Welcome and Introduction

Options

Replies

• mtnheathr
    mtnheathr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to the site, and I love it! :) I decided a couple of months ago to change the way that I eat and I have lost 15 lbs. I was actually looking at weight loss stories for encouragement and found this site mentioned, so I decided to join. I am really looking for some support and encouragement and can definitely give support and encouragement back! :). I am currently 310 lbs. I would like to lose 160 lbs.

A short Intro... I fell down some stairs at Christmas. It shouldn't have been that bad and had I been a regular size I would've brushed myself off. I missed the second stair of 3 leading down into my converted garage which is now a den. I broke my right tibia at the ankle, and fractured the back of my right fibula. I hyper-extended my left foot trying to catch myself and when the dust settled, I was laying in a puddle of my own tears unable to move. I actually did not go to the doctor for a week. I kept thinking I'd be okay, but after a week I wasn't getting any better. Because of my weight I was in bed for 6 weeks. I was not allowed to walk or put any pressure whatsoever on my ankle for the first 3 weeks. I couldn't even use crutches because I was so heavy, I had to scoot myself back and forth from the restroom in an office chair. After 6 weeks the doctor discovered the fracture and put me in a boot for another 3 weeks.

That was a wake up call for me. I started cutting down what I ate gradually. I'm not a big over-eater, but I sit at a computer all day and I get NO activity. Without working out at all and just reducing my portions, I've managed to lose 15 lbs, but now I want to make a commitment. I feel more in control just with the small decisions that I've made, so I am ready to jump in with both feet.

Heather
  • andysdream
    andysdream Posts: 54
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and this group Heather.

Andrea
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Wow, MountainHeather - that is quite a tale! I think your choice of wording just made me realize something.. How many of us here are so strong for everyone else, we thing we can just muscle through and force our bodies to do things beyond possibility? That underlying strength, determination, and stubbornness seems so common a theme here!!! Anyway, welcome to the group, please join us on daily check ins. That is where we do most of our socializing. Welcome.

Carly in OK
  • Persephone1972
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Tanya and I have been overweight most of my life. In high school I lost 30# by changing the way i ate and got down to the lowest I ever was, 120#. I gained it all back plus 30 more within two years. Then I had 3 children, one right after another, during which I gained another 40. I remember hovering at about 225 for about 13 years. In 2010 my Nana died, i was working and going to college both full time and my marriage was falling apart. This time my whole life felt out of control, so I controlled the one thing that I felt like I could control, my eating. I was absolutely crazy for doing it but I literally starved myself for 3 months and lost 100#. By starving myself I mean not eating for days at a time, once 5 days, till I almost passed out. Needless to say that was one of the dumbest things I have ever done. I definitely learned from that experience. I now know (and have always known) that moderation is the ONLY way to do it. In that year, 2010, during the huge weight loss, I came down with a neurological disease that is a lot like MS, but it doesn't progress. I asked my doctor if it may have been caused by my starvation, and he said no. But it seems like an awfully big coincidence to me. During my first few months of my illness I again turned back to food and here I am. I started on this site last Tuesday at 272.

I'm just so happy to be able to connect with people who are like me. I grew up and live in a small town. My youngest daughter graduated high school this year. At her graduation, and I'm not exaggreating, there were 2 large women. And I was one of them. Boy did that make me feel awful. Theres nobody near me who I can talk to or get support from. My mother is a diabetic and she's been "politely" on my case since I was a kid about my weight. When I was a teenager she would always "suggest" that I "suck it in." Its funny but I never really realized how damaging that was till one of my daughters told me that she said it to her. I've noticed that my often points out how fat and horrible certain people are. She never tells me straight up how fat and horrible I am, but I most certainly get the point. I'm not blaming my weight problem on her, but the criticism all my life sure didn't help.

My reason to lose weight this time is totally different than any other time in my life. Every other time has been for vanity. This time its for my health. I'm 41. I've had 2 blood clots in my life. One of them almost killed me. I feel awful all the time. My neurologist told me that I'd probably would feel better if I lost some weight. I can just barely do stairs. I huff and puff when I walk a short distance. I have diabetes on both sides of my family. I've been wondering lately if ill die of a heart attack early.I want to be around for my kids and my grandkids. Plus I want to actually LIVE my life, not just watch it pass by from my couch.

I can definitely relate to everyone who said that they've always been strong for everyone else, and taken care of everyone else. That's me too. By reading the group's threads I finally feel like I'm not all alone, or weird. Thank you all for that!

Please feel free to add me as a friend. I need as much support as I can get and ill be supportive and understanding to you as well
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tanya :) Sound like me, I want a real life, to actually LIVE it not just watch it pass by.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Tanya,

So much of your story is similar to mine, though despite my control freak tendencies, I've never managed enough strength (good or bad) to force anything on myself as you have.

I never realized how much of life was passing me by until a man returned into my life and reminded me of what life could be!!

Let's find a way to get happier, healthier, live the heck out of our lives, and maybe lose some weight along the way!

Hugs,
    Carly in OK
  • bettyas59
    bettyas59 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Betty. I'm 54 years old and just a little lighter than the highest I've ever been. Actually I think I overestimated my starting weight, didn't get on the scale before I joined MFP, but needed to join right then and there. My entire family is using MFP right now.

My goal is the weight I was before I had my now 22 year old son. I wasn't skinny, but I have never been. Actually at that weight I found it hard to loose more so I decided that was probably a good weight.

My problem now is a bad knee. I had surgery on it to remove a cartilidge tear, but it is still bad. I can't straighten it all the way. Walking is taxing but it is the only exercise I can do that does not seriously aggrivate the knee. The problem is that I work from home on the computer and often do not leave the house all day for days on end. That means I don't walk much either. Weight loss is very slow. Even though I have it set at sedentary and two pounds a week it seems like it is more like 1 pound a month. My actual wight loss since I got on the scale is only 4 lbs. This gets me depressed (I'm bipolar) and gives me the attitude of why bother at all.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Welcome both of you, please join in, no miracles here.. just a place where we are all trying to figure out why we are the way we are and help each other move forward.
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am Staci. I am 26 years old. I am 5'1 and weigh about 255 lbs. I have been obese my entire life (I grew up on comfort food and eating whatever and how much I wanted) and have suffered so much teasing and bullying that I even dropped out of school. I hate being obese and I really want to change. I was also diagnosed at 19 with T1 Diabetes. Up until now I have eaten all the sugar I wanted and never gave myself insulin. My doctor told me I would be dead within a few years if I did not diet and exercise. It scared me enough that now I am determined to be healthier. It would also not be fair to my husband if I died early. I want a family someday and I have to be healthier to have a baby. I am trying to set an example for my husband as well. He is about 315 lbs and I am so scared he wont be around for me if he doesn't lose some weight.

I think this group is great. I know it will motivate and encourage me to be healthier. Also I look to make some friendships!
  • EclecticSongbird
    EclecticSongbird Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Ashley and I'm currently morbidly obese, but I'm working on it!
    I started this journey 77 days ago, on June 9th. My reason...I'm just sick and tired of being unhealthy! I have PCOS and want to get healthy enough to hopefully get my system back to normal and maybe, God willing, have a baby!
    SW-324
    CW-297
    GW- 150 (and from there, eh, we'll see!)

I'm doing well, I've already done a 5k, and planning on another! I love my new active lifestyle and I'm excited to see my weight keep on dropping! If anyone wants to add me, I'm on daily and I'd love for us to support each other!
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been reading through the posts, and what can I say, similar stories to many. Glad we can be here for each other, please feel free to add me, I love to support and motivate!
  • wbl512
    wbl512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Marianne and this is my second time around at MFP.

I originally started in 2009 under a different profile name.

In 2012, I deleted my old profile after losing 82lbs and hitting a hard plateau. I'd hoped the new ID would help "reset" my commitment. But it didn't.

Now, 2014 is here. I've gained all the weight back and am fully committed again. I feel it!

I have been morbidly obese for 20 years.

SW: 297.2
    CW: 293.9
    GW: 158
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello,

This is my second time around on MFP. The last time was two years ago, and I managed to get to just under the morbid obesity level before I went back to my old habits. I'm trying to do things better this time, and part of that is joining groups. In the past, I've never been much of a joiner, but the past didn't work out so well.

Anyway, I'm on day 51 now, and it's going pretty well. I started out at around 382, and this morning I was around 348. I think it becomes a lot more difficult once the weight stops coming off so quickly. For right now, I have 210 as a goal weight, but I think I'll have to wait a while before I know whether that's reasonable.

I'm trying not to go crazy with the calorie restriction this time, so I'm usually somewhere between 2,000 and 2,200 calories for the day. I'm trying to make that a more significant restriction by exercising more. Right now that mostly means walking my dog about three miles a day, but I'm hoping to add other things as I lose.

I've used my kids as something of an excuse in the past, but I'm taking my youngest to college this Thursday (yikes), so after that it'll just be me and Luna, my greyhound, and her food doesn't really tempt me. :-)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Welcome Everyone!!!!!!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    hey ya'll :bigsmile: I'm Betty from Georgia and I'm happy to join you. I've been on MFP since mid July and have been faithful with logging my food diary every day. My weight was 355 on start date here and today I am 340 lbs. I've just remeasured myself and have realized that I've lost 5" total off my body, too. I'm very hyped up and excited about this journey :smile: :bigsmile: :wink: Being 50yrs old now, I'm doing this for a whole different reason than I did when I was younger. I'm genuinely concerned about my health going into old age. My goal is to eventually get off my cholesterol pill and bp med (which was recently reduced to half dose thanks to changes I've already made woohoo!). My complete story is listed on my profile, but to simplify it...I am a special case here. I have a hard time getting anywhere near my calorie goal every day and I strive to keep on a 20carb lifestyle for now. Things may change for me in the very near future and when that happens, I will be needing lots of support to keep me in check on my food diary! I have great support at home in my husband of nearly 30 years :heart: :love: He dated and married me at 250lbs and loved me ferociously even at my highest weight at 30yrs old when I topped the scale at 430lbs. He's never let weight ever be an issue between us. I'm a lucky girl :heart: We have 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren that we adore. I keep my life simple...like me :happy: No drama, no chaos if I can help it! For the very first time in my adult life, I have all the time in the world now to focus on myself :smile: I choose to make myself important enough finally to take my health seriously and to make changes for the better. I hope to have a supportive community here in all of you who can relate specifically to many of my issues having to do with my size and weight :flowerforyou:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wow - so many new intros I missed!!! Look forward to seeing you all in our daily posts - that is where we do most of our topics!

Hugs, Carly in OK
  • spooks1960
    spooks1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie. I think I joined either late march or early April. I was just getting ready to take control of my weight when my husband passed away in Mid April. I had been going to a bariatric weight loss program in my city that has the philosophy of diets don't work. My husband saw some promise in that and urged me to do the program. So in his honour and memory I have continued the journey. Amazingly, through all the stress I was able to maintain and even lose some weight. The old me would have eaten my way through the stress.

So, I am 54 years old and currently weigh 324 lbs. I have type two diabetes, high blood pressure, gluten and dairy intolerances and plenty of digestive issues. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and to be a support for others while getting support as well. Happy journeys
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A huge welcome to all our new members! spooks.. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband.. there are no words.. that is very tough for anyone to deal with.

Everyone please join in our daily threads, there is always some topic of discussion and it is the place we get to know each other. Don't be shy, although it might seem a small group on the threads, they are longer term members and have come to know each other some, but we are very welcoming of new people coming in and want to encourage everyone.
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    Hello Group,
    I started MFP a week ago at 257 pds. Would like to lose 50 and then 50 more. Funny how 100 sounds impossible but 50 is manageable. Have always be heavy - and am sick of it both literally and physically. Time for a change. I am hoping that the support I find here and a better outlook on what is ahead of me will help.

Thanks for the board - have been reading your posts and see that I am most certainly not alone.
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    A huge welcome to all our new members! spooks.. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband.. there are no words.. that is very tough for anyone to deal with.

Everyone please join in our daily threads, there is always some topic of discussion and it is the place we get to know each other. Don't be shy, although it might seem a small group on the threads, they are longer term members and have come to know each other some, but we are very welcoming of new people coming in and want to encourage everyone.

Really new here. Question: to see daily threads do I come here or do I add the writer as a friend? (such a beginner)