Eating Healthy during crazy work/study hours

Options
I know we've had them. But how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle if you're on call or on crazy shifts or a super student. How do you all juggle excercise into studying/work? This is my biggest problem and i tend to slip on this often. This is an open discussion feel free to dicuss and trade ideas!

Replies

• frayst
    frayst Posts: 62
    Options
    It is ANNOYING but the trick is to find little "hacks" in your day, iron them into your schedule and make it so habitual that you are still doing them even when you are not busy with school. Here are a few of mine:

1) Go to the campus gym during a long break between classes and/or after a late night class. Sometimes I get so frustrated during my studying that taking a break to go to the gym actually helps me relax and allows my brain to reorganize itself.

2) Get a lunchbox. Seriously. Pack snacks, drinks, fruits, and your dinner into a little lunch cooler that morning or the night before and make it your second arm.

3) Stock up on easy, healthy snacks at the beginning of the week to munch on through each day; string cheese, yogurt, veggies and hummus...remember you have a cooler now so it won't go bad. Instant oatmeal is a favorite of mine since you can get hot water in any of the cafeterias.

4) Meal plan. After you brush your teeth, put on your pajamas, and log on to Facebook, the next pre-bedtime prep is to rummage through your fridge, loosely figure out what you're going to eat the next day, and log it.

I'd love to hear some of everyone else's hacks
  • frayst
    Options
    ^^^ I realize this is mostly for studying and NOT work, being as I have little to no work experience at this point other than the free labor I offer laboratories and hospitals -__-

But the basics like working out during breaks/weekend, logging in advance, stocking up on snacks, and growing a cooler from your hip can be used for pretty much any stage in life, I'll probably still be doing this crap when I'm retired.
  • sallybazelais
    sallybazelais Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haha omg thanks so much Fraida I'm definitely going to try this out for the next couple weeks!! I'm trying to squeeze in gym time at least 3 times a week. And if time doesnt permit all the time just do some HIIT routines at home.
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For work (I've pulled 16s at the hospital before and that is nuts)

When you get a second, even if it is to chart or do anything, Sneak in some quick stretches, squats etc. Who cares if your at the nurses station dictating or charting and doing squats? No one is the answer (just please make sure your pants could take squats!!)

Always take the stairs, speed walk instead of normal walking. Move your arms :D

As for eating, pocket quick snacks with you. So you can chow down while running from room to room. I always liked keeping weighed out servings of Jerky. Easy to pop open grab a piece and eat while on the go. Also make sure to pack a filling and healthy lunch. Avoid the cafeteria food, it is all way over loaded with salt and fat and there is no easy way to get the nutrition info!!

For school I always bring more snacks than I think I need (I make sure I can fit them in the calories but I bring a ton just incase one doesn't sound good)

The big thing for me was getting a water bottle i liked and toting it everywhere with me.
  • frayst
    Options

The big thing for me was getting a water bottle i liked and toting it everywhere with me.

^^ This! My Camelbak is my fourth arm next to my original two and my cooler!
  • sallybazelais
    Options
    For work (I've pulled 16s at the hospital before and that is nuts)

When you get a second, even if it is to chart or do anything, Sneak in some quick stretches, squats etc. Who cares if your at the nurses station dictating or charting and doing squats? No one is the answer (just please make sure your pants could take squats!!)

Always take the stairs, speed walk instead of normal walking. Move your arms :D

As for eating, pocket quick snacks with you. So you can chow down while running from room to room. I always liked keeping weighed out servings of Jerky. Easy to pop open grab a piece and eat while on the go. Also make sure to pack a filling and healthy lunch. Avoid the cafeteria food, it is all way over loaded with salt and fat and there is no easy way to get the nutrition info!!

For school I always bring more snacks than I think I need (I make sure I can fit them in the calories but I bring a ton just incase one doesn't sound good)

Haha yes snacks will save me!
  • icastro25
    icastro25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So I work all night shift, which makes for really fun/strange work out times. I do my best to squeeze in a run as soon as I get home from work (about 8am) since that's when it's the coolest in the summer. It sucks when you first start your run, but after a few minutes you start feeling decent about it, and by the end you are definitely happy you did it! It finishes up my exhaustion from my 12+ hours at work; then a quick shower and bed. On my off nights, I go to sleep as soon as I get home and set my alarm for about 5 hours of sleep. Once I wake up, I have to immediately work out or I won't do it at all. Preferably, I try to make plans with a friend to work out (i.e. take a class, go for a bike ride, long walk). Having someone to be accountable to will help you get out of bed when you're entire body is screaming to go back to sleep.

I second the water bottle and lunchbox/pre-logging thing. I always carry a water bottle with me at all times. It just makes it easier to consistently stay hydrated. I take my lunch with me to work. It's really hard to fight all the temptations at work with people bringing in food, ordering food, leaving snacks out for everyone. If I take a lot of options for snacks and remember to eat something every 3-4 hours, I can usually get through the night without any bumps. Occasionally, I do order out with co-workers, but that always comes with a consequence of an extra long run or brick (bike then run combo).

Anyways, these are just some things that I've figured out after a few years of working straight night shifts. I hope it helps you organize your days in the future. I'm sure you'll figure out your own way of doing things with time though!
  • sallybazelais
    Options
    So I work all night shift, which makes for really fun/strange work out times. I do my best to squeeze in a run as soon as I get home from work (about 8am) since that's when it's the coolest in the summer. It sucks when you first start your run, but after a few minutes you start feeling decent about it, and by the end you are definitely happy you did it! It finishes up my exhaustion from my 12+ hours at work; then a quick shower and bed. On my off nights, I go to sleep as soon as I get home and set my alarm for about 5 hours of sleep. Once I wake up, I have to immediately work out or I won't do it at all. Preferably, I try to make plans with a friend to work out (i.e. take a class, go for a bike ride, long walk). Having someone to be accountable to will help you get out of bed when you're entire body is screaming to go back to sleep.

I second the water bottle and lunchbox/pre-logging thing. I always carry a water bottle with me at all times. It just makes it easier to consistently stay hydrated. I take my lunch with me to work. It's really hard to fight all the temptations at work with people bringing in food, ordering food, leaving snacks out for everyone. If I take a lot of options for snacks and remember to eat something every 3-4 hours, I can usually get through the night without any bumps. Occasionally, I do order out with co-workers, but that always comes with a consequence of an extra long run or brick (bike then run combo).

Anyways, these are just some things that I've figured out after a few years of working straight night shifts. I hope it helps you organize your days in the future. I'm sure you'll figure out your own way of doing things with time though!

This was incredibly helpful thank you!