Vacation starts today, now what?

Options
So I'm leaving for Las Vegas today and I'll be there until Tuesday. It's a family reunion and I'm concerned about eating. I packed my breakfast shakes and protein bars, so I have breakfast and snacks covered. But one of the nights we have Buca Di Bepo catering and I think we're going to a buffet for lunch one day.

Anyone have any helpful tips for eating when you're on vacation and have little to no control over meals???

Replies

• LadyNiteOwl
    LadyNiteOwl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I went to my family reunion Sunday and tried to pick the healthy food choices. I picked two things, a tablespoon of green bean casserole and a tablespoon of german potato salad, not so good for me. I ate salad and a piece of grilled chicken breast too. My blood glucose was 99 Sunday night. Hopefully there will be some good food choices at the buffet, Please just do the best you can and don't stress out.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am leaving on a cruise September 14th I am going to do the best I can to eat right but, lets be honest one week on a cruise will not be the end of the world. Buca Di Bepo has some really good pasta dishes I have had pasta one time in the last eight months. I would probably try some but hey that's me I live dangerously. in fact on the cruise to Canada I may even try Pasta and Mashed potatoes in the same day. But hey just to warn every one don't try that at home. After all like I said "I like to live dangerously":laugh: .
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    There are some good suggestions on how to make healthy choices at buffets and eating out here: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/weight-loss/food-choices/fast-food-and-restaurants/other-restaurant-food.html ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have yet to run into a restaurant where you cannot substitute healthy options (e.g. steamed vegetables) for less than healthy options (e.g. french fries). Even the ones that cannot seem to figure out how to pour me a half-glass of milk can do the substitution. :wink:

Many activities/vacation options actually ask if you have special dietary requirements. They will try to accommodate. You can take advantage of that opportunity.

The only place I've had trouble finding something to eat is a small, family-style, fully catered affair. Even then, I just pick and then grab something later (e.g. stop at one of the fast food places and grab a salad).

But really, we all know these options exist.

Instead, maybe what you're asking is: Is it okay for me to cheat because I'm going on vacation?

Do you have to? No, definitely not, there are options. Is it okay to cheat? Only you can decide that.

Either way you choose. Enjoy your vacation. :smile:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation I make the conscious decision to try to eat at maintenance for the duration. That gives me permission to indulge a little but keep it under control and not put any weight on. Generally I've been successful doing that over the last year, I might put on some water weight from the extra sodium, but it is gone a week after I get back.

When you don't have control over your food options, you just have to make the best choices you can. I aim for high protein foods and lower carb veggies and salads. Also remember portion control. Even if they serve a lot or it is a buffet I try to take portions that are the same size as what I've learned to prepare at home.

I also tend to test my blood sugars a little more than I do at home. If my BG numbers are higher than my normal range at home, that is a sign I'm indulging too much and I need to make healthier food choices.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like the way you consciously choose to stick with healthy eating choices while on vacation and at the same time give yourself a bit extra leeway. It sounds like it's working really well for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • tragerjs
    Options
    Well I went and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. I was able to track and stick to a healthy way of eating 3 of the 5 days. The other 2 days were the party and the day of leftovers. I feel good about the 3 days I was really careful about not eating desserts and such and I feel okay that I splurged on the other 2 days. Overall, I appreciate all the advice!!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great to hear that you feel so positive about the choices you made during your vacation. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and stuck with your overall goals. Good for you! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Enjoy the vacation. We all need that. Eat salads and proteins and carbs...some carbs are ok too.