August 30, 2014

Options
PinkNinjaLaura
PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
10614303_10152354365873196_278718348451357813_n.jpg?oh=38d0cae007c535c32da604c0eccd1383&oe=5479EA1B&__gda__=1417443915_fa94b97702a3f8791449fe2d045efdbf

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Bumping today's thread.

Jane maybe we can be virtual training buddies -- I'm hoping to do a triathlon next year too. I started with running and now am trying to become a stronger swimmer. I've got a long way to go with that. Also bought a bike but at least I biked a lot as a kid so it's not quite as foreign to me. I was in the water a lot as a kid but didn't do much actual swimming. Valma has already completed some tris, and Donna has been contemplating one as well.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the double posting! I've started posting in the mornings instead of the evenings because I have found it keeps me on track better during the day if I start off stating my goals, instead of at the end of the day. I've been sleepier and less alert and didn't even think to scroll back to check for old starters.

With my swimming, I bought "Swim workouts for Triathletes" at my local triathlon shop. It's waterproof so you can have it with you at the pool side, and lists all kinds of different workouts. Speed, endurance, force, muscular endurance, etc. It also suggests training plans for the various triathlon distances. It helps break up the monotony. Also, if your planning on beginning training for a triathlon, I highly recommend "the triathlete's training bible". It's got some really great stuff on how to get started, what to train, how to train, how often, etc. I still use it, and the planning section so I plan out my year and slowly build up to my main races.

My fridge is indeed working and I got my kitchen in order yesterday! I overindulged at lunch...majorly. Silver lining is I'm actually no longer used to all the junk and felt so gross afterward I just skipped dinner and went straight to bed. I'm not condoning skipping meals, but it's nice to know that my body has adjusted to better food again. :)

I got up and ran 8 miles today and it felt good! Those first two weeks are always the toughest after taking a break, and so it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel...my body is almost adjusted!

Goals for today:
    Count my calories.
    adjust my playlist so all songs have a better flow (which is huge for me on long runs.)
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspirational quote. Needed it today.

I got my butt up and ran/walked 4 miles today. pretty happy since I walked my first little bit to warm up and still kept it down to about a 12 minute split. not fast, but not my slowest either. I'm definitely not looking for fast.

Husband is out running 16 miles. I need to remember that I don't have to keep up with him. It's just disheartening that I can't do those things.

I am however happy that our running is inspiring my 17 year old son and he is out for cross country and went on an optional practice this morning. I'm proud of him. And he sweats and says it's hard - that makes my heart warm to know that it's work for the young too. : )
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I really needed that quote today, was holding even this week then went on 2 day trip and went off diet thinking the extra hiking would cover it...not! Gained weight.

I enjoyed most of trip but I forgot mosquito repellant and got bit and got allergic reaction, I don't get strong enough from bites to need epi pen but I need my bendryl and I forgot to pack.

Husband had some tylenol pm (benedryl is in it) so i took that at night so was woozy and felt like I had a cold yesterday. Came home took more and slept hard. Still feel like cold hangover.

I usually keep benedryl and mosquito stuff in pack but grabbed a empty different pack...another lesson learned!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    So much awesome in this thread already this morning!

Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction Marla. Years ago I got allergy shots and as soon as I got home from the clinic I'd take Benadryl. It knocked me out but that stuff works. Hope you're starting to feel better.

Jen that's fantastic about your son! It has to be so rewarding to see your healthy choices make an influence like that.

Valma I'm very fortunate in that my personal trainer is a triathlete, so he tells me what to do and I just have to follow instructions. I see him 3 times a week for strength training but he coordinates the workouts I do on my own too. This morning I did my first run/bike/run. Jason (trainer) thought this would be good for me since I'm still restricted in how much I can run until my foot heals. 2 mile run (11:42 & 11:20), 12.28 mile bike ride (55:56 - avg speed 13.2mph), 2 mile run (10:31 & 9:51), and finally a 1 mile walk (17:59) to try to get feeling back in my legs. The bike to run transition was weird. I felt like I didn't have control over my legs, and yet I just ran my first sub-10 minute mile. The closest I came before was a 10:03 in the 3rd mile of a 5K race I ran earlier this summer.
  • toeatapeach
    toeatapeach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm really excited by all the triathletes on this thread!

Velma- I will definitely check out that book, I could probably use all the help I can get.

Laura- that would be great, I'm pretty comfortable with the swimming (I was nationally ranked in my teens and early twenties) so am always up for trading tips on that, but am hopeless at running- all bulky upper body and not much else. Congrats on the sub 10min mile and a successful transition.

Jen- I love to hear how big a difference setting an example can make! I'm sort of trying to do the reverse with my mom. =)

I'm having a super relaxing day in my hometown doing some canning with my mom. I forgot my running shoes at home so the only exercise today will the hour long walk with the dog.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Definitely some very exciting and inspiring stuff going on in here! Just the kind of inspiration I'm needing!
    Swimming and biking were my favorite things as a kid (I used to bike to the pool, swim all day, and bike home) and I would love to incorporate them into my life again--but I don't see any tri-s in my future. But I also always loved archery and canoeing (at Summer camp) and would love to find some way to at least get some paddling done (kayaking or standup paddle board) in the future (maybe after both kids are in elem school).

Today we just took another little neighborhood walk, but I'm still fairly sedentary atm. I've caught a bit of a creative writing bug lately and I'm having a hard time finding balance. I have this story and these characters in my head, demanding to be let out. I'll just have to keep pushing myself to find balance. In other news, my husband snuck home with a cake for my birthday tomorrow. I see the box in the fridge, but don't dare look inside. I can only assume it is absolutely indulgent. All I can do is to enjoy it tomorrow and then "move on" come Monday.

Have a good one!