Keto and Disease

Options
nill4me
nill4me Posts: 682 Member
Hi. I jumped full in this week. I am trying to stay right around 20g carb or less, and trying to keep my f/p/c % as near to 80/15/5 as possible. I have quite a bit of fat to lose, but that is a secondary concern right now. I am trying to utilize ketosis as a disease management / stabilization tactic. I'm a little nervous about the fat levels, as I don't have a gallbladder, but so far I seem to be doing just fine.

I have T2 diabetes, just recently downgraded to glucose intolerance and taken off of metformin thanks to general low-carb and primal/paleo-ish grain elimination, etc. I joined a consumer supported agriculture group, so i get most of my veggies from a local organic farmer every week, and I also participate in a meat share, so I am able to get local freshly butchered and frozen meats straight from the source, for which I'm extremely grateful.

I also have chronic thyroiditis. I take 150mcg of Synthroid (non-generic) daily. Up from 50mcg over the last 9 months...not sure whats up with that right now. I fluctuate a lot with the thyroid. its been 4 years since diagnosis and its still not under control.

I was just recently diagnosed with Mastocytosis. Its a rare form of mast cell disease. mast cells are responsible for the release of histamine, heparin, and a slew of other chemicals into the body, and apparently i have an over abundance of them, and even though I have no diagnosed allergies other than codeine, virtually anything can trigger them to degranulate and release their nasties. I have a permanent skin rash, and when the mast cells are triggered symptoms range from numbness, general allergic type reactions, flushing of the skin (mainly in the face/neck), and anaphylaxis. Thank goodness I've not yet experienced the latter, but I'll be issued an epi-pen shortly.

My point is that I have been looking for a way that I can best approach all three of these health issues, and their numerous associative side-effects. I've done some reading about ketosis, and the good things it has done for people with other types of health issues, even cancer...so I'm really hopeful. The Masto is incurable and progressive, but I'm hoping to really slow it down.

The one factor I have control over in relation to these illnesses is what I put into my body, what I put onto my body, and how I move my body. Ok. Thats 3 things.

I know the good things that grain elimination and general low carb eating has done for my diabetes. I am hoping that eating LCHF, getting into ketosis and choosing as best I can from low histamine foods or avoiding histamine liberators will help my Masto not to trigger or flare, and then with any luck my stupid thyroid will just get on board and decide to join the health party.

As an added bonus, I travel every week for my job as a software consultant, but I try to stay in hotels that have some semblance of a kitchenette, so that I can get and make my own food while on the road. I fell in love with Ghee this week. Holy crap that stuff is good.

Sorry for such a long post....but any suggestions, advisement, additional reading recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am doing paleo style Keto to help my long list of ailments too. I have found just reading loads on google has been helpful. I love google, i just type in any questions and it provides loads of info.

I use this site as a guide to my numbers http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Drink plenty of water, put salt on food and get potassium and magnesium supplements to avoid muscle cramps.
    I add coconut oil and olive oil to foods if fat is too low. Apparently it can take a couple of months to fully adapt so if feel a bit rough on it perhaps stick with it to give a fair chance. I am in week 5 and am still adjusting i think.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Applaud your success! No small achievement to be taken off metformin.

You might find Paleo proponents with a focus on diet and disease states a good read.

Kresser has a good amount of information on his site regarding disease states and a Paleo diet (good histamines read).

Sarah Balantyne and Dr. Wahls have autoimmune protocols.

GAPS diet by Dr. Campbell-McBride.

I seem to have an issue with histamine intolerance and have found that many Paleo foods have a high histamine load or release histamine in the system. Most all foods have histamines or release histamines to some degree. There seems to be some suspected high offenders like fermented foods, spinach, sardines, chocolate, leftover foods etc. They may not be offenders for you.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,311 Member
    Options
    For you gall bladder, have you tried or considered using bile salts or something like Now brand Super Enzymes for the fat digestion?

I have been in ketosis since May and used LCHF to get off my Metformin, too :happy:
    I have almost always nearly normal numbers now and they are still trending downward.
    Feel free to read my profile for some suggested reading and video links at the bottom.
    Congratulations!!!
    Consider scoping out the Over 50 Women's Club (open to women nearing 50 as well). Several of us do keto/low carb and are diabetic, too.

P. S. I have two standard poodles; is your baby a standard or a doodle?
  • nill4me
    Options
    I am doing paleo style Keto to help my long list of ailments too. I have found just reading loads on google has been helpful. I love google, i just type in any questions and it provides loads of info.

I use this site as a guide to my numbers http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Drink plenty of water, put salt on food and get potassium and magnesium supplements to avoid muscle cramps.
    I add coconut oil and olive oil to foods if fat is too low. Apparently it can take a couple of months to fully adapt so if feel a bit rough on it perhaps stick with it to give a fair chance. I am in week 5 and am still adjusting i think.

Hi, and thank you for the advice! I did get a calcium/mag/zinc supplement that i take in the evenings, and I also got a salt substitute for my potassium. I also used that same site to help with figuring out my ratios. I do need to work on my water intake, sometimes I forget.

I am doing pretty well so far, glucose was 114 when I got home this afternoon around 4, and ketones were 0.6, so I think I'm on my way.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Applaud your success! No small achievement to be taken off metformin.

You might find Paleo proponents with a focus on diet and disease states a good read.

Kresser has a good amount of information on his site regarding disease states and a Paleo diet (good histamines read).

Sarah Balantyne and Dr. Wahls have autoimmune protocols.

GAPS diet by Dr. Campbell-McBride.

I seem to have an issue with histamine intolerance and have found that many Paleo foods have a high histamine load or release histamine in the system. Most all foods have histamines or release histamines to some degree. There seems to be some suspected high offenders like fermented foods, spinach, sardines, chocolate, leftover foods etc. They may not be offenders for you.

Thanks so much for your input...I've looked into GAPS, but I am fuzzy on the science behind it. its not as clear cut to me as keto is.

I am so new to my diagnosis, I am still learning what works food wise and what doesn't, in combination with trying to keep my blood sugar reasonable. Its rough. I know wine is a major offender for me, and that makes me very sad....lol I also have to avoid soy lecithin...i start itching like there is no tomorrow. There are also some clothes i cannot wear for an extended period of time without major irritation.. Its quite the learning process isn't it?

Do you take antihistamines regularly for relief?

I appreciate the links and reading....i'm looking forward to diving in!
  • nill4me
    Options
    For you gall bladder, have you tried or considered using bile salts or something like Now brand Super Enzymes for the fat digestion?

I have been in ketosis since May and used LCHF to get off my Metformin, too :happy:
    I have almost always nearly normal numbers now and they are still trending downward.
    Feel free to read my profile for some suggested reading and video links at the bottom.
    Congratulations!!!
    Consider scoping out the Over 50 Women's Club (open to women nearing 50 as well). Several of us do keto/low carb and are diabetic, too.

P. S. I have two standard poodles; is your baby a standard or a doodle?

Congratulations in coming off your meds as well. Its a lot of work, I know. I will definitely take a look at your profile, thank you for sharing. So far I seem to be doing OK with the extra fat, surprisingly enough. Our baby is a doodle :) We love him to death. We are thinking our next fur baby will be a standard....they are so lovable.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Polovitchj-I took anti-histamines old and newer types with varying success over the years. In recent years they seemed to be less effective and the problems seemed to intensify. In early July this year I found myself suffering on a daily basis without relief from anti-histamines.

I did an internet search and found that mega doses of vitamin C works for some people with histamine intolerance. I started with one gram of vitamin C and found relief. As it is water soluble and has a short biological half life; I currently take 1 gram in the morning, 1 gram at noon and a gram when I go to bed daily. It has been incredibly effective for me and don't find any side effects. Some people initially have stomach upset. You can also get buffered vitamin C.

Do your research and due diligence. I don't know anything about your condition.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Found this somewhere on the net-

Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. It both prevents histamine release and increases the detoxification of histamine. A 1992 study found that taking 2 grams vitamin C daily lowered blood histamine levels 38 percent in healthy adults in just one week.[78] It has also been noted that low concentrations of serum vitamin C has been correlated with increased serum histamine levels.[79][80]

I have had many Doctor visits where my histamine intolerance was discussed. Never was there a mention of vitamin C. Of course no weekly big pharma detail man pushing vitamin C.
  • deoxy4
    Options
  • nill4me
    Options

Hi. Funny you sent that, I found it the other day at work while on lunch. I hadn't had time at the moment to read the whole thing, but sent it to my inbox for later this afternoon.

I've read some about the vitamin C helping some people. I am not a fan of meds that tax our bodies in their processing, so I try for more holistic, natural supplements. During the week, I take Ashwaganda, holy basil and quercetin twice daily. quercetin is supposed to be a natural antihistamine also, as well as a mast cell stabilizer. ....it can be found in apples (mostly the peel), onion and blueberries. I really need to try and keep those buggers stable so they don't set off.

I recently ordered some holy basil seeds....I just need to figure out what to do with them. I think you can use them very similarly to chia.
  • nill4me
    Options

I have had many Doctor visits where my histamine intolerance was discussed. Never was there a mention of vitamin C. Of course no weekly big pharma detail man pushing vitamin C.

And this is yet another reason I'm not a fan of dispensed meds. The desire of big pharma and the general med community not to heal but to milk the collective cash cow. The desire of big farm not to nourish, but to enslave and entrap, also milking the cow, and to top it off the role of our own governmental entities, pulling it all together with a bow.

Sorry about the rant....I'm generally not overtly outspoken, there are just somethings that really push my buttons.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Mastocytosis. Sounds like you are being proactive and doing the hard work of taking charge of your health. Have you looked into Quecertin supplements to help with controlling histamine? Just a thought. I wish you well and good health.
  • nill4me
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Mastocytosis. Sounds like you are being proactive and doing the hard work of taking charge of your health. Have you looked into Quecertin supplements to help with controlling histamine? Just a thought. I wish you well and good health.

Thank you very much. During the week, while on the road, I do take holy basil, ashwaganda, and quecertin to try and stabilize my mast cells and help control histamine. I've only been using them for a week or so, so I can't really attest to their effects yet. I will say that when I compare how I feel from last weekend to this weekend, the difference is astounding, which I'm attributing right now to the ketogenics.

Except for the fact that I couldn't get to sleep until 230 am...that stunk, but I am reading that as one of the temporary side effects.