Question about Synthroid/Levothyroxine

Options
I have been taking Levothyroxine for about 2 years now but not in the best way. I haven't taken it around the same time, with enough water, sometimes I forget, ect ect.

I just got a gym membership at Planet Fitness & I work 5 days a week. I haven't had success taking it in the mornings because I can't eat breakfast which is horrible. I can't take it at night because my family doesn't always eat 2 hours before I go to bed. So I'm trying (starting today) taking it at 10AM. After 2+ hours after breakfast and 1+ hours before lunch. Has anyone done this and it work just fine? I want to make sure I don't mess myself up but I need a solution because my schedule is so crazy. Any advice would be awesome. I'll talk to the doctor at my clinic when I go for refills but for now, some advice would be nice. (:

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ml5of7
    ml5of7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine in the morning, at least a half an hour before I eat. Take this medicine on an empty stomach. Take it with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating breakfast. Also, it should be taken at least 4 hours before or 4 hours after antacids, calcium, or iron supplements. At least that is what is says on my label.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine in the morning, at least a half an hour before I eat. Take this medicine on an empty stomach. Take it with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating breakfast. Also, it should be taken at least 4 hours before or 4 hours after antacids, calcium, or iron supplements. At least that is what is says on my label.

^^ This. If you're not going to take it as prescribed then you need to speak with your doctor. You limit absorption and hinder the effects of the medication otherwise.

Edit: Spelling.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There will always be someone who finds this "works" and you may even be one of them. The question is "does it work properly?" If you hinder absorption that just means it's not going to be working to the fullest extent possible and you may have erratic results. For me, it's my forever drug. I don't have a thyroid any more, so I need the levo to work. And for me, that means taking it as soon as I wake up and doing every other possible part of the morning routine before eating. Shower, clothing, makeup, lunch preparation, all that usually takes about 45 minutes, which so far, has been enough time.

I also imagine it may depend on what you need the levo for. I've read here in the forums that there are several other brands of med that could do the same thing. Maybe one of them has instructions that fit your lifestyle better.

Good luck!
  • kekkalynne
    Options
    I will speak with my doctor when I go back.

The problem is that I get up 4-5 days a week at 4:30AM to go to the gym and then go to work. So on weekends I won't be up at 4:30AM.. Unless it's okay to take it and go back to sleep? I'm just trying to figure out how this will work best for me.

Also if I take it at 4:30AM and then go work out, there is no time for breakfast. My schedule is just super crazy.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I never take mine at the same time every day - it all depends when I get up. I try to take it at least 30 minutes before eating (sometimes I've also taken it a night) but sometimes I eat breakfast straight away if I'm REALLY hungry. When I take it never seems to have affected my blood test results.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you DO take it every day. I can really feel if I miss it for a few days (I'm forgetful when I pack away bags sometimes...and with renewing prescriptions!). :smile:
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok, I take mine as soon as I wake up. and then eat an hour afterwards.

So, if I wake up at 530, I take it at 530
    If I wake up at a different time, same routine.

Now, if you are trying to lose weight and notice it is more difficult please do not get frustrated until they say your hormone levels are good.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    What do y'all think about black coffee?

I try to take mine the second I wake up and then wait a good 20-40 minutes before I eat anything. I cook my kids food right away, though, and really more often than I care to admit, I sneak a bite before my 30 minutes is up. My levels are fine. Maybe they would be better if I was better at it.

Personally, my schedule is just insane. I consider it a job well done if I manage to take it every day at all. I keep old bottles at lower doses around to stash in various places so that if I have forgotten or wasn't at home in the morning I can take one and a half. I'm sure my endo would love that!

As everyone's grandpa probably said: don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine between 2-4am. Usually I go on a bathroom run about this time and take it then. I keep my pills by my bed and bring water with me each evening. I've never been told to take it at the exact same time everyday??

It was however expressed very clearly not to eat or drink anything for at least an hour! NO coffee or tea in that hour!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I found taking mine on an empty stomach or a full stomach never made a difference in my levels. Not when I was on Synthroid and not now on WP Thyroid. What does work tho is consistency. I wake up at the same time every day and that is when I take my pills. I'm usually eating 10 minutes after that and drinking coffee 20 minutes later. If you're taking at the same time as breakfast, then just make sure you do that everyday.

Recent studies have suggested that it might even be best to take thyroid meds at nite.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/bedtime.htm
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the replies you have had...it is important to take it on an an empty stomach, and be careful what you are taking alongside it.....I was advised by the British Thyroid Association, along time ago, as I work shifts, that to take it around the same time...plus or minus 2 hours is fine.

So, I take it, on average at around 8am, so when on an early, and up at 6am, I can take it....or at the weekends, on a day off or late duty, I take it at around 10 am.....
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I have been taking mine at my middle of the night (3-4a), but this morning I woke up and my pill was still there on the nightstand! ???? So I took it with my coffee. I don't think one day will be detrimental, but I might start taking it before I go to bed if this happens again! I have to have my coffee before I do anything in the morning!
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I always take mine on an empty stomach, even if when I wake up varies. That is the only way I've found it to do the best good for me.
    When I'm not hurt, it typically goes like this: wake up, take meds, go exercise, bathe, THEN eat. Easily 30 minutes have passed since taking the meds once I get around to eating.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on Tirosint a couple years ago because I had this problem, it is a little gel type pearl that absorbs a lot quicker so you do not need to wait as long before eating etc. It really worked for me but it was pretty darn expensive and I was an unemployeed college student at the time so after using the free box she gave me and then using the coupon for my first prescription of it I had to go back on Synthroid (which can also be expensive). I think I may ask her at my next appointment for it again as I am now a full time employeed graduate. Might want to look into it....
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also want breakfast first thing in the morning, so I just set an alarm to go off earlier. I work the evening shift, so I get up around 10 or 11 a.m. But I set my alarm to 7 a.m., at which point I wake up and take my Synthroid and go right back to sleep.
  • 44scoobydoo
    44scoobydoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take mine upon waking somewhere between 5am-7am. By the time I watch a little tv or get ready for work the hour has passed. Always on empty stomach with a glass of water.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Over thinking this thing. Yes, should be on an empty stomach and about the same time, but doesn't always happen that way. Do the best you can, take the medicine sometime in the morning if you can. You need a plan that works for you. Sounds as if you are really trying to change! This is exciting, keep up the good work!
  • carmelamadeleine
    carmelamadeleine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I take mine first thing in the morning. I have my pill bottle and water bottle by my night stand. So as soon as i get up before i get out of bed, i already drank it. My doc always reiterates that. On empty stomach, water, not to be taken with other pills.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    On 175/200mcg alt day and take it first thing in the morning around 0500. Drink 16 oz of water around 0600 and another on my morning commute. Have a protein bar around 0800. On weekends I do the same, but eat a little earlier and try to fit in cardio before 0800.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been taking mine for 3 yrs and automatically take it at 7am when the alarm goes off. I know by the time I finish what I have to do I am able to eat . Even if I feel like I am not hungey I have something small til I do........