Running help needed

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
Running is the hardest part for me. I need to work on it during the off-season. I need overall improvement - some speed, and some endurance. Any suggestions/personal stories on how I can accomplish this? How should I focus on this? Can I just go out for 1-2 shorter, easier runs/week during my off-season and still improve? And just run, don't worry about speed/drills/etc? (I have some triathlon training manuals here, but they don't seem to address off-season planning - just plans for pre-season through race time.)

I completed my first Half-Ironman a week ago, but just barely before the time cut-off. I need to lose weight and think that will help my running speed (and climbing hills; I'm a speed-demon going *down* the hills lol). I haven't been able to lose any more (and actually have gained a few pounds, and don't think my BF% has changed much) since I started the hard-core triathlon training - ie about 16 months.

My general off-season plan is to cut back on cardio and try a planned weight gain/cut to see if I can get my metabolism back. I probably will still work out most days, just not the average 2.5 hrs or more/day that I've been doing for so long. I think the daily intensity/duration has hurt my weight loss as well as my ability to recover. Back when I was swimming 2x/week, running the C25K program 3x/week (=30-40 min 3/week), lifting 3x/week, and occasional Zumba class, I was able to lose weight (total 7-10 hrs/week).

So...with that in mind, I need to improve my running (which I think will be helped just by weight loss, if I can get that part accomplished). BUT not with hours and hours of weekly running during the off-season. I'll still swim 2x/week and do my group rides twice a week as weather allows (probably will be cutting back mid-Oct and have to hit the 1 hour bike classes at the gym at that point). I will be weight lifting. I also want to go to some Zumba classes again, as I miss them and the girly-side they bring to my life. I need to improve my bike skills, too, but just getting out with my bike group is going to help that.

I plan to continue to train for Oly or Half-Iron triathlons as my primary distance.

At this point, I'm thinking of cutting running out altogether for 4-6 weeks (or doing one 30-45 min run/week) while I cut back on cardio, add lifting back in (stopped one month ago for race purposes), go to some Zumba, and go to all the group rides I can before it starts raining permanently. Then maybe up the running as the biking cuts back. Basically, I will go back to the what I was doing before the serious triathlon training began 16 months ago, but instead of 3 x 30-40 min running workouts per week, I will be getting in some running AND biking - obviously somewhat more total time than that. The other things will be like they were before (the swimming/lifting/Zumba) when I was losing weight.

I'm thinking of doing either some shorter tempo-type runs, or some shorter runs with some speed/some easy run parts for now.

Thoughts? Experience? Sage advice?

Recap of triathlon training goals:
1. Lose weight (first priority b/c I think this will have the greatest impact)
2. Improve running
3. Improve biking (general improvement will happen with my group for now - therefore I don't think I need to focus on specifics for off-season other than group rides)

Replies

• waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're on the right track in terms of your thoughts. I'm starting the same process now in prep for training for next season. Weights 3x week and cardio with intensity rather than endurance. I use the Body for Life lifting programs (45-50 mins per session) and the advanced Hal Higdon half marathon running program. The key for me is intensity. I substitute spin classes and occassional swims for some of the cardio sessions. Should be under 10% body fat by year end. That's how I did it prior to my accident. Let me know if you have any questions if you are interested in a similar plan.

I know I already told you this, but congrats again on your half!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The only way to get better at running is to do more running. You have to have the endurance first before speed. Why not do some short running races (10k, half marathon) during your off season and train specifically for them, using bike and swim as your cross training? I would run 4 times a week, do a tempo run, a recovery run, a mid-distance and a long distance. I really don't think you will see much if any improvement just doing 1 or 2 short runs a week. And by cutting it out all together for 6 weeks you are going to lose a ton of your running fitness and will be starting from scratch. While zumba may be fun it's not going to help you reach your triathlon goals. So I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If you want to be a better runner you're going to have to work for it.:flowerforyou:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you feel running is your limiter you need to run more than 2 times a week. I think Jen had a good suggestion in maybe targeting a spring half mary. You could train like a beast on the bike until the weather goes south up there and then switch to running focused stuff all while hitting a strong, compound movement centric lifting program. Here's the thing about tris swimming is about form and biking/running is a lot about volume (especially for newbies). If you had a huge base (years) of running fitness you could probably run 2-3 times a week and get faster, but this isn't the case for most people.

Here is what I would do. Look at a weight program like Starting Strength, 5 x 5, or 5/3/1. These are all compound movement programs that will work your rear kinetic chain (back, glutes, hips, hammies) as well as other body parts. Cylce 4 times a week. Maybe look up Jorge's plan on BT. It resurfaces every offseason. And then when the weather shifts pick up a half mary plan like Higdon's or follow Jen's suggestion. You can definitely use biking and swimming as cross training or you can replace recovery runs with form focused swimming as they fill pretty much the same role.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, so here is my personal story/opinion/advice.

At the end of last summer I was running 3-4 days a week and my race pace was around 10.5 min/mile. Through the fall and winter, I trained for a half marathon. Ran 3-4 times a week, 2 shorter runs, 1 medium, 1 long. Fast forward to the first race of the spring, first post half marathon race. I ran a 5K and beat my PR by 5 minutes! The secret...... distance/endurance training. If my legs could carry me 13.1 miles, then they could carry me 3.1 miles a whole lot faster than they used to.

One of the fastest local athletes in town has taught me a lot about running & triathlons. If you want to improve you have to keep going. Increase mileage slowly...... it helps avoid injury.

I would say that endurance and distance training is the best way to improve in running. Good luck!
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    OK...due to popular recommendation, a Higdon book will soon be on it's way to me.

Yes, I was thinking that I would increase the running when I have to back off on the bike. I think my biggest bike limiter by far is my weight (because you cannot ride very far at all around here without some type of hills). It is for running, too, but this discipline need so much more attention.

I hadn't thought of training towards a half-marathon this spring as part of my plan (or even a full, but I think a half is the more appropriate goal for me this year). I like that idea.

I've been reading another Don Fink book (Marathon Training after 40?). I like that he is a triathlete and understands how hard it is to get all the pieces in. One or two disciplines is easy - but four (or more)... Still, he doesn't include info on how to train in the off-season.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I'd say you're on the right track in terms of your thoughts. I'm starting the same process now in prep for training for next season. Weights 3x week and cardio with intensity rather than endurance. I use the Body for Life lifting programs (45-50 mins per session) and the advanced Hal Higdon half marathon running program. The key for me is intensity. I substitute spin classes and occassional swims for some of the cardio sessions. Should be under 10% body fat by year end. That's how I did it prior to my accident. Let me know if you have any questions if you are interested in a similar plan.

I know I already told you this, but congrats again on your half!

Thank you, yes, you did - but I like to hear it again. :)

I found a paragraph about a British pro in The Haynes Triathlon Manual by Sean Lerwill that states she focuses on 5K running races and Cyclocross during the off-season - both alluding to the shorter workout duration, but increased intensity you mention.

I have New Rules of Lifting for Women, but need to look through it. I am not familiar with Body for Life, but will look at it too - maybe with questions.