Anyone doing Bradley Method classes?

Options
kicklikeaGIRL
kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
Is there anyone else out there that is currently doing the Bradley Method or has done the Bradley method in the past? I took my first class last night and I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there that is taking the class.

Replies

• meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing classes, but I bought the Bradley method book to read on my own for ideas. I love a lot of the ideas and mechanics of birth. My husband isn't really a very good labor support person, though, so I have a doula...which I know the husband/wife relationship is a large part of Bradley. Aside from that aspect, I think its great info and will help to know.

What are the classes like?
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    That's great! Is this your first?

I had looked into a doula...and I probably would have gone that direction before I moved because my friend was a doula. But, in southern California it's pretty costly (over $1200), and that only includes the initial meeting and the delivery. Just out of curiosity...how much does it cost for your doula and is it something you are having to pay out of pocket?

We'll see how my husband does as a labor supporter....he seems pretty on board... so far...haha.

The classes are great so far, I've only been to 2 classes, and they were my instructor's "free" classes, we officially start September 8th. (I'm 22 weeks, with my first). The classes seem to follow the books very well--we watch video clips, discuss questions in the books, practice exercises and laboring techniques, have guest speakers, and have question/answer sessions. We also have a workbook that has different "homework" assignments to complete for each class. I like the idea of being as prepared as I can, especially with my first and with so many unknowns.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm English and I've never heard if this before. What does it involve?

I'm not pregnant now...my third is 17 weeks tomorrow...but I'm just curious. I've had 3 'natural' births by the way, with just gas and air, and my husband, and a midwife, with me, so feel free to ask any questions :smile:
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's great! Is this your first?

I had looked into a doula...and I probably would have gone that direction before I moved because my friend was a doula. But, in southern California it's pretty costly (over $1200), and that only includes the initial meeting and the delivery. Just out of curiosity...how much does it cost for your doula and is it something you are having to pay out of pocket?

We'll see how my husband does as a labor supporter....he seems pretty on board... so far...haha.

The classes are great so far, I've only been to 2 classes, and they were my instructor's "free" classes, we officially start September 8th. (I'm 22 weeks, with my first). The classes seem to follow the books very well--we watch video clips, discuss questions in the books, practice exercises and laboring techniques, have guest speakers, and have question/answer sessions. We also have a workbook that has different "homework" assignments to complete for each class. I like the idea of being as prepared as I can, especially with my first and with so many unknowns.

Wow! That is crazy expensive!!! Have you looked on facebook for a local natural birth community? This is my 3rd and I'm actually doing a home birth this time around (after two less than enjoyable hospital births). I found my doula via local facebook groups for natural birth and cloth diapering. There were quite a few doulas in my area, but this one had bought a cloth diaper from me in the past, so I wanted to return the favor by supporting her. :) (I make cloth diapers, etc and sell a lot within my community, so thats how I've "met" (via facebook) a lot of similar minded people). Anyway, she only charges $300 and that is typical around here. $300-400 tops! I'm really lucky b/c we are doing a 50/50 barter, so I only have to pay $150 and I'm making her $150 worth of cloth diapers. (She is also pregnant! lol) I'd never be able to afford one if they cost that much! My home birth is out of pocket ($3,000) and we had to get a small loan for it. (But its worth it to me! :) )

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow, so I'm pretty close to the end of this journey, but I feel pretty confident, partly due to the Bradley book! I probably need to start referencing it daily and practicing more! Good luck to you!!! I think going to classes is awesome!

I've been
  • justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the Bradley Method but I do have a doula and I will say that from the time we had our ds to now 4.5 years she has increased her fee from $400 to $800. She has just gotten more experience over that time frame. When we had her first she had only been to a few births. I reccomend checking out Dona.org which is a huge registery of doulas. I found my doula butting in on a conversation at a birthing class and I'm so glad I did! She was amazing during our first birth and we had to have her for this one. My husband is great at supporting me but she just made him a total rock star! Plus having 2 people there for ME was awesome!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    Awwww, I would love a doula! We'll see how it goes this time around, and if my husband needs some extra support, I will definitely save up for next time. Don't get me wrong...I totally think they are worth the money spent, especially a good doula with a lot of experience. But, I think it's a shame that I can't use my Health Savings Account or Flex Account to pay for it. I also think it's a shame that some insurances don't cover home birth or birthing centers.

I am going to talk to my doctor at my next appointment about her being on-board with me doing natural delivery with no unnecessary interventions.... if she isn't on board, then I might look into getting a midwife and delivering at the local hospital that has a birth center and regular hospital (depending on your level of risk).

Have any of you ever switched doctors mid way through? I love my current OB, but if she's not on board with me and is going to be pressuring me up a storm in the delivery room, then I will have to find someone that better fits my wants.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had my third in a midwife led unit. It was a really good experience, and I used the birthing pool. Definitely try for that if it's possible. I'm in England so health care is free, so as long as you are risk assessed and ok, you can use the midwife led unit or have a home birth.

Babies here are delivered by midwives unless there are major complications. There is no-one pushing you to have epidurals and c-sections...quite the opposite.

I don't like the idea of a doula. No offence.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had both a doula and took the Bradley classes. I used neither during my labor, which ended up being lightening fast (3 hours). The Bradley Method classes were a really nice way to learn about the birth process and meet other expecting couples, with whom I am still friends. We took a class from an instructor in training, so the cost was significantly lower. The other couples in the class did use the techniques extensively during their labors.

With the doula, we hired one who was also still in training, and her fee was $400 instead of $1200, which is the going rate here. Not that we really would have used her during that short labor, but her inexperience really showed. My husband called her when I went into labor and also when we got to the birth center. She basically ignored the warning signs and told him to text her when things got serious -well, maybe my husband is not the best communicator, but in those circumstances who can blame him for not being able to explain clearly what was happening? In the end, I was glad she was not there and the birth was a more private event, but I am still angry that she insisted on collecting the second half of her fee because we hadn't expressly told her to come.
    When I asked the Birth Center about doulas, they said they've seen some who are really amazing and some who are terrible and should not be charging as much as they do. So be sure to vet your doula well and talk to a lot of people before you hire.