Where does your training take place?

Options
Very large dojo, small dojo with a few loyal students, local gym, back yard with a few old training partners? I have had a sampling of a few different settings. Tell me about yours. What do you love about it? What settings have you experienced and loved or hated?

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We train in a small dance studio with hardwood floors. I love it! We consistently only have 4-5 adults in our class but some days there are up to 10. Our kids class has about 15 normally. More than about 20 and it gets really tight.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Un-Air Conditioned ware-house type gym with an area for Strength and Conditioning, a full-size cage, and a mat area for fight practice In Florida. It gets very hot.

About 8-12 MMA guys in the morning, about 25-35 BJJ folks in the MMA class, have never gone to striking class. About 20-40 total Strength and Conditioning only folks.

DS20140321_gym_gainesville_fit_brazilian_jiu-jitsu_fitness_martial_arts_family_fitness_strength_athletics_training_mma_mixed.jpg?height=400&width=300

Judo
    Medium sized converted home dojo. Less space but air conditioned and has a living room with couches and TVs for parents/kids/etc., which is nice.

About 5-6 adults and 6-10 kids on average. 3 Black Belts, including me.

10488320_786561101366129_1469752316635771615_n.jpg?oh=41bb5d42f24a863ba7b53cb7a9cb051a&oe=543A149F
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    TKD:
    TKD takes place in two different locations
    - The Dojang. It is a medium sized room, with a padded floor. Minimal to no AC, so in the summer it's extra challenging. There are usually around 6 of us there, on any given day, though I understand there is a day that I don't go to that has kids there.
    - The YMCA. Once a week I attend classes at the YMCA, with my sons. The room there is big, with large windows for plenty of natural light. But the floor is fake wood flooring over concrete, so it's a bit rough on the ol' body.

Aikido:
    - Aikido takes place at a community center, in a dedicated room that the Sensei's pay rent on. Traditional decor, very cool soft floor. AC seems to be alright, thank goodness. There are usually about 6-9 of us there, depending on day and who is instructing.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm doing karate in Okinawa, so I train in a small, old dojo, with wooden floors (with a couple of holes in a few places), very warm and humid in the summer (no AC of course, just a couple of fans), no changing room or showers, just a tiny Japanese bathroom. Juniors' class (under 13 year old) has about 15 kids, seniors' (13 and above) has 2 adult foreigners and ~10 junior high school kids. Almost everyone is shown in the pic below

mcade9.jpg

Sensei is on the far right, the two guys in front were our sempais but they left to open up their own dojos (thus the pic). Training is occasionally frustrating because of the lack of adults but still it's intense and lots of fun.
  • jwalls0721
    Options
    In my garage with 4-6 local guys who train.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A small school in an industrial part of town. I think it was a dance studio before; hardwood floors and a big mirror
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai
    Small gym on one floor in a building
    it gets stuffy cos we have Thai trainers who don't like opening the windows cos they complain of the cold ! ( it is winter here)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga - at a Krav Maga worldwide center with a ton of members 60+ (only about 15 at same time on average)

Boxing - old boxing gym (only option in my area)

Fitness - Title boxing to work on both strikes and fitness at the same time
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a Kravist and Wing Chun Guy :) teach at a school and do private training

mark

Add me to your friend lists Martial Artists ..

Trying to drop 30 and stay down