Couple of weeks to kick in!

Just thought I would post my progress for anyone else starting Alternate day fasting.
So far 3.5 kg in 30 days, with most of that in the last two weeks!

I was a bit discouraged in the first two weeks by lack of weight loss, but my energy levels and skin felt great.
As I got better at not overeating too much on the off days, and my metabolism adjusted to the fasting, I rapidly began to lose weight.

This week I got on the scales and thought - there is no way I can have lost 2kg in a week - that's scary.
I didn't believe it so I did not do a weight check in, and checked 24 hours later. Sure enough its right.

SO don't be put off by the first two weeks if you are a bit older like me, it will take your body a little while to adjust and get results.

PS don't sweat if circumstances mean you cannot meet the diet - I had a dinner party last friday and a boozy BBQ next day.
What I did was to not eat at all until dinner time both days - you still do the fasting but not the calorie counting. Just make sure the next day is 600 cals to keep the fasting on track.

for the record my exercise the last ten days has been about 35 mins a day walking the new puppy with the kids, so no too hard

Good luck :smile:

Replies

• skinnymissgonnabe
    skinnymissgonnabe Posts: 5 Member
    That's great!

I just started this week. Though I'm doing 4:3 and fasting monday, wednesday, friday by having a 500 calorie lunch.

How did you discover alternate day fasting?

I've looked online and the websites all suggest eating your "TDEE" on normal days.
    Do you mind if I ask how much you eat on normal days? I feel like eating up to my tdee as suggested is way too much food but I really don't want to mess up the diet :/

Would you mind sharing what your calories are on up and down days?

Thanks! And congrats on your loss!
  • I discovered it on the plane a few weeks ago - it was on the horizon documentary - the link is:

But I think a Lot of the people on there were doing it a bit too extreme for me.

On my up days I am averaging around 2400 cals, and 600-700 on the down.
    I should say that I try to only consume those 600 cals in the evening of the fast day, but I hear it works any way.
    I think my TDEE would be 2800, and I have done that a few times after fast days :)

good luck starting out !
  • Just thought I would share my progress again with alternate day fasting. Although I have only averaged every third day as a fast, I have lost 9.5 kg in total! The other plus is that I am slowly getting fitter by spending half an hour per day on the spin cycle or weights.

I honestly don't find the fast days difficult, but sometimes all the old bad food and drink habits creep back into the off days :)
    As this is pretty much the only 'diet' plan I have ever tried, it seems to work well for weight control and fitness. It would be difficult to prove all the health benefits that I read about ADF, but my skin is much smoother and I have missed catching any colds over winter.

Either way I am not giving up on this, as I am now two thirds of the way down to my goal weight!
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    This is day 9 for me. I've lost 4 lbs. I was hungry at first because I bought into the author's(Johnson's) idea about using Slim Fast. Once I realized I could do a lot more with 220 calories, I ditched the Slim Fast and used my own ideas. I'm thinking that I need to do less than 500 calories on the down day, as that is about 35% of my TDEE (1400) and he says go to about 20% (280). I wonder if it makes that much difference? Just thinking out loud, here, my average adds up to 850 so that should work. My fast days are MWF.
    It feels awesome because I know I can eat the next day. Wish I had heard of this a long time ago!
  • RubberBugggy
    RubberBugggy Posts: 27 Member
    I am following Dr. Krista Varady's book. She is the nutritionist who has actually done most of the research through NHI grants on this approach. She says that 500 calories (25% approximately) is the best amount for most people, male and female, on a fast day. I trust her since she has all the data and experience with this from a scientific point of view.
  • Bookchick887
    I just did some quick web research on Krista Variday. She says to eat one meal of 500 calories. I've been spreading my calories over the day. I wonder if it makes any difference over time? Do you do just one meal?
    I'm on day 18. I have a habit of weighing every day which I must break.
  • RubberBugggy
    Actually, in the book Varady suggest a snack of 100 calories, and a meal of 400. Her research indicates that that schedule produces more compliance reduces hunger. The research also recommends weighing every day. people who weigh every day lose twice as much and don't gain back as much when they stop dieting.
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    I did my first down day yesterday and was surprised how I managed, I am not someone who can do without food, I get the shakes if I don't eat my 3 meals a day, but I did it and it was great, I woke up this morning and I didn't feel hungry at all, so I am sure I will be able to continue.:laugh:
  • debrakhan
    Second down day completed, and I feel great, was a bit hungry earlier in the day, but was fine early evening and night, didn't feel the need to rush to have my breakfast this morning either.
  • Bookchick887
    That always surprises me, too. When I wake up I expect to be starving and I'm not.
    I went off for a few days while I was out of town, but back to my lowest weight again within 4 days.
    I started August 19 and I lost 5 lbs right away but then it slowed down, as usual. I'm not giving up!
    Today is a down day.
  • debrakhan
    Just completed my first week, and was disappointed when I weighed myself this morning after a DD yesterday, to see I haven't lost any weight at all, I did keep within my normal calories on my UPs well usual just below them as I try not to eat my exercise calories. Will wait and see next week as the book does say it can take two weeks for the skinny gene to kick in, so here's hoping.
  • RubberBugggy
    Hi Debra: I see from your profile that you have lost a lot of weight already and that you are within a normal weight range. From studying Dr. Varady's research and book, I think that means that your results on IF will be less dramatic, and will take more time.
  • Bookchick887
    I just went for about 3 weeks without a loss but this morning finally saw a breakthrough! If I wasn't too lazy to measure, I'm sure I would see results because my clothes are a little looser. Here's what I'm going to do...just keep going. If I stop-I gain. So I'll just keep going.
  • RubberBugggy
    Good job!
  • I'm doing alternate day fasting, with eating Lots of greens, fruit and vegetables on eat days, and nothing but water, and "tea"...I use the word tea lightly because for me, tea can be anything from boiled ginger or any type of vegetables in water, to lemon water, to actually green tea, bamboo tea, nettle tea or even just fruits like strawberries or watermelon set in water over night.
    Fast days aren't that bad. It's actually really fun, coming up with new flavors of "tea". And knowing that I'm really doing something good for my body.

My main goal is to cleanse the colon, and have beautiful skin.