60% Effort vs. 75% Effort vs. 80% Effort

Options
Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
I really have a problem perceiving how much effort I put into a swim. I know when I'm doing my slowest (it's the point right before sinking) and I know how to sprint (I can't go any faster), but when it comes to everything in between, I'm at a loss. I know why I'm at a loss - effort doesn't always correlate with output, output can't always be sustained to the end of the distance, and energy levels fluctuate day to day. So basically, because of changing physical conditions, I always feel different swimming at the same speeds when swimming the same distances.

So, how does one measure effort given all of the changing variables that are at play? I can do "faster than the previous lap" but whether or not I swim 25% faster than the previous lap/interval is another story. And it's not like I can stop and take my pulse and then do the math on a 15 second RI. Even the RIs change everything.

Am I just overthinking this?

Replies

• ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It's just a rough WAG anyway, don't put too much thought into it. I never do. I don't think I would be able to tell any difference between, say, a 75% effort and an 80% effort anyway. I usually think in terms of easy, cruise, fast, AFAP, etc.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    the % is based off of your max heart rate-we used this system when I trained in school to measure our exertion. Measure your heart rate manually after a set to see if you are in your desired range. In time you will be able to go just by feel.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    the % is based off of your max heart rate-we used this system when I trained in school to measure our exertion. Measure your heart rate manually after a set to see if you are in your desired range. In time you will be able to go just by feel.

ooOOHHhh! I get it now! I've been pushing close to 95% if I measure by heart rate. My max heart rate 175, and yesterday I wore my HR monitor in the pool for the first time and I was getting up to 164.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    May I ask what HRM you have? I'm considering getting the Polar FT1 for use in the pool but would appreciate any recommendations :)
  • dg98adam
    dg98adam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't put much math into it... I have a hard enough time remembering which lap I am on.... in fact I swim 100m's at a time, each set in a different stroke (breast, free, back, side, breast...) to keep track.

I base effort on how many "right hand arm movements/strokes" per length I swim...

For Example:
    I think right now, easy free is ~#13-14 right arm movements.
    That's probably 50% effort (just a bit more than the easy warm up I do).
    Increase it to 75%, and I'll speed up, which I get more pull and speed so the # changes.
    For me, not much difference between "all out" once I put more effort past that.

I do pick a pace consistent for the entire 100m.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    May I ask what HRM you have? I'm considering getting the Polar FT1 for use in the pool but would appreciate any recommendations :)

It's a Polar FT7.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use heart rate to determine % effort. But is often do sets where is need to swim the 3rd 25 of a 100 at a harder effort. I find either just putting more powered into my kick OR into my pull increases the fort to still be below sprint but above cruise control.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Technique training should be at 75%.
    To improve your PR you should be training at 90% / 95% and occasionally 100%.

You should be able to keep swimming at 75% for a prolonged time without rest, say 10 minutes or more.
    At 95%... you should be giving nearly everything you got.