Premarin

Options
Binnee95
Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
Any users on Premarin and how have you fared on it? I was given some at the Gynecologist today and it seems to have so many side effects... It has a lot of good reviews online but I am confused with all the bad side effects listed.

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Are you having any unmanageable symptoms? If not, I'd advise against using it. It wasn't for me. It brought back periods and cramping, so I stopped it after only one month.
  • Binnee95
    Options
    Yes, I am having a lot of symptoms. I would really like a natural alternative that really works.

My gynecologist gave me the Premarin cream without even discussing risks or any other alternative.
    Apparently she thinks it is fine. But reading the pamphlet in the box was quite scary!
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am having a lot of symptoms. I would really like a natural alternative that really works.

My gynecologist gave me the Premarin cream without even discussing risks or any other alternative.
    Apparently she thinks it is fine. But reading the pamphlet in the box was quite scary!

HI, I use estrace cream for dryness; for hot flashes, etc during menopause I did vitamins and soy, if you want more info let me know. The soy I ordered on line and I took the shakes and that helped me through menopause. I wish I could find a natural alternative that works for the dryness :-( The below website compares the two.

http://treato.com/Estrace,Premarin/?a=s
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    P gave me the worst headache I was scared to use it a second time. I have since tried frozen coconut oil pellets and were messy but had no side effects, and helped me get my groove back. I made them with two spoons and froze them between two sheets of plastic wrap.
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks Liz: I am going to try the coconut oil...I also have LS so I am trying to deal with that as well, the natural way.

Have a great day all :-)
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was taken off of Premarin and put on Estrace after my hysterectomy. Less side effects and I feel better. Still trying to get control over my weight gain but feel better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    P gave me the worst headache I was scared to use it a second time. I have since tried frozen coconut oil pellets and were messy but had no side effects, and helped me get my groove back. I made them with two spoons and froze them between two sheets of plastic wrap.
    Say more about this please?
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes- I had terrible headaches on it. not had a problem since. What is does the coconut oil do, and why is it frozen?
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been using the premarin patch since it side steps processing by the liver. Initially I got one period but haven't since. Did put on about 4 lb, but I had started a heavy lifting program so more likely the gain was due to that. No real side effects. Helped with brain fog, dryness, and hot flashes. There's some speculation that it helps with muscle retention and growth, I'm trying to put on muscle in my 50s, while premarin is safer, then taper off towards the end of this decade. My left hip showed threshold bone density so trying to build that back up this decade.

My MIL is in her 70s and weight trains, she looks a lot less frail than my mother, who only rides a bike once in awhile. Anyway I'm hoping the combination of weight training, high protein consumption, vitamin D and premarin will help set ^me up for a healthier old age :)

HTH
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been using the premarin patch since it side steps processing by the liver. Initially I got one period but haven't since. Did put on about 4 lb, but I had started a heavy lifting program so more likely the gain was due to that. No real side effects. Helped with brain fog, dryness, and hot flashes. There's some speculation that it helps with muscle retention and growth, I'm trying to put on muscle in my 50s, while premarin is safer, then taper off towards the end of this decade. My left hip showed threshold bone density so trying to build that back up this decade.

My MIL is in her 70s and weight trains, she looks a lot less frail than my mother, who only rides a bike once in awhile. Anyway I'm hoping the combination of weight training, high protein consumption, vitamin D and premarin will help set ^me up for a healthier old age :)

HTH
    GREAT!!
  • Binnee95
    Options
    I have a lot of bone pain and am afraid of bone loss, especially in my right hip but I did hurt it falling on it three years ago...
    I have just started school and I am finding that I have to work extremely hard to recall things that I just learned. Seems I have to work three times as hard to memorize, and forget about names and places!
    The flashes have been better controlled with my diet but for my other symptoms I still feel I need something.
    I would be interested in the Premarin patch but I am also bothered by what the horses go through to get Premarin.
    How bad are the headaches that some of you are getting. Does taking an Advil help or do you have to wait til they go away?
    I did ask my regular GP about the Premarin and he said it should be fine as long as it is only six months to a year.. don't really know what to do...sigh.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was on Premarin (pill) for about 8 months after trying other options such as estradiol generic pills and the Minivelle patch. It took about 4 weeks to level out and then I was fine. No headaches or anything. I changed to generic Vivelle dot transdermal patch after my new gyno wanted me off of it as she believes bioidentical hormones are better for the body and less stress on the liver.

Maybe talk to your doctor about getting a DEXA (bone) scan. I had one right after my hysterectomy so I had a baseline and another one just recently. It's now been 2 years since my hysterectomy and my bones look excellent. I contribute it to calcium supplements and taking hrt.

I would give it 2-4 weeks with Premarin (or any other hrt you choose to try) before you make a decision as it takes time for your body to regulate.

EDIT - Just saw this post is really old... lol. Oops!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Since this was re-started, I will answer Binnee95 about the headaches I had. Not really bad, just a dull, won't-go-away type. When I switched to the real Progesterone I got optical migraines. I know it was from the medication as I would take them before bed, and wake up in the middle of the night with the migraine. Hasn't happened since I stopped.