Protein during the marathon?

Options
I am going to try some Accel Gel and 2nd Surge energy gels. What are your thoughts about the protein in these gels? They don't know how it works exactly but it seems that a few grams of protein in your running gel along with the carbs will actually prevent muscle damage. This is believed to improve running performance and recovery time. They also include caffeine. I know I ingest all of these things just fine. I have used Accel Gel in the past with no problems. Has anyone else tried these in a marathon?

Replies

• saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Following this post with interest after reading Matt Fitzgerald's stuff. I don't think I could do the Surge--too much caffeine for my size...
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't know the gels you've mentioned but, I simetomes eat a protein bar on a long run, highish carbs and something different from the usual energy type food.

I don't have any problems with them but they can cause stomach issues for some people and a protein/carb combination will slow the release of the carbs.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I read about this in Matt Fitzgerald's book and wondered about it, too. If you try them let us know. I'm currently in day 2 of the fat loading phase. Love experimenting to see what works best!
  • lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm curious the book you are all referring to?!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://mattfitzgerald.org/books/

probably either 'racing weight' or 'the new rules...'
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I know for sure it's talked about in the New Rules book.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the proteins...

But I tried a 2nd Surge gel the other day and it was the most digusting gel I ever tasted. I didn't even finished it... And was stuck with that taste in my mouth for the rest of my run, even after taking another gel and drinking lots of water. Bleh!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just got a box of 2nd surge chocolate. Josee kind of scared me now but I will try it anyway. It is supposed to be more liguidy. I know the accel gel vanilla is very good. If the research is accurate then protein will matter.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I tolerate caffeine very well and use caffeinated gels during very long runs.

I am not educated enough to comment on the protein during a marathon question. If you want to test it out, I am glad you are doing so during training long before race day!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just got a box of 2nd surge chocolate. Josee kind of scared me now but I will try it anyway. It is supposed to be more liguidy. I know the accel gel vanilla is very good. If the research is accurate then protein will matter.

Chocolate should be good... Keep me posted!

It was some kind of weird Pina Colada flavor I think.... I got it as a sample.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The caffeine and the protein are two different issues. Essentially the studies show that protein during and after the race will minimize the utilization of protein from muscle thus reducing muscle damage and enhancing performance. Beet juice before the race and caffeine before and during the race will also enhance performance. Accel Gel has protein but no caffeine. This has many other flavors that I know are good (i.e. vanilla) 2nd surge has a slightly less protein but lots of caffeine. I thought they said it also was more runny so you could swallow it more easily and quickly.

I feel like I am trying to align the stars to run my best marathon. The right gels and all the right timing for water and so on, I can't wait for race day.

Pacing for the marathon is a whole other discussion. I am doing everything possible to make the most out of this 3 and a half hour window for the the marathon.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Caffeine in the gels is like caffeine in Excedrin, it acts as a selective vasodilator.

However, as far as protein is concerned, it requires blood to your digestive system that probably is not "available" during a marathon run (same problem for complex carbs). No problem afterwards (maybe) depending upon how soon. Simple carbs can be more easily broken down and utilized by the body though even that is limited during a marathon.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have a sample box of 6 Accel gels and I've been afraid to use them since Chicago is getting close and my current plan works well. Several of the Accel gels DO have caffeine.

For my caffeine, I alternate the Cliff gels throughout my runs 25 mg and 100 mg. If I eat two 100 mg in a row, it makes me feel spaced out.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a sample box of 6 Accel gels and I've been afraid to use them since Chicago is getting close and my current plan works well. Several of the Accel gels DO have caffeine.

For my caffeine, I alternate the Cliff gels throughout my runs 25 mg and 100 mg. If I eat two 100 mg in a row, it makes me feel spaced out.

WOW! That is a lot of caffeine. It would probably make me want to walk on a ceiling ( a little tough to do outside! LOL!). Once you find what works, I agree with you, stick with it.