i think i figured out my plateau culprit

Options
lebowski8
lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
Just thought I'd share this personal experiment and insight.

So I started with a Low GI (South Beach) style diet in late 2011 when my weight was 260 and my blood work was trending worse. I rapidly went down to 250, and then by late 2012 went down to a point where my weight hovered around 232-236 for the next 12 months. Starting September 2013 I went keto at 233ish. I was disappointed that even by March, I really only dropped 5 pounds.

On 5/12 At 226ish I started a "radical" plan. I recognized a little carb creep, so I cut out the nighttime yogurt snack. I cut out artificially sweetened drinks (only 1-2 a day). and I cut out my daily bourbon, low carb beer, or wine (about 2 servings),

I haven't increased exercise (the only thing I do is slowly walk 30-60 minutes daily and some occasional landscaping work).

The results have been great. I'm down to 219ish now, and I've added back a little diet coke for the last week.

I'm going to guess it was the booze. Though it was incredibly pleasurable, I think this is what has been keeping my weight loss to such a glacial slowness since September 2013. Cutting out that 6pm cocktail was only tough for a week. Since then, I've been fine.

That's it for me -- the booze. I don't have any social events planned til July, so let's see if I can keep this up!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It probably was the booze, like you said. I like a drink myself, but I have abstained (except with rare exceptions) while trying to lose weight. I just find that it gets me off track.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drop of the stuff myself over the past 2 months, but way back when I originally did Atkins after about 6 months I added back in a low-carb beer on the weekends. To my surprise I found that actually would help kick me out of weight loss stalls for whatever reason.

I'll definitely be having a drink or two during my cruise in a couple weeks (I plan on still doing my fasting blood tests during my vacation) and seeing what kind of impact that will have on my effort.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love my Mich Ultra (1 or 2 with dinner) but have notice since I cut back (only on weekends with foods like steak) my weight is slowing creeping down.

Now I just drink water or green tea with dinner. The first week was a little hard but more from habit then anything else.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've read that alcohol, especially red wine, can enhance fat burning. That may very well be the case unless you're like me and turn into the damn cookie monster when booze is involved. :D
  • jackfox68
    jackfox68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink top shelf bourbon and it does not seem to effect my ketones. Not sure about the weight loss, I am down 7 lbs in about 2 weeks.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can say confidently, after 2 months since posting, i'm still sure it was the booze causing the slow-as-molasses weight loss. I have added back around one diet pop a day and a serving of full fat yogurt 3 times a week.

Feb 4: 227
    May 10: 226.

During these 3 months I was averaging around 1 drink a day, usually low carb beer or bourbon. 1 pound of weight loss. Keep in mind I was using keto stix twice daily and they showed moderate to high ketosis. Carbs under 30g.

May 12ish I cut out the booze completely.
    I lost 3 pounds quickly.

July 25: 213... I had drinks last weekend-- a planned occasion. I'm holding out again till Oktoberfest.

I haven't been tracking what I eat, eyeballing my portions nowadays, etc. My exercise level has been the same for 2 years -- walking 30 minutes a day.

I still wish it was the Yogurt causing that stall!!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle or two of red wine most weekends, and it hasn't slowed me down at all. I do not touch diet soda, or beer, or spirits though.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Alcohol should be ok in ketosis in small amounts with meals, but unless you have some carbs along with it, huge quantities can get you in serious trouble. The liver prioritises alcohol detoxification over ketone production, so if you overdo the alcohol while you're in ketosis, your blood sugar can drop dangerously low, without the ketones around to compensate.

Solution: avoid the hard liquor, focus on top shelf red wine instead. :-)
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    By the way: Over the last few weeks (months) there were three events like the Oktoberfest in my area - I went to every one of them and had some beer (and more), and managed to emerge still in ketosis the next day. Here's how to do it:

1. Fast on that day
    2. Just before going, do some sprints/HIIT and resistance training
    3. Obviously, don't eat any carbs while you're there
    4. Don't overdo the beer - have some (remember, you need some carbs around with alcohol), but well below your limit
    5. Try to switch to something like Tequila shots - or my perfect low carb cocktail: A mojito without sugar.

:-)
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I had a few drinks, a few Michelob Ultras and some vodka with diet soda. I still managed to keep my carbs under 25 gram. I noticed on Monday that it did not kick me out of ketosis. I still try to keep my alcohol consumption to a minimum, and only on weekends.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is dehydrating so I usually see a bit of a drop if I drink and stay under my calorie goals. If you changed nothing but cutting alcohol it may have been it or it could be the 200-400+ extra calories you are cutting. Have you run you numbers in awhile and are you still eating at a deficit?