Mix it up with Gym work and Running!

Options
AquaticQuests
AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
My regime consisted solely of swimming and calorie counting!
It worked great!

Recently have decided to introduce high intensity gym workouts involving primarily compound exercises with light weights, as well as time on the treadmill!
It really helps to keep things interesting and improve my out of pool physical capabilities!

I find my body is being challenged afresh with aches and pains I had not experienced for ages!

Also good to have a wider reportoire when I find myself in places without a pool!

Anyone with similar experience?

Replies

• Catryx
    Catryx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I swim on Mondays, Wednesdays (and Fridays if I don't go hiking) and I work out with a personal trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pool time, but I also really look forward to the resistance/weight training I do with my PT.

You're right, it's a great change of pace, and I find that I am doing amazing things I never thought that I would be able to do. I agree with you, I love the achy muscles I get after a good workout.! (well, I might not 'love' them...but I love what they represent!)
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Swimming is sort of my side thing, I tend to run 3-4 times a week and swim 1-2 times. I love swimming but I love running too and for the time being at least that is what I am more focussed on. I also do strength training without weights as I don't belong to a gym and don't really want to invest in any at this stage - mostly I do pushups, situps, squats, lunges and step ups and planks. I find it overall works well and I enjoy what I am doing.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    swimming is my main exercise but i too joined a gym with pool , so know i love the treadmill too.
    weight training tending to impact my swimming too much so put that on hold, prob from stretching different muscles etc.
    i now have calves double the size,mainly i assume from daily 4-6k fast walking/ jogging put possibly in part due too many thousands of metre in the pool.
    both helping me shed a kg a week at any rate.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Getting fit and losing weight through swimming inspired me to go back to my old Kung Fu classes. Re-joined that at the end of last year and my weekly regime is now:

Mornings - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and/or Sunday - swimming
    Tues night 1 hour Kung Fu and Thursday night 2 hours Kung fu.
    Friday - well deserved and needed rest day.

I love my martial arts class as it a mix of everything and I really find its helping my swimming and vice versa. On the bonus side my instructor is also an acupuncturist and sports physio which means free advice on any aches and pains :)
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love swimming. I love walking and hiking. I love biking. I enjoy lifting weights. I adore yoga. I try to mix all five of those up, but in the summer it's been mostly swimming (2 - 4 times a week), yoga (3 - 5 times a week) and weekend hikes (usually on Sundays). The outdoor pool is about to close, and eventually it will cool down a bit, and I'll start cycling more and swimming less (maybe once a week). I'm looking forward to lifting weights again too. I tried it for the first time in months last week, and was relieved to find that all that swimming and yoga had helped me retain my muscle mass.