Indoor Bike Trainer - recomendation?

Options
Warren_Abrey
Warren_Abrey Posts: 27 Member
Well, the light is fading sooner where I am, and I'm wondering what it's going to be like to cycle train indoors this winter.

As a newbie in Triathlon I've never brought my bike into the house for training before and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations as to what stand trainer I should buy, and why? Thanks!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Top of the line rec would be either a Computrainer or a Wahoo Kick'r. Both control the power you're riding at. The Kick'r hooks up directly to your drive train so you won't wear out a tire.

The best value in price to quality would be either the Cycleops Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Reliable power curves so they're as close to road feel as you can get.
  • Warren_Abrey
    Options
    Thanks! - the top of the line ones are a bit out of my range this year but I'll definately look at teh Cycleops Fluid and Kurt Kinetic trainers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I bought a used Kurt Kinetic several years ago, pretty basic but it gets the job done and is built like a tank.

Another good investment for indoor riding is a bike thong, keeps some of the sweat off the frame.
  • Warren_Abrey
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, it seems that you can buy a 'training kit' that includes the thong, mat, and riser in addition to the trainer - I'll probably go that way.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I stepped up to a CycleOps SuperMagneto Pro. It is very quiet and I wished I would have done it a full year earlier. CycleOps Customer Service is top notch as well!
  • rockybrat71
    Options
    I have NOT done a tri yet but just started training. In Oct. of 2013 I was 70 pounds heavier than I am now, the weight loss was completely based on a Trek road bike on a cycleops fluid 2. I can verify that the cycleops holds up to A LOT of use!