Food Allergies :-(

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
I've discovered that I have an allergy towards eggs, chicken, tomato, and avocado by way of elimination and a couple of these foods have been my staple on Primal B. My symptoms have become stronger after slowly adding them back to confirm.
Have any of you taken a medical allergy test to confirm, or just listen to your bodies and simply avoid those foods?

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had food intolerance testing done privately and it confirmed an intolerance to eggs, dairy and gluten. I am currently ignoring these results and it's not great need to get my act together. It stinks when your intolerant food is something you eat regularly and really like although not surprising. Hope you figure it out quickly.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I plan to get food allergy testing done in January. I am pretty sure that I have a severe allergy to milk since it makes me vomit and makes my tongue and throat itchy. My DH accidentally changed our insurance to a health savings account. we do not have enough money in it to pay the testing. Health savings accounts are not the way to go if you or your kids have chronic health issues. Just FYI. My DD has food allergies to milk, peanuts, and beef. I have a feeling she got that from me.:(
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Thanks joy, the main thing I'm finding challenging is breakfast, but I improvise with coconut wraps with protein and veggies, or leftovers from the precious lunch or dinner, yum!

Manda, it sounds similar to a flex spending account. I have extra cash in it. I'll check with my insurance to see if they cover it or have my Doc submit a referral. I've always had lactose issues since I was a kid, never really took to dairy products, so I'm not missing anything in that department.
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had both food allergy and food sensitivity testing done. I generally get my food sensitivity panel updated annually, because the list can change.

BTW...I am laughing at your online name and MINE! Grok on!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I have had both food allergy and food sensitivity testing done. I generally get my food sensitivity panel updated annually, because the list can change.

BTW...I am laughing at your online name and MINE! Grok on!

Thanks for the info about the test lab, it's much appreciated, and I'm digging your name too :laugh:
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have ankylosing spondylitis and I get an almost immediate reaction to wheat with increased joint pain. It's so pronounced you'd think I would never test it again, but I do from time to time because I find it so hard to believe!

But because I am really fighting for a quality of life I am...."So Determined" to stay the course!

Rosey
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have not had any testing done, I go by my reactions to things. I find that when I eat something I am potentially sensitive or allergic to, my nose stuffs up and my head fills up, then later I get GI symptoms and cramping. For me, sometimes overkill upsets my system and then when I go off something for an extended period of time I can have it again in limited amounts. I have the biggest issue giving up cheese long term! But if I don't over do it, it is OK for the most part. Would I feel better without? Sure. But it is my demon I am still trying to slay! :devil:
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had allergy testing done when I wasn't sure if my dairy problem was an allergy or intolerance. They did a scratch test and said I'm not allergic. However, my body acts like I either am allergic o have a VERY serious intolerance. It's good to confirm if its an allergy and you might need an epi-pen. However, it might be negative and just be a serious intolerance.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me I already have an EpiPen for bee sting allergy, if I should ever need it for food allergies!