. I'm not sure how one would get 20% calories from carbs unless they were eating far too much fruit.

The fat is whats keeping me sane and not hungry.. not giving up the fat macro anytime soon...you are right about that.... i might do a litte extra carbs 1 or 2 days a week just on high workout days..... by adding extra 1./2 cup sweet potato or 1/4 cup cooked white rice... but thats all... i dont think i ever hit the 20% carbs...

at the gym i try and do high energy boosts, intermittent. ( everyone in my gym is super hard core ) i am not because i have a knee operation etc..ec.... but i listen and try to apply... 1000 trainers who all have something to say and love to talk and we are all friends. so i try for example to do stairmaster level 3 for a few minutes then kick it up to level 6 for 2 minutes.. then back....
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am just experimenting with keto paleo and it's kind of interesting! My previous macros were about 25% Carbs/ 30% protein/ 45% fat....now its more like 10% (that includes fiber) carbs/ 20% protein/ 70% fat ...I'm not sure what I think yet but I'm way less bloated and am enjoying the extra pork belly :)