I just can't lose the weight! ugghh!

Options
s_light
s_light Posts: 58 Member
I've been Levothyroxine for two years now, and for two years I've bounced between 195 and 210, I don't seem to lower than 195 or higher than 210 no matter what I do. If I eat clean, or eat dirty it makes no difference, exercise or no exercise; again no difference. I take my pill between 6:30 and 7:00 am, make my protein shake around 7:20 and have my coffee at 8. I don't take any other supplements or medications, I have a consistent sleep schedule 95% of the time. My TSH levels are below 0.5 at all times ( I get it checked in between normal checks, so very 2 months). How do I lose the weight? This is driving me crazy!!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I read your page. Please may I congratulate you on your academic achievements more impressive because of the path you have trodden. I fear the removal of your thyroid and the cause puts you in a very difficult spot which is out of my sphere of reference. I would hope your T3 and T4 levels are equally as good as your TSH but my suspicion is what ever they are, they are not at a level your body would be happiest with. I have read many doctors test only tsh and this on its own is indicative of what? Is there no ongoing support from the team which provided the surgery or endocrinologist at least? I hate the way in many situations, we seem to be told, "We've done the job now get on with the consequences."

I have seen that many wait for an hour after taking their medication before having anything other than the water to accompany the pills I wonder if this would make any difference for you though it can make mornings difficult to time. I am using the paediatric liquid because I can't take the maize starch filler/binder. I discovered my reaction to it many years ago before it was noted it is a goitrogen(?) on some lists. I wonder if you might find something on the "Stop the thyroid Madness" web site to help, it has a wealth of information and I always wish I had written down how I found the information I cling to. You could also try your own national thyroid support site for information.

I take it as read that you weigh, count and log everything precisely not going over without preparation, exercise or accumulation of calories held over from previous days or will be under on subsequent ones. I don't think it gets any easier with time. There does seem to be a thought to keep carbohydrates to 130 daily but I have not tried this yet.

I hope you receive a more informative reply than mine. All the best
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Does your protein shake have calcium in it? I was told not to ingest ANY calcium for 4 hours after taking the Levothyroxine . I would assume this means 4 hours prior as well. It's just a thought.
    Edit to add: I have found some weight loss help (and stalling the gain) with a low carb diet.
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I believe that you're suppose to wait 1 hour before eating or drinking anything ..... That being said... A protein shake may have soy which blocks thyroid Meds
  • shondaj81
    shondaj81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm new to this thread and was interested in how you're doing on low carb with the thyroid meds?

I'm desperate to loose 30lbs and keep it off. I fluctuate a lot between 188-195 it's crazy because I was 160 before I was diagnosed with hypo thyroid. Any help would be great.
  • Janette3x4
    Options
    Hi shonda-
    I keep my carbs in the 70-100 gram range everyday, so it's not a total low carb diet. I just found (through tracking on this site) that I was ingesting WAY too many carbs. Upwards of 250-280 a day! I see good results from cutting those down. I have heard some have had good results on a very low carb diet (VLC) but you also have to make sure you are eating high amounts of fat. Google low carb before you try it. Prior to my watching my carbs, I was gaining up to 1/2 pound a day even when watching my calories. I know some people do not think this can happen, but after I had Radio Active Iodine in March, my thyroid turned from hyper to hypo. I am now on a very low dose of levo and it also seems to help some with my motivation to get up and excersise.
    I simply cut out 90% of the processed foods, all candy/cakes/cookies and eat mostly veggies, fruits, nuts and some fruit. I also eat dairy.
    Whatever you chose, good luck!